Lenovo OLED ultrabook, and a new convertible laptop/tablet with integrated projector/3D scanner/extended battery via modular system

GoodBytes

Lenovo announces new product that they'll show at the coming up CES show.

The first product is a ultrabook, called the the ThinkPad Yoga X1, which features a 14inch 2560x1440 OLED (yes) screen, by Samsung. It must be noted that the OLED is the highest model option, there is a 2560x1440 IPS panel, and 1920x1080 IPS panel options for cheaper (no information on price).

Carousel_678x452.png

OLED option will start shipping in April this year, but the laptop will be available before that, with a starting price of $1449 U.S. The system features a Skylake-U series CPU (up to a Core i7with vPro), keep in mind that all U series CPUs are dual core CPUs, up to 16GB of RAM, and 1TB PCIe NVMe SSD. It will feature 3x USB 3.0, mini-DisplayPort, HDMI, microSD card, and optional 4G LTE model. Starting weighs is: 1.27 kg (2.8 lbs)

Next up, we have the a new laptop/tablet convertible system with a built-in projector.

09_X1_Tablet_Productivity_Module_Black_T

The Modular ThinkPad X1 is the name of the system, powered by a Core M processor (up to Core m7 with vPro), Up to 16GB of RAN, and up to 1TB PCIe NVMe SSD. Aimed at businesses, the back panel is removable for easy servicing. The display is powered by an IPS 2160x1440 resolution panel, 3:2 aspect ratio. That is the same ratio and resolution as the Surface Pro 3. Starting price will be $899 U.S

Carousel_678x452.jpg

The system has an add-on/extension system where you can plug an: extended battery with the system for an up to 15h operation (includes OneLink+ port connector, and HDMI), or mini projector, or a 3D scanner.

The extra battery add-on will cost $149 U.S

The projector  add-on will cost $279 U.S (can project up to 60inch form 2 meters)

The 3D scanner will cost $149 U.S

The system has a pen digitizer built-in.

Sources:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9887/lenovo-launches-thinkpad-x1-yoga-at-ces-with-oled-display

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9888/lenovo-launches-the-modular-thinkpad-x1-tablet-at-ces

As cool as all of this is, I still wouldn't buy a Lenovo product again after their BIOS/spyware or whatever they had installed.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Hawt

An OLED panel on a laptop? Interesting, why not an IGZO panel?

As cool as all of this is, I still wouldn't buy a Lenovo product again after their BIOS/spyware or whatever they had installed.

Buy an older Thinkpad, I'd recommend a T420 or T430 as the newest one to get (T430 if you want Ivy Bridge and the better iGPU that comes with it, T420 if you want easier custom BIOS flashing and classic 7-row keyboard.)

have there been laptops in the past with true OLED panels? 

anyways i'm thinking Linus will take a look at it (and not try to break it)

Buy an older Thinkpad, I'd recommend a T420 or T430 as the newest one to get (T430 if you want Ivy Bridge and the better iGPU that comes with it, T420 if you want easier custom BIOS flashing and classic 7-row keyboard.)

I actually prefer Samsung laptops. I'll either get another one of those, or an Asus ultrabook for my next laptop.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I actually prefer Samsung laptops. I'll either get another one of those, or an Asus ultrabook for my next laptop.

I own a T420 as my personal laptop. It's pretty great if you ask me.

Also, afaik, the Thinkpad was largely excluded from Lenovo's... shenanigans.

It is the year of HDR, OLED, and die shrinks.  The future has arrived.

any tests on the burn in of the OLED panel?

would kinda suck if you use it as a regular screen for most of the day then go to game and have stuff all over the place...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

any tests on the burn in of the OLED panel?

would kinda suck if you use it as a regular screen for most of the day then go to game and have stuff all over the place...

OLED has a few set of problem, the main ones, which you can see from smartphones:

-> Image retention. This is where the image is retain as it was displayed too long without moving. It will take take for it to fade. This problem is visible with phones with on screen OS navigation buttons (powered by an OLED screen, of course)

-> Color blue dies first

-> Image burn in. The content was there for so long, that it burned on the display and always visible. Expect a problem from the Windows start button, if you use the system for a long time. This problem is usually not there for smartphone powered by an OLED screen with on screen OS buttons, as people only use their phones in short burst of moment. Not several hours straight, every day, like a desktop monitor would experience from a user. For example, you'll open the phone, check your messages/mail/search something quickly on the web, and close the screen.

Waiting for Dell alternatives. Cuz that thick ass bezel is killing me.

