AMD - AM4 Socket is confirmed for upcoming Zen CPUs and APUs - CES 2016

kameshss

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor  ($138.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard  ($74.98 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $280.74
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-09 14:32 EST-0500

CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($183.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($55.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $292.76
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-09 14:33 EST-0500
You were saying? Yeah, AMD such good value. lol.

And who isn't going to shop around? OutletPC is not a bad source but they're kinda like Directron, they don't operate to compete head-to-head on price. If PCPartPicker won't aggregate from MicroCenter or Fry's your missing out on major loss-leader deals. Just in these few minutes I've found massive discounts for those same parts.

Using some level-headedness, Depending on which way you wanted to go, I'd lean towards MicroCenter, and grab the 40 dollar discount on motherboard, for select AMD chips, 20 for select Intel offerings, if we're going to be shopping around for deals I would also being going with 16GB of DDR3 for 65 bucks rather than sitting at 8. Why are you only getting a cooler with the AMD part? MicroCenter doesn't carry the 6400, so far as i can see, but they do carry the 6500 for 20 bucks more, which aligns nicely with the 20 dollar discount on mobo.

There are plenty of motherboards with price parity you could have chosen, but that does not illustrate the point you are trying to make, does it? Add the same cooler to the Intel build, and choose similarly priced motherboards... and the disparity grows. 

We can make a dozen builds off of different cpu/mobo combos, and if you are building for parity you will get it, if you are building for deals AMD is going to get cheaper and cheaper while Intel struggles to make the same leaps. If AMD were competitive enough on performance that Intel felt the NEED to compete directly on price I'm sure they'd price aggressively too. It's no slight on them they don't have a need to.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($55.99 @ Amazon) 

This also doesn't totally become more annoying if you have to repeat it for 5 years. Nope, not at all.

Wow, what a comparison!

That will truly show that AMD cant possible be cheaper/have better value!

Intel also has iGPU's. APU gaming is moot anyway, even if AMD's APU's are faster than the Skylake lineup, it's still pretty abysmal.

And no, then the motherboard wouldn't have proper VRM's. This is the cheapeast 8+2 VRM board.

Yes, they do. But any value/performance on Intels "APU" goes right out the window when compared to AMD APU.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

I might have gotten a false positive on my sarcasm detector, can you assist?

Nah, you should trust your sarcasm detector.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

Then care to point to the flaws of the comparison? Or is snark your only tool in the toolbox.

A few:

Pricepoint (is your comparison good for more price ranges)

AMD with CPU cooler. Intel without

More expensive motherboard

DDR3/4 (That point goes to Intel)

That is just the very obvious.

A few:

More value on the Intel side as you get an actual decent performing CPU, and -okay- graphical performance at around 720p medium.

A few:

I'm not going to make several lists, but i know from experience it's the same for i3 vs. fx-6300 etc.

As for the cooler; watch?v=soc5x_4IACQ everyone knows how abysmal AMD's stockfans are right now.

Not overly expensive, it's AMD's hidden costs. That's the cheapest 8+2 VRM motherboard. WHich you want to not run the risk of throttling.

Well yes, AMD FX doesn't accept DDR4.

Intel also has iGPU's. APU gaming is moot anyway, even if AMD's APU's are faster than the Skylake lineup, it's still pretty abysmal.

And no, then the motherboard wouldn't have proper VRM's. This is the cheapeast 8+2 VRM board.

That's another subjective allowance you are giving yourself while discounting for the original comment. 8+2 is not a prerequisite for our debate here, and no one made any mention of OC.

Yes boards like the MSI G43/G46 are tenuous at best (garbage to most enthusiasts), but for budget 6300 builds they are still bought in droves. 

As for APU's you are allowing YOUR subjectivity to trump the premise of the debate. If someone is happy running games at medium on their TV from an ITX box there's no conflict unless you are pushing them beyond what they wanted.

That's another subjective allowance you are giving yourself while discounting for the original comment. 8+2 is not a prerequisite for our debate here, and no one made any mention of OC.

Yes boards like the MSI G43/G46 are tenuous at best (garbage to most enthusiasts), but for budget 6300 builds they are still bought in droves. 

As for APU's you are allowing YOUR subjectivity to trump the premise of the debate. If someone is happy running games at medium on their TV from an ITX box there's no conflict unless you are pushing them beyond what they wanted.

I think you don't know what subjective means. As you are the one making the subjective argument. Mine has been purely objective, factual and free of personal experiences. Except for maybe the cooler.

I'm not going to make several lists, but i know from experience it's the same for i3 vs. fx-6300 etc.

As for the cooler; watch?v=soc5x_4IACQ everyone knows how abysmal AMD's stockfans are right now.

Not overly expensive, it's AMD's hidden costs. That's the cheapest 8+2 VRM motherboard. WHich you want to not run the risk of throttling.

And for budget gaming its a non-entity. An APU is a perfectly allowable foundation. You can still get Intel SKU's that use DDR3, and would probably put a bigger pinch on the price point, YOUR subjective valuations are not what are at issue here. No one else has to caveat 8+2 power phase. And no one else has to focus on FX or 8 core.

You are still focusing on building to spec rather than budget.

As for your earlier comment on my US centric argument, you can shop around ANYWHERE, and most other markets have less wiggle room on intel parts than we do, and lot MORE on AMD. Government sanction or regulation not withstanding. 

