AMD have begun shipping Polaris GPUs - 2 different Polaris chips and 4 different GPUs spotted

Mr_Troll

as I said in the other thread, hold your horses; if these are indeed Polaris based video cards they're only pre-production samples

looking at Fury X history: https://www.zauba.com/importanalysis-printed+circuit+board+assembly+c880-report.html

SnSqyNN.png

1st units were spotted in Nov 2014 -> paper launch in June 2015 -> retail in July 2015

so, AMD is still 1/2 a year away from retail, again .. if these are Polaris based video cards

Just a classic fan boy is all.

At least he asks for proof, but still.

Classic fanboy. Says the guy with a Radeon card avatar. lmao what a hoot.

And I'm still waiting on proof. Not a bunch of conjecture and hypotheticals. Just pure, solid proof.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

To stop this fan boy nonsense. Just wait until they will announce more details and we can see some benchmarks

Specs: CPU: I5 6600K (4.5 GHZ), GPU: RX 480 (stock), Mobo: MSI Z170A tomahawk AC, RAM: Corsair 16GB drr4 2600, CASE: NZXT S340, storage 240GB crusial SSD and a 1TB WD HHD

These are probably laptop and OEM parts. I honestly don't see any of the juicy stuff coming out before Q3/4.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

AMD had the Crimson drivers mess with fan speeds and gpu's were overheating. That's not good either.  That was recent.

AFAIK they fixed that quickly.

But still yeah it was a problem, but people still bang the "AMD HAS BAD DRIVERS" train as @don_svetlio said.

It was a bad instance yes, but rather isolated among a myriad of good releases. In my experience Nvidia just has bad drivers.

I make bad life decisions.

Classic fanboy. Says the guy with a Radeon card avatar. lmao what a hoot.

And I'm still waiting on proof. Not a bunch of conjecture and hypotheticals. Just pure, solid proof.

Yes I'm a fanboy, but I am willing to admit defeat if Nvidia makes a better card, if you read (at all) my post about the Fury X vs. 980 Ti.

Here's your proof:

This is an example of the raw hardware performance I was talking about, clearly AMD cards pass Nvidia:

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-radeon-fury-x-beats-titan-x-in-opencl.html

This is the resolution scaling performance of the Fury X vs. the 980 Ti. Clearly the Fury X handles 4K much better than a 980 Ti. Also keep in mind this was released in June, the Fury X is now about 10% faster which I will also link:

http://www.techpowerup.com/213615/radeon-r9-fury-x-faster-than-geforce-gtx-980-ti-at-4k-amd.html

This is the performance increase AMD cards have been getting. Not only the Fury X but also most AMD cards, this shows the hardware performance has been inefficient due to software until recently, and there is still performance to unlock because if you look at the OpenCL performance, the drivers still aren't 100%:

http://wccftech.com/amd-r9-fury-x-performance-ahead-nvidia-980-ti-latest-drivers/

And here is more proof from Reddit, along with other AMD chips being pulled into the mix. You can see we have been getting performance improvements (a notable one is the 380, which is now around 20%-25% faster than a 960 while generally being cheaper) :

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/3r2m51/fury_x_are_now_as_fast_as_gtx_980ti_in_1080p1440p/

I can post more if you'd like, hopefully you get the point. Nvidia makes good cards, don't get me wrong, but AMD is improving and Polaris should be very nice. Please don't hate me for that.

AFAIK they fixed that quickly.

But still yeah it was a problem, but people still bang the "AMD HAS BAD DRIVERS" train as @don_svetlio said.

It was a bad instance yes, but rather isolated among a myriad of good releases. In my experience Nvidia just has bad drivers.

IT was reported on Thanks Giving. Fixed the day after

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Question is, will polaris be a flagship gpu or not?

Polaris isn't a GPU, it's the architecture or the family.

These are probably laptop and OEM parts. I honestly don't see any of the juicy stuff coming out before Q3/4.

I suspect they will launch a budget card this summer, like a 2016 GTX 750 ti, then add the rest a little later.

Agreed but what i was saying was will they release a flagship with this architecture?

Or will it be limited to low end initially. Kinda like how maxwell used the 750ti for its debut before the 900 series was released.

neither

GCN is the architecture, Arctic Islands is the family of Polaris GPUs in that GCN revision

take Fiji as example

family: Volcanic Islands

architecture: GCN 1.2

codenames: Fij PRO (Fury) and Fiji XT (Fury Nano, Fury X)

knowing that, for Arctic Islands it will be

family: Arctic Islands

architecture: GCN 1.3 or GCN 2.0 (unknown)

codenames: Polaris PRO and Polaris XT (unknown)

neither

GCN is the architecture, Arctic Islands is the family of Polaris GPUs in that GCN revision

Polaris is the code name for GCN 4.0.

neither

take Fiji as example

family: Volcanic Islands

architecture: GCN 1.2

codenames: Fij PRO (Fury) and Fiji XT (Fury Nano, Fury X)

knowing that, for Arctic Islands it will be

architecture: GCN 1.3 or GCN 2.0 (unknown)

codenames: Polaris PRO and Polaris XT (unknown)

Almost:

architecture: GCN revision 4 (Codename Polaris)

codenames: Greenland Pro / Greenland XT

Polaris is the code-name for the architecture. Arctic Islands is the GPU family (i.e. the group of chipsets built on the Polaris architecture). Greenland, Baffin Island etc are the chipset names. R9 490, R9 490X are the individual graphics cards which are built using the [island name] chipset in the Arctic Islands family of GPUs.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Polaris is the code name for GCN 4.0.

