Intel Skylake CPU flaw is making systems crash under heavy load.

GoodBytes

theres a difference between a stress test and a torture test

you should not be torturing components

a regular stress test like aida64 or intel XTU is already enough to make sure it runs 100% stable for ANY workload

and the voltage is done automatically, you cant stop it

this is why intelligent people actually use the older version of prime95 to test components, not the versions after the AVX addition

That's your opinion for me I use prime95 as I'm sure if it's stable running prim95 then it's gonna be stable 24/7.

So what you're saying that setting the voltage manually in BIOS does nothing ?

I thought intelligent people didn't use prime95 ?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FMA_instruction_set

I think Enderman has me blocked. Someone please show that link to him-it might help educate him on Prime95 and the instruction it uses:

I'm confused is FMA an instruction set or not ?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I'm confused is FMA an instruction set or not ?

Well its part of one-AVX.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Well its part of one-AVX.

So FMA is multiple instructions ?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Why is prime95 even used anymore, its stupid

I've found another useful way how to test max temps:

post-294414-14527697990711_thumb.jpeg

So FMA is multiple instructions ?

Its just 1 instruction, which is grouped together with the others that make up the AVX instruction set.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

That's your opinion for me I use prime95 as I'm sure if it's stable running prim95 then it's gonna be stable 24/7.

So what you're saying that setting the voltage manually in BIOS does nothing ?

I thought intelligent people didn't use prime95 ?

next time read all the way to the end of a topic instead of just replying to the first thing that triggers you

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

next time read all the way to the end of a topic instead of just replying to the first thing that triggers you

:)

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

when gigabyte going to release a bios fix for the bug ?

I'm MARIA 23 years old Girl (Female) .

Christmas is all about hope , and that hope is NOT possible without JESUS king of kings . I love Christmas .

I find it laughable that people are ignoring a post in this thread posted by Raytsou which links to Tomshardware, confirming its a Prime number bug and yet everyone's still going on and on about Prime95.

Hey, additional source: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/skylake-prime-number-bug,30979.html

Apparently it isn't just "heavy load". It's when calculating prime numbers. It's a bug in the software and that's why it's fixed with a BIOS update.

As Mister Snow also tried to point this out, I foresee people ignoring this post.

As I can see, people just don't read on this forum, they go by their own convictions and hammer on it until everybody just gives up or the thread gets locked. :|

One user posted this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/skylake-prime-number-bug,30979.html

And here, I will highlight the important parts

So to elaborate, this isn't Prime95 exclusive problem it is a problem involving prime numbers and while that is certainly not a problem for the majority of regular consumers IT IS A PROBLEM for enterprises that do this kind of research and scientific calculations because this problem is not exclusive to consumer CPUs as it's affecting Skylake architecture.

They will fix it soon and everything will hopefully be back to normal operation so stop arguing if this is a problem because Prime95 is so much intensive that nothing ever is intended to run it and look at the facts. This goes for you @Enderman

Wraith/Main Rig: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | DeepCool AK620 | ASRock X570 Steel Legend | Micron Workstation ECC 64GB | XFX Speedster SWFT 319 Radeon RX 6800 XT 16GB | Topping D50s+A50s+PA3s | Seagate FireCuda 520 NVMe 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO M.2 1TB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 2TB, HPE SSD 1.92TB, Toshiba X300 4TB, Seagate SkyHawk 4TB, WD Blue 4TB, HPE HDD 8TB | LG GGW-H20L Bluray-RW, Pioneer DVR-220LBK DVD-RW | HP NC550SFP 10GbE | Super Flower Leadex II Gold 750W | CoolerMaster MasterCase MC500P - Ghost/Test Rig: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B | Asus ROG Strix X370-F | Crucial Ballistix Red 16GB | ASRock Intel ARC A770 Phantom Gaming D 8GB | Asus Xonar D2X | Crucial MX500 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 500GB | SAMA Forza 750W Gold | Antec GX200

