Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)

I currently have the CM quickfire pro red switches

but I feel that my keyboard is a little bit too high..

sounds like you may want to look into wrist rests then

Hi,

I currently have an Alienwar TactX Keyboard and am looking to buy a proper mechanical keyboard. I was wondering if I could have some help :D.

I live in the UK, so finding stuff is hard. I was gonna buy a wasdkeyboard but shipping was too expensive. I was looking at getting a keyboard for around £100 - £130 GBP, full size, LEDs optional, with the ability to change key caps. It would be great if someone could find me a keycap seller too :D. As for the switch, I haven't decided yet, but have ordered a sampler to test them out. I will probably get cherry MX blacks.

Thanks,

Daanish

Im also from the UK.

Just remember, you buy anything from WASD it has to be imported and that will mean they will pretty much at 20% onto the price for the import duty.

Have a looking at the Ducky Shine 3/4. I have the D3 and it is a lovely keyboard! It has got Green LED's and blue switches!

For around £130 you can get yourself a Filco Majestouch 2. These are really well built keyboards but IMO ducky is still better quality.

If you want to save some money, have a look at CM storm. Most of the variants come with LED's and they are about as well built as a Filco (Most come with a soft touch finish).

For custom keycaps, I would just save up a little and buy yourself some WASD. They cost about £40 is to be made and shipped and then a few more quid from the post office for the import duty.

Im also from the UK.

Just remember, you buy anything from WASD it has to be imported and that will mean they will pretty much at 20% onto the price for the import duty.

Have a looking at the Ducky Shine 3/4. I have the D3 and it is a lovely keyboard! It has got Green LED's and blue switches!

For around £130 you can get yourself a Filco Majestouch 2. These are really well built keyboards but IMO ducky is still better quality.

If you want to save some money, have a look at CM storm. Most of the variants come with LED's and they are about as well built as a Filco (Most come with a soft touch finish).

For custom keycaps, I would just save up a little and buy yourself some WASD. They cost about £40 is to be made and shipped and then a few more quid from the post office for the import duty.

Thanks for the info!

I was looking at the Filco and Ducky keyboards actually, good to see they are recommended.  :D.

So annoying that keycaps cost little, but so much to import!

Thanks for the info!

I was looking at the Filco and Ducky keyboards actually, good to see they are recommended.   :D.

So annoying that keycaps cost little, but so much to import!

Yeh, they are both very highly regarded keyboards! I own both of them and think that ducky is slightly better, feels a little less plasticy in construction.

Have a look hear for keycaps also: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=702&catid=2705&subid=2455

Overclockers sells a few different things for keyboards

Corsair K70 with MX Reds. In hindsight, I'd probably go with Browns.

Corsair K70 with MX Reds. In hindsight, I'd probably go with Browns.

I quite like browns, I might end up getting some harder springs for them or swap them out for clears. ( I am quite a heavy typer!)

Site note! My GON 60% PCB has been dispatched and should be here at the end of this week hopefully!

I quite like browns, I might end up getting some harder springs for them or swap them out for clears. ( I am quite a heavy typer!)

Site note! My GON 60% PCB has been dispatched and should be here at the end of this week hopefully!

how long ago did you order it?

I ordered it on the 6th of May...

which isn't really that bad but the fact that you could not really get a hold of him made me go somewhere else. Oddly enough I prefer being able to contact people I'm ordering from even though I would prefer to never have to contact them in the first place.

which isn't really that bad but the fact that you could not really get a hold of him made me go somewhere else. Oddly enough I prefer being able to contact people I'm ordering from even though I would prefer to never have to contact them in the first place.

Yeh, I can understand that. He has been pretty busy with this Massdrop sale apparently. He added me on Skype so I can call him any time he is online now. He has since been messaging people back too! I think that he was just overworked...

Yeh, I can understand that. He has been pretty busy with this Massdrop sale apparently. He added me on Skype so I can call him any time he is online now. He has since been messaging people back too! I think that he was just overworked...