I think you don't know what subjective means. As you are the one making the subjective argument. Mine has been purely objective, factual and free of personal experiences. Except for maybe the cooler.

Or the 8+2, or the discount for APU. You poo-poo someone else's subjective wants and values by substituting your own and claiming superiority. That's not how it works.

Or the 8+2, or the discount for APU. You poo-poo someone else's subjective wants and values by substituting your own and claiming superiority. That's not how it works.

Who is talking 8+2 for APU's. I specifically made a 8320 build earlier. Too difficult to stay on subject for 3-4 consecutive posts? 

And no, Netherlands does not have a microcentre equivalent. Nothing like the US has. You have different shops, but they mostly have the same prices, no mail-in rebates or packagedeals. Alternate has upgrade sets, but they're just as expensive as choosing them yourself.

8+2 isn't subjective. It's objectively to prevent throttling. That's objective. Again, you seem to not understand the difference.

really hope it is not

Why not. I hate the pins on the cpu, they make hard to install for new people, on am3+ often the cooler pulls the cpu out, and it does not look as secure, or as safe. 

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

Why not. I hate the pins on the cpu, they make hard to install for new people, on am3+ often the cooler pulls the cpu out, and it does not look as secure, or as safe. 

Because the pins on a motherboard are nearly impossible to fix but the ones on the cpu are quite large and sturdy making them easy to fix if bent

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

To those complaining about AMD's cooler mounting system-its a damn sight better than having to get a new cooler for every bloody socket, and it means that you can use the same good cooler over and over again for years with each successive upgrade. I'd love to be able to use my Cooler Master Eclipse past LGA775. But can I do that? No. Whilst I could use it on all bar the oldest AMD sockets (thinking of installing it inside my Aunt's AM3 Phenom II desktop-its got the same stock cooler that's still in use on the FX6350, though it actually runs surprising quiet).

Yeah but we have coolers that mount on the LGA 115x platforms and on LGA 775 with included mounting hardware. I think the problem is that Cooler Master just never felt the need to bring updated mounting hardware to availability.

This also doesn't totally become more annoying if you have to repeat it for 5 years. Nope, not at all.

Just an FYI, its the same in Queensland (Australia for those without a map).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

really hope it is not

Why not?

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Why not?

Because the pins on a motherboard are nearly impossible to fix but the ones on the cpu are quite large and sturdy making them easy to fix if bent

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I'm going to call my doubts. Because I also know from experience, the exact opposite.

Not even to go into using APUs..

I dont care, if everyone thinks they are terrible. Because guess what? Everything thinks the same about Intel stock coolers.

Why would you think you need to overclock or some sort? There are no 'hidden' cost, only the one you decide to pull with it.

You could most definitely go cheaper with the Mobo.

I dont care, if everyone thinks they are terrible. Because guess what? Everything thinks the same about Intel stock coolers.

Why would you think you need to overclock or some sort? There are no 'hidden' cost, only the one you decide to pull with it.

You could most definitely go cheaper with the Mobo.

More subjective reasoning. "yeah i don't care about facts, i'll just deny them and substitute my own". Pesky facts.

Hidden costs like having throttling on 4+1 boards. Like having to add a aftermarket cooler because AMD's stockfan is a turbine (no it's not comparable to Intel's, that's utterly disingenuous). No you don't want to buy a cheaper mobo. Plenty of topics to be found on this forum with throttling 8350's on cheap boards.

Like having to buy a new platform if you want to upgrade because 8350 + AM3+ is the highest tier. 

Who is talking 8+2 for APU's. I specifically made a 8320 build earlier. Too difficult to stay on subject for 3-4 consecutive posts? 

And no, Netherlands does not have a microcentre equivalent. Nothing like the US has. You have different shops, but they mostly have the same prices, no mail-in rebates or packagedeals. Alternate has upgrade sets, but they're just as expensive as choosing them yourself.

8+2 isn't subjective. It's objectively to prevent throttling. That's objective. Again, you seem to not understand the difference.

8+2 is only needed for heavy OC.

4+1 AM3+ boards mostly work, aslong as the VRMs have heatsinks.

some 4+1 AM3+ boards will NOT work with FX8, but those are actually in the minorities... its basically all the MSI boards + a Gigabyte one, a ASUS one and a ECS one....

More subjective reasoning. "yeah i don't care about facts, i'll just deny them and substitute my own". Pesky facts.

Hidden costs like having throttling on 4+1 boards. Like having to add a aftermarket cooler because AMD's stockfan is a turbine (no it's not comparable to Intel's, that's utterly disingenuous). No you don't want to buy a cheaper mobo. Plenty of topics to be found on this forum with throttling 8350's on cheap boards.

Like having to buy a new platform if you want to upgrade because 8350 + AM3+ is the highest tier. 

I respond with subjective reasoning to a subjective argument. What do you really expect?

You provided zero facts.

You can get a decent 4+1 setup, without any throttling. No, you dont need a custom cooler. (yes, it is comparable to Intel stock cooler, they are both terrible, and should both be avoided if possible). Yes, you can. Plenty of users running with cheap mobos without any issues. Sure, if you don't know anything, and just buy a random board, you might end up with issues, but that is not what we are discussing.

My god people are so disingenuous its bordering religion. 

Yeah, a 6K rpm fan is just as loud as a 3K rpm fan. Which makes sense because a 200W CPU doesn't require more CFM than a 80W CPU.