Intel Skylake CPU flaw is making systems crash under heavy load.

GoodBytes

Intel confirms an architecture flaw in the Skylake CPU design currently sold on the market which makes the system crash under certain computationally-intensive operations.

This is not the first time that Intel shipped a product that has discovered a flaw in its design after the product was produced. It happened back with the early Pentium days, where due to FDIV issue, the CPU would at time return a wrong float point number, costing the company, at the time, $475 million U.S for the recall.

However, for the Skylake issue, Intel won't be issuing a recall. Intel says:

This issue only occurs under certain complex workload conditions, like those that may be encountered when running applications like Prime95. In those cases, the processor may hang or cause unpredictable system behavior. Intel has identified and released a fix and is working with external business partners to get the fix deployed through BIOS.

Intel says that they have found a fix, hence the lack of need to do a recall, and will be working with OEM manufacture to apply the fix in their BIOS.

Intel is not mentioning what the fix is. We don't know if it will throttle the CPU in some way, or if they play with the voltage (can 'cause issues for overclockers), or some other workaround that can potentially affect users in some ways.

There is also no word if Intel will fix the issue in future manufacture revisions of the chip, or remain with the issue, as a fix exists.

Source: http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2016/01/11/intel-skylake-crash-erratum/1

Did you experience stability issues under load with your Skylake CPU?

Why did I know something like this would happen before it was even brought out?

Well, if it's something a bios update can fix I guess no harm done.

What I'm interested in is whether they'll take this opportunity to axe overclocking on locked cpus... :rolleyes:

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Well, shit happens.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Why is prime95 even used anymore, its stupid

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Glorious AMD master race.  /s

So glad I went with a 4790k over Skylake.  I like multitasking, but hopefully they fix this issue.

this has nothing to do with multitasking

skylake CPUs can multitask perfectly fine

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Why is prime95 even used anymore, its stupid

prime 95 is just an example, there may be legitimate reasons to put a cpu under that kind of load.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Intel confirms an architecture flaw in the Skylake CPU design currently sold on the market which makes the system crash under certain computationally-intensive operations.

This is not the first time that Intel shipped a product that has discovered a flaw in its design after the product was produced. It happened back with the early Pentium days, where due to FDIV issue, the CPU would at time return a wrong float point number, costing the company, at the time, $475 million U.S for the recall.

However, for the Skylake issue, Intel won't be issuing a recall. Intel says:

Intel says that they have found a fix, hence the lack of need to do a recall, and will be working with OEM manufacture to apply the fix in their BIOS.

Intel is not mentioning what the fix is. We don't know if it will throttle the CPU in some way, or if they play with the voltage (can 'cause issues for overclockers), or some other workaround that can potentially affect users in some ways.

There is also no word if Intel will fix the issue in future manufacture revisions of the chip, or remain with the issue, as a fix exists.

Source: http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2016/01/11/intel-skylake-crash-erratum/1

Did you experience stability issues under load with your Skylake CPU?

Hmm well prime 95 is something you shouldn't be using on intel cpus anyways. And no I havn't had any issues besides needing my bios updated due to BSODs.

Wouldn't that put it under heavy load faster?  

it's not just any heavy load, it needs to be doing some specific type of operations. And normal (even intensive) multitasking won't stress your cpu much to be honest.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Well, if it's something a bios update can fix I guess no harm done.

What I'm interested in is whether they'll take this opportunity to axe overclocking on locked cpus... :rolleyes:

Well we don't know the side affects of the CPU. What if performance is reduced? What if you can no longer overclock your CPU as it used to be able to?

prime 95 is just an example, there may be legitimate reasons to put a cpu under that kind of load.

NOTHING puts a CPU under the kind of load that prime95 does

that's what stupid about it

That's like crashing a car into a wall and hoping it wont get scratched

Spoiler

Heavy Load..

Loadgate?

no

pls no

nogate

Wouldn't that put it under heavy load faster?  

This isnt about all heavy loads

This is specifically about a complex type of unnatural load such as the one Pime95 does, which nothing else in the world is similar to

Spoiler

Well we don't know the side affects of the CPU. What if performance is reduced? What if you can no longer overclock your CPU as it used to be able to?

There may be the basics for a false advertisement lawsuit in that case, but good luck seeing it through in a reasonable time :P

NOTHING puts a CPU under the kind of load that prime95 does

that's what stupid about it

That's like crashing a car into a wall and hoping it wont get scratched

maybe medical applications?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Not the first time Intel has derped. In Haswell and Broadwell, they had to deactivate features: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/197257-bug-found-in-haswellbroadwell-cpus-microcode-update-to-disable-feature/

And this on an overpriced CPU? I cannot wait for Zen to come. We need competition, not just for pricing, but also for products to actually work.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

maybe medical applications?

mining, folding, computing, none of those are even close to prime95

there something about the way that prime 95 stresses the CPU to purposefully make it work past the limit, which regular programs cannot do

i dont know exactly what it is since the last time i read about it was a page long explanation, but essentially no regular program will ever do the same to your CPU as prime95 will

And medical applications probably use xeons anyway, which only get upgraded like once every decade :P

Spoiler

first the bendgate now a load gate... GJ intel.. going full retard...

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

Still no issues at 4.8GHz and 5.2GHz.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

ARE YOU MOTHERFUDGING KIDDING ME, i've had this issue with my 6600k since august and only know they acknowledge it fortunately mine was fixed with a new motherboard, but for fudge sake they could have said months back when people could have returned their CPUs without needing a warranty replacement, intel should reimburse people who've spent months trying to figure out why skylake systems crash, like i'm super pissed that it's taken this long for intel to take their fingers out of their arses. 

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

Then you probably aren't using Prime95 or whatever causes this as well.

I don't use P95. It's unsafe on any architecture. 

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

"This is not the first time it happens". And then bring up some ancient fucking story from the pentium Era. 

And i'm guessing it's with the AVX2 prime95. 

And I vote for a tempban on anyone in this topic coining some ####-gate. It's not even remotely funny anymore, meme-o-philliacs.

Prime95 is an example of a program that will cause the issue.

If you do simulation, or any sort of demanding calculation, or you run a game 4-5 years on your computer and your CPU struggled with the game demand (and falls under the certain conditions that causes the issues), then that is not very fun.