+ @Fetzie

there's no such thing as GCN 4.0, you might want to mean revision 4 of GCN1

look here as an example: http://anandtech.com/show/9784/the-amd-radeon-r9-380x-review

Last week AMD launched the Radeon R9 380X, the company’s latest mid-range video card. Based on a fully enabled GCN 1.2 Tonga GPU

---

GCN 1.0 - Southern Islands

GCN 1.1 - Sea Islands

GCN 1.2 - Volcanic Islands

GCN 1.3/2.0 - Arctic Islands

I suspect they will launch a budget card this summer, like a 2016 GTX 750 ti, then add the rest a little later.

Yup. I'm more interested in the mid to high range stuff. The enthusiast and low end don't excite me as much.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

+ @Fetzie

there's no such thing as GCN 4.0, you might want to mean revision 4 of GCN

look here as an example: http://anandtech.com/show/9784/the-amd-radeon-r9-380x-review

Yes, I wrote "GCN revision 4".

AMD talks about GCN 4.0

Tech writers talk about GCN 1.0-1.4

I'm going to just say its the 4th revision of GCN. "1.4" isn't, however, what you'll read in an AMD press release.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

What res are you playing at? 390x and anything higher have diminishing returns at 1080p and only stetch their legs at 1440p.

1440p. "resolution of 2015 for PC gamers"

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

AMD calls it GCN 4th Gen. Same thing. You're the one that doesn't have the facts straight, talking about "GCN 1.2" and so on.

yes, i have my facts quite straight

the fact that AMD never moved from major version of GCN1; and it's quite possible the 4th revision is actually GCN1 too - GCN 1.3

AnandTech and other major outlets reporting on AMD Radeon lineup didn't pull the GCN nomenclature our of their collective arses

cDUm4uX.png

http://anandtech.com/show/7457/the-radeon-r9-290x-review

GCN 1.0 - Southern Islands

GCN 1.1 - Sea Islands

GCN 1.2 - Volcanic Islands

GCN 1.3/2.0 - Arctic Islands

Wrong. Those are GCN 1, 2, 3, and 4. And you still haven't admitted you were wrong about Polaris being a GPU. It's the codename for the 4th version of GCN - call it 4.0 or 4th gen or whatever.

Instead of your outdated Anandtech link, how about this one with up to date info.

Yes I'm a fanboy, but I am willing to admit defeat if Nvidia makes a better card, if you read (at all) my post about the Fury X vs. 980 Ti.

Here's your proof:

This is an example of the raw hardware performance I was talking about, clearly AMD cards pass Nvidia:

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-radeon-fury-x-beats-titan-x-in-opencl.html

This is the resolution scaling performance of the Fury X vs. the 980 Ti. Clearly the Fury X handles 4K much better than a 980 Ti. Also keep in mind this was released in June, the Fury X is now about 10% faster which I will also link:

http://www.techpowerup.com/213615/radeon-r9-fury-x-faster-than-geforce-gtx-980-ti-at-4k-amd.html

This is the performance increase AMD cards have been getting. Not only the Fury X but also most AMD cards, this shows the hardware performance has been inefficient due to software until recently, and there is still performance to unlock because if you look at the OpenCL performance, the drivers still aren't 100%:

http://wccftech.com/amd-r9-fury-x-performance-ahead-nvidia-980-ti-latest-drivers/

And here is more proof from Reddit, along with other AMD chips being pulled into the mix. You can see we have been getting performance improvements (a notable one is the 380, which is now around 20%-25% faster than a 960 while generally being cheaper) :

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/3r2m51/fury_x_are_now_as_fast_as_gtx_980ti_in_1080p1440p/

I can post more if you'd like, hopefully you get the point. Nvidia makes good cards, don't get me wrong, but AMD is improving and Polaris should be very nice. Please don't hate me for that.

Everybody knows AMD has better compute. That had nothing to do with gaming.

The second link benchmarks were provided by AMD. They have been debunked. Never take a company's benchmarks seriously.

WCCF. lol

Reddit posters point out comparing a Fury X to a throttling 980 Ti at 4K. Go down a bit and people point that out in the comments. Put a little overclock on the Ti and it leaves the Fury behind. The Fury X is simply not a competitor at 1440, much less 1080.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

yes, i have my facts quite straight

Right, that's why you said Polaris was a GPU when tons of official AMD slides say it's an architecture.

I wouldn't accuse Nvidia of gimping kepler per se. It's just that the highest end Kepler cards just can't compete in AAA titles anymore. In newer games they're far behind Maxwell, Hawaii, and the new AMD stuff. That's why people don't bench them anymore even though they're the same age as the 290x. 

Instead of your outdated Anandtech link, how about this one with up to date info.

outdated!?!?

the link you posted is nothing more than AMD PR, and it refers to Polaris as 4th gen

---

the fact that AMD's PR confuses (intentionally or not) generation with revision, should scare the shit out of AMD's fanboys

You're right. I've seen many performance vids from Digital Foundry at 1440p where the Fury X struggles to get marginally higher performance than even the 390x. It makes sense because the DX11 API can't take advantage of what the fury X has to offer so it ends up being a cripple and not an advantage.