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

i would definitely buy an OLED "what ever" book

14 inches is a bit small buy hey its OLED !! :) cant wait

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Wow! Impressive!

I expected some change on X1 lineup.

This is a great one! :)

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

u can have IGZO OLED or LCD panels

http://www.oled-info.com/sharps-new-prototype-igzo-oleds-video

it doesnt say what they used in the thinkpad model though

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

IGZO isn't a panel type, it's a material that can be used instead of Silicon in the transistors which control the display panel. It can be used with any type of LCD, whether it's TN, VA, or IPS, or it can be used with OLED panels as well.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1449080/igzo-vs-ips-which-one-is-better-in-terms-of-display-quality

I use a T420 at school, and there are two things, in my mind, that prevents it from becoming the perfect work laptop:

- 45 minute battery life

- worst screen to ever be fitted to a laptop, ever. 

As far as I can tell from looking at the newer thinkpad models, they charge you a $80 premium just for 1080p TN panels, and have used the generational decreases in power consumption to lower thinness rather than improve battery life. For these reasons, I'd be willing to bet the OLED will come somewhere near a $250 premium over stock 1366x768 TN. 

Levono, please take a T420 chassis (yes, the entire whole inch thick chassis) and put a skylake + better IPS screen in it. Until then, the T420 looks great.

Oops, looks like I accidentally went on a rant. Sorry bout that.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

IGZO isn't a panel type, it's a material that can be used instead of Silicon in the transistors which control the display panel. It can be used with any type of LCD, whether it's TN, VA, or IPS, or it can be used with OLED panels as well.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1449080/igzo-vs-ips-which-one-is-better-in-terms-of-display-quality

Oh. Thanks for letting me know.

I use a T420 at school, and there are two things, in my mind, that prevents it from becoming the perfect work laptop:

- 45 minute battery life

As far as I can tell from looking at the newer thinkpad models, they charge you a $80 premium just for 1080p TN panels, and have used the generational decreases in power consumption to lower thinness rather than improve battery life. For these reasons, I'd be willing to bet the OLED will come somewhere near a $250 premium over stock 1366x768 TN. 

Levono, please take a T420 chassis (yes, the entire whole inch thick chassis) and put a skylake + better IPS screen in it. Until then, the T420 looks great.

My T420 gets upwards of 5 - 10 hours of battery life. Are you using a 3-cell or 6-cell battery? Because I have a 9-cell battery and I get amazing battery life out of my laptop.

- 45 minute battery life

I get 6 hours on my T420, though as with any laptop the battery will degrade in the long term with use. This problem isn't unique at all.

I'd agree the screen is terrible, it's really the only huge weakness in the T420 :( Otherwise it's the pinnacle of ThinkPads IMO, and I agree I wish they'd just refit that with modern internals instead of the nonsense they're pumping out these days. Though I'd contest the idea that there's actually been any new ThinkPads since the T420... I mean, you can make a laptop that says "ThinkPad" on the casing, but... :P

@Daring @Glenwing

It is a refurbished model, so I bet it's probably the age. 

I actually just looked at it, and it apparently originally had a "Windows Vista OEM for Singapore" license. The battery doesn't say how many cells, but it's 3.9 Ah, 44 WH. Also manufactured in 2009. Probably just time for a new battery.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

@Daring @Glenwing

It is a refurbished model, so I bet it's probably the age. 

I actually just looked at it, and it apparently originally had a "Windows Vista OEM for Singapore" license. The battery doesn't say how many cells, but it's 3.9 Ah, 44 WH. Also manufactured in 2009. Probably just time for a new battery.

Yeah, I'd say get a new battery.

I was surprised that there is no USB 3.1 ports or USB 3.1 Type-C ports on the new X1 Carbons...

Btw, for all the new Thinkpads Lenovo announced in CES 2016,u can see @ these 3 articles from NoteBookCheck.net

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-announces-ThinkPad-X1-Carbon-Yoga-and-Tablet.156911.0.html

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-announces-new-ThinkPads-13-X260-L460-and-L560.157180.0.html

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-anounces-new-ThinkPads-T460s-T460-T560-and-T460p.157178.0.html

I really hate the keyboard on the bottom flip back design for convertibles, I think the best design is the Acer R13, I got one and after the bloatware genocide I did, I installed Windows 10 and love it, flips like the Dell XPS 12 hinge but is actually very sturdy, solid feeling. Here is the only decent review I've found (not a fan of this reviewer though)

And the Amazon link for the top spec model: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O5W2C00?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

A bit disappointed to see X1 Carbon traditional laptop form factor go.