I understand that but it seems like if he was doing something that was going to take most of his time for awhile he should have at least informed people of the delay which it didn't seem like he did

I understand that but it seems like if he was doing something that was going to take most of his time for awhile he should have at least informed people of the delay which it didn't seem like he did

Yeh, he has also had an issue with the Acrylic case manufacturer and they werent able to give any sort of lead time... I told him to tell people what was going on as there was a few people who were a bit confused. 

I think to get things sent out quickly, you have to do what I did and call him like 10 times a day until he picks up...

EDIT: God damn, those Koreans dont hang about... It has already landed in the UK! Now lets see how long the UK customs take...

Yeh, he has also had an issue with the Acrylic case manufacturer and they werent able to give any sort of lead time... I told him to tell people what was going on as there was a few people who were a bit confused. 

I think to get things sent out quickly, you have to do what I did and call him like 10 times a day until he picks up...

EDIT: God damn, those Koreans dont hang about... It has already landed in the UK! Now lets see how long the UK customs take...

I'm not the kind of person that is going to call 10 times a day hoping someone well talk to me about something I bought from them.

nice I hope you get it soon.

I'm not the kind of person that is going to call 10 times a day hoping someone well talk to me about something I bought from them.

nice I hope you get it soon.

Well I do think I caught time at a bad time. He was emailing me back and fourth just after I made the order and we talked to Skype about it. Then I guess he was gearing up for the Massdrop sale and it just made things a bit more difficult for him. 

However, I think he is getting back on top of things now.

I will give him some credit, he is a one man band (With a little help from his wife on packing the items). He is working pretty hard to meet his normal sales and the massdrop sales when he is being let down by the manufacturers.

Well I do think I caught time at a bad time. He was emailing me back and fourth just after I made the order and we talked to Skype about it. Then I guess he was gearing up for the Massdrop sale and it just made things a bit more difficult for him. 

However, I think he is getting back on top of things now.

I will give him some credit, he is a one man band (With a little help from his wife on packing the items). He is working pretty hard to meet his normal sales and the massdrop sales when he is being let down by the manufacturers.

ya I will probably order from him in the future if it sounds like he gets better because i do want to try his wireless kit and stuff but at the moment i just find it annoying that he stopped responding to people that ordered from him when im sure even a quick response or a notice on his site would have been more then enough for most people. And he really needs to fix his site. I don't know about you but the links to facebook and twitter at the bottom of his site not pointing to anything of his is kind of annoying and is something that normally will stop me from ordering from a site.

Yeh, they are both very highly regarded keyboards! I own both of them and think that ducky is slightly better, feels a little less plasticy in construction.

Have a look hear for keycaps also: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=702&catid=2705&subid=2455

Overclockers sells a few different things for keyboards

I think I've given up on buying a keyboard then replacing the keycaps, since it's so hard to find / expensive to get keycaps /  a keyboard.

I'll probably either buy a Ducky, Filco, or CM. Which do you think is best? I'll look into buying the one you suggest :D.

Kinda looking at a KB with a numpad, but no arrows keys etc. They are TK's I think?

ya I will probably order from him in the future if it sounds like he gets better because i do want to try his wireless kit and stuff but at the moment i just find it annoying that he stopped responding to people that ordered from him when im sure even a quick response or a notice on his site would have been more then enough for most people. And he really needs to fix his site. I don't know about you but the links to facebook and twitter at the bottom of his site not pointing to anything of his is kind of annoying and is something that normally will stop me from ordering from a site.

Yeh, I think he needs to at least sort out his ordering system a bit. He needs to be more proactive with his emails. If he got that sorted, I think his business would grow very fast as his products are great!

Yeh, his FB and twitter links go to the people who made his website. He does need to make a FB page and market himself better. If his business grows I think he should get a PR manager and purely focus on the relationship with manufacturers.

I think I've given up on buying a keyboard then replacing the keycaps, since it's so hard to find / expensive to get keycaps /  a keyboard.