Phantom/Win98 Rig: AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+ | Arctic Cooling Copper Silent 3 | ASRock K7S41GX | Elixir 512MB | ATI Radeon 9800 XT 256MB with ATI Silencer 3 Rev.2 | Aureal BA88DL30A-01 Vortex 2 | Seagate Barracuda 160GB | LiteOn IHDP118-18 DVD-Rom | Samsung FDD | Ccivo 300W | CiT S008B - Parvati IV/Home Unraid Rig: Dual AMD Opteron 4184 | 2x Noctua NH-U12DO A3 | Supermicro Aplus H8DCL-i | Samsung ECC 32GB | Matrox G200eW 16MB | Kioxia Exceria G2 1TB, HPE Seagate Exos 4TB, 2x Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB, 2x Toshiba E300 2TB, Seagate SkyHawk 2TB, 2x Samsung Spinpoint F4EG 2TB, Seagate Essentials 1TB, WD Green 500GB | Dell Perc H200+H310 HBA, HP NC550SFP 10GbE | Cooler Master MWE v2 850W | Corsair Obsidian 750d Full Tower - Behemoth12/Second Unraid Rig: HP Microserver G8 | Xeon E3-1220L V2 | Intel C204 | Hynix ECC 16GB | Matrox G200eH 16MB | WD Green 500GB NVMe |

I heard that the heavy workload the new cpus can't handle has something to do with prime numbers. I have no idea, I think I just read it somewhere.

• CPU AMD FX 8320E  Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P  RAM 8 GB Hyper X Fury 1866 mhz  GPU GTX 970 Strix 4gb OC  Case Antryx Verom  Storage 120 GB Kingston v300 and 1Tb Hard Drive  PSU Cooler Master GX750 80 Plus Bronze  Cooling Cooler Master Seidon 120v Plus  Mouse Logitech G602 and Roccat Kova  Operating System Windows 10

Inb4 axing OC on locked CPUs

What does that have to do with anything? Overclocking on locked CPU's disables AVX, which is what is helping contribute to the crashes. If anything, overclocking non-K CPU's has actually prevented this issue from happening on those specific Skylake CPU's. 

Unless you are referring to intel hiding a microcode update within the bios to disable it, which again, i doubt it. Even if they do, just flash back. Like i said, the problem does not exist for overclocked non-K CPU's due to the loss of AVX when adjusting BCLK. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

What does that have to do with anything? Overclocking on locked CPU's disables AVX, which is what is helping contribute to the crashes. If anything, overclocking non-K CPU's has actually prevented this issue from happening on those specific Skylake CPU's. 

Unless you are referring to intel hiding a microcode update within the bios to disable it, which again, i doubt it. Even if they do, just flash back. Like i said, the problem does not exist for overclocked non-K CPU's due to the loss of AVX when adjusting BCLK. 

I was just exploring the opportunity of Intel doing so due to the enforcement of product differentiation, but you're right. Rolling back on BIOS updates might be the way to go, but it defeats the purpose of a hotfix which is fixing the AVX errors to begin with.

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.

I was just exploring the opportunity of Intel doing so due to the enforcement of product differentiation, but you're right. Rolling back on BIOS updates might be the way to go, but it defeats the purpose of a hotfix.

Honestly, I don't think non-K overclocking is having that big of an impact on K SKU's. They are still priced way higher than MSRP, which means demand is still quite high. Not to mention non-K overclocking has its fair share of caveats:

Loss of AVX

Loss of C-States

Loss of 75% L1 Cache performance

Loss of iGPU

Loss of Hyperthreading (If using an H series board, instead of a Z series board)

Loss of CPU thermal sensor (Have to get temps from PECI instead)

I would personally pay the extra cash to avoid these headaches, as would most overclockers. The only people buying non-K CPU's with the intentions of overclocking, were the people that were going to buy them in the first place. This just means extra performance for those people. If Intel did not want this to happen, they would not have unstrapped the clock gens from each other, and certainly would not have advertised it as a feature. I believe they intended to do this. I could be wrong though. If i am, then i was smart for archiving my bios updates :)

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

The only people buying non-K CPU's with the intentions of overclocking, were the people that were going to buy them in the first place. This just means extra performance for those people.

I spot incredibly cheap LN2 overclocking for Skylake chips, whaddya think?

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.