Worth upgrading gaming rig from 16GB to 32GB RAM?

Gerr

I have a pretty powerful Windows 10 gaming rig...

i7-4790K @ 4.5Ghz w/Noctua D15

ASRock Z97 Extreme4

16GB(2x8GB) G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3-2133 CL9

500GB SSD (4x250GB Samsung 850 EVO's in Raid-10)

980Ti videocard

Now that Skylake is out and DDR4 is becoming mainstream, I see DDR3 getting cheaper and cheaper as DDR3 is faded out.  I know upgrading to 32GB won't speed up my games.  However, with DDR3 starting to die out and very cheap right now, might it still be a good idea to max out my memory on my system while I can still get matching the RAM to what I currently have to help future proof my system?  Heck, upgrading from 16GB to 32GB will only cost me about $105.  Thoughts?

it wouldnt help your system if it's just for gaming but it wont hurt it either so if you got money to blow why not? Money exists to be spent right? :D

You don't need to unless you are going to actually use it.  By the time 32 GB of RAM is normal/necessary, that system will be woefully under powered so I don't think it will help future proof anyhting

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I see DDR3 getting cheaper and cheaper as DDR3 is faded out. 

Do you...? It just became as cheap as it was pre-hynix factory fire 2013... DDR2 isn't all that cheap btw. Just because a new tech comes out doesn't mean the old one comes down in price. DDR3, like DDR2, will lower in price for a while, then when everyone stops making it, it will raise in price again for the 15 people who need it.

Also no, you don't really need 32gb of ram for just gaming.

Not worth it since you can easily still get away with having 8 Gigs, while it's not a "sweet spot" anymore, 16GB is more than enough.

Unless you literally have nothing else to upgrade and still have spare money, you can get it, but it's nowhere near being worth it ^^

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

If just purely gaming then no because i dont know of any game that uses anywhere close to 16 GB.  

CPU: i5 6600k OCed to 4.5Ghz @ 1.35v, GPU: R9 390 Nitro, Motherboard: Asus z170-A, CPU Cooler: H100i GTX, RAM: HyperX 2x8 16gb DDR4, PSU: Seasonic x650, Storage: 850 EVO 500gb, WD 1tb blue, Case: H440 White/Black

Unless you're using a DCC tool don't bother.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

Unless you're using a DCC tool don't bother.

True. I plan on getting 32GB of DDR4 RAM for that reason as well. I use 3ds Max and I am soon going to be getting into Photoshop. So having 32GB of RAM for gaming and DCC at the same time like video editing is nice to have if you're really serious with what you're making, but not entirely necessary unless you absolutely need it.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

Not really, only if you are wanting to do stuff aside from gaming.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

Its only 40-60 USD, so go for it.

Prices aren't likely to drop all that much more with as production slows down/ceases.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

i am planning on doing the same thing, geez ram is getting cheap. if you got spare money look into leds or extra fans on your system

I know it wont make a difference now, and currently, I only game on this PC, but who knows what I will use it for a few years from now.  Considering that the new Batman game recommends 12GB of RAM on Windows 10, how long before other games follow suit?  In 2-3 years(estimated) when 16GB is average and 32GB is best, will I still be able to find the matching RAM to what I have now?

Do I need it currently, no.

Is it a smart buy at the moment to help keep my PC relevant several years down the road while the memory is still cheap and available...unknown.

I know it wont make a difference now, and currently, I only game on this PC, but who knows what I will use it for a few years from now.  Considering that the new Batman game recommends 12GB of RAM on Windows 10, how long before other games follow suit?  In 2-3 years(estimated) when 16GB is average and 32GB is best, will I still be able to find the matching RAM to what I have now?

Is it a smart buy at the moment to help keep my PC relevant several years down the road while the memory is still cheap and available...unknown.

We're just now starting to get to the point where 16 can make a difference over 8, barely.  Now think back how long 8 GB has been the standard; I'm thinking since about 2011 or so.  with that pattern established, how long before 16 is not enough/32 is the norm?  I stand by the fact I bet you'll be upgrading that GPU once if not twice before that happens :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I was actually thinking of doing the same, i currently have 16gb@1600Mhz, I was thinking of getting 32gb@2400Mhz...

I game and do a video re-encoding currently. I am undecided if its worth it for me.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

We're just now starting to get to the point where 16 can make a difference over 8, barely.  Now think back how long 8 GB has been the standard; I'm thinking since about 2011 or so.  with that pattern established, how long before 16 is not enough/32 is the norm?  I stand by the fact I bet you'll be upgrading that GPU once if not twice before that happens :)

Ehh, while it varies person to person, all my laptops get stressed at 8 gb with just my multitasking (and my computers have like no background shit, but I cycle through windows/tabs/programs like a squirrel does nuts)

32 vs 16 is not going to be different for 99% of people out there sure, but you can always run ram caching on HDDs and SSDs (which I do currently, true instant program loading and hdd small read performance is much better.) with the additional 16GB.

But really, it's a fairly cheap upgrade that worst case can be thrown in another system for htpc or server/nas down the road.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

I'm not one to spend frivolously.  While I may need it in the future, it will also be cheaper in the future.  Plus, you don't know if you will be upgrading.  I planned to keep my GPU another year, but it's giving up the ghost now.  I lost the silicon lottery.  Meh.  I was hoping that I could wait to see what happens with Pascal, but I'll just get the 980 Ti and see what is up in 3 years (if I don't lose the lottery again).  If you see the DDR3 fading out (I completely disagree with that assessment, but this is about you, not me), there is no point in getting it.  It will be a waste since an upgrade for you will mean you HAVE to get DDR4.

True. I plan on getting 32GB of DDR4 RAM for that reason as well. I use 3ds Max and I am soon going to be getting into Photoshop. So having 32GB of RAM for gaming and DCC at the same time like video editing is nice to have is you're really serious with what you're making, but not entirely necessary unless you absolutely need it.

Yeah having a lot of RAM when you're doing such things is extremely helpful. It also speeds up workflows since the tools won't have to use a page file nearly as much which is exponentially slower. 

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

I see DDR3 getting cheaper and cheaper as DDR3 is faded out.

Nah, DDR3 will be getting more and more expensive as it gets harder to find, the same way say the GTX 780 went way up in price after the GTX 970 replaced it.

I can't imagine RAM usage is going to go up that drastically in the usable lifetime of your system. 16GB is already enormous overkill and most of these games have to be written to use 8GB of shared memory between the cpu and gpu on the consoles. I bought 16GB because RAM is dirt cheap right now and because 8GB is the norm now for gaming, so 16GB gives me tons of wiggle room in the future. Batman recommends 12 GB because it's an enormous piece of shit, it's the worst pc port I have ever seen.

Yeah having a lot of RAM when you're doing such things is extremely helpful. It also speeds up workflows since the tools won't have to use a page file nearly as much which is exponentially slower. 

Also if you don't have enough RAM as well you can lock up your system if you go over. I've done that once at school with one of the computers in 3ds Max. All but one has 16GB of RAM.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

Its not going to help at all for gaming, 16gB of ram is even overkill for gaming.