I'll probably either buy a Ducky, Filco, or CM. Which do you think is best? I'll look into buying the one you suggest :D.

Kinda looking at a KB with a numpad, but no arrows keys etc. They are TK's I think?

Completely honestly, I would look at the Ducky. They are lovely keyboards. Not a lot of flex and come with LED's! But please do try them out before buying them! 

for TK boards, look at CM storm's range. They have a few TK boards but I don't think Filco or Ducky sell those. 

Yeh, I think he needs to at least sort out his ordering system a bit. He needs to be more proactive with his emails. If he got that sorted, I think his business would grow very fast as his products are great!

Yeh, his FB and twitter links go to the people who made his website. He does need to make a FB page and market himself better. If his business grows I think he should get a PR manager and purely focus on the relationship with manufacturers.

Completely honestly, I would look at the Ducky. They are lovely keyboards. Not a lot of flex and come with LED's! But please do try them out before buying them! 

for TK boards, look at CM storm's range. They have a few TK boards but I don't think Filco or Ducky sell those.

Agreed I really wanted to order stuff from him until i started hearing stuff from you and others. He makes good stuff but doesnt seem to be good at running it as a business.

I was tempted to suggest a phantom build but seeing as keycaps are too expensive I think that crosses that out lol

U4QmevA.jpg

I am probably going to end up buying a Ducky tbh. My friend has one and reccommends it.

Agreed I really wanted to order stuff from him until i started hearing stuff from you and others. He makes good stuff but doesnt seem to be good at running it as a business.

I was tempted to suggest a phantom build but seeing as keycaps are too expensive I think that crosses that out lol

I was a bit disappointed when things werent sent out straight away. He is a really nice guys, we ended up just chatting on Skype for a while after talking about my order...

Yeh, Keycaps for us Brits are really expensive! We have to pay like $20 for the cheapest postage and then another £12-25 for the import duty...

I am probably going to end up buying a Ducky tbh. My friend has one and reccommends it.

Well you wont be disappointed! Its a great keyboard!

Any idea which switch type you going to get?

I was a bit disappointed when things werent sent out straight away. He is a really nice guys, we ended up just chatting on Skype for a while after talking about my order...

Yeh, Keycaps for us Brits are really expensive! We have to pay like $20 for the cheapest postage and then another £12-25 for the import duty...

Well you wont be disappointed! Its a great keyboard!

Any idea which switch type you going to get?

Probably Cherry MX Black. I've ordered a switch tester for blue, black, red and brown. Should come over the weekend.

I've been having trouble sourcing a ducky shine :(. Any good places? Had a look at overclockers, and they had 1 in stock I think.

Probably Cherry MX Black. I've ordered a switch tester for blue, black, red and brown. Should come over the weekend.

I've been having trouble sourcing a ducky shine :(. Any good places? Had a look at overclockers, and they had 1 in stock I think.

Black switch Duckies are a pain to source but CCL sometimes has them...

http://www.cclonline.com/product/120264/DK9008S3-AUKALG/Keyboards/Ducky-DK-9008-Shine-3-Mechanical-Black-Cherry-MX-Switch-Full-Green-LED-Back-Light-RGB-SpaceBar/KBD0714/

http://www.cclonline.com/product/169130/DKSH1408SD-AUKALAABR1/Keyboards/Ducky-Shine-4-Mechanical-Keyboard-Dual-Blue-/-Red-LED-Black-Cherry-MX-Switch-UK-Layout/KBD0914/

:D. Thanks!

Doesn't say what switch it is though lol (Unless I'm missing it).

Is there a difference between the 3 and 4?

What? In the ones I sent? They are in the title.

The 4 is a newer version. I dont know of any actual changes though... 

What? In the ones I sent? They are in the title.

The 4 is a newer version. I dont know of any actual changes though... 

I think they changed the led combinations and modified the feet that angle the keyboard.

Who needs a computer when you have a toaster?