Moore's Law to End By 2020

4Strings

Interesting article. Ex-Intel chip architect says that Moore's Law will "end" by 2020.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2013/08/29/darpa-chief-and-intel-fellow-moores-law-is-ending-soon/

He says that once hardware slow or stops improving so rapidly, we'll have to start focusing on software improvements instead.

Thoughts?

ConsTR(4)uct:

• CPU
    Threadripper 1900X @ 4.0GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus PRIME X399-A
  • RAM
    32GB Crucial Ballistix Elite @ 3466MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming-X 11G
  • Case
    SilverStone Fortress FT02
  • Storage
    1TB Samsung 960 EVO + 500GB WD Blue SSD + 2x 4TB WD Red (RAID1) + 3TB HGST Deskstar NAS
  • PSU
    Corsair AX760i
  • Display(s)
    2x Acer Predator XB271HK
  • Cooling
    BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro TR4
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G710+
  • Mouse
    Logitech G502
  • Sound
    Propellerhead Balance + Bose Companion II + AKG K7XX
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro

Well, that's unfortunate... 

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

Moore's Law will have to end eventually, since things can only get so small. And transistors become harder to turn off when they get smaller. Eventually if they get small enough, quantum physics takes over - particularly quantum tunneling.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

It also means that consoles and PC gaming performance won't increase, so the advantages of PC gaming will be far less lucrative.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

Imagine, tech guys in 20 years. Hey your i7 8888990000k is rubbish, its only 0.2nm die size.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

This is most unfortunate... I mean it's not really giantly surprising since it seems like less and less big breakthroughs that increase performance a ton actually happen anymore.

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

I don't think it will matter that much, when you see from where we come we will probably have in 2020 so much cpu power a gamer won't need more because it can probably handle everything you want. I really think games have such a high detail that it won't take long when adding more detail won't increase the gaming experience.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

This is most unfortunate... I mean it's not really giantly surprising since it seems like less and less big breakthroughs that increase performance a ton actually happen anymore.

Yeah... The 4930k has slightly better performance than a 3930k...

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

At the end of Moore's lawI believe performance will be squeezed out of chips by having a number of highly specialized code run on a number of highly specialized cores.

Each type of these specialized cores can only process one type of data but it would do so at speeds orders of magnitude greater than a serial processor, just like GPUs are orders of magnitude faster than CPUs at processing video data, similarly other types of processors will be developed each with its own specialty.

It also means that consoles and PC gaming performance won't increase, so the advantages of PC gaming will be far less lucrative.

cloud computing. servers will do all the heavy lifting eventually.

i don't know how i live without Moore's law, its been the only way to predict when to upgrade my stuff. guess il just have to have the same tech forever :) 

CPU: i5 3570K @4.5GHz    GPU: R9 290   MOBO: ASUS p8z77-v  RAM: 8Gb corsair vengence   CASE: ARC MIDI  PSU: XFX pro 550W  HDD: 2tb segate baracuda

it will be interesting to see what happens. But that computers will get faster as time moves on is indisputable, waaaay too many nerds out there. We just may not be following moores law anymore

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

Imagine, tech guys in 20 years. Hey your i7 8888990000k is rubbish, its only 0.2nm die size.

That size is downright impossible.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

That size is downright impossible.

Maybe in Mars. Not here son

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I know this will end, but I do not want it to.

I remember when they said that 1000Mhz was going to the fastest a cpu could run....

One thing with barriers, they are designed to be broken...

Lian Li PC-V359WRX Micro-ATX Case | Intel 5960X Extreme 3.00GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X99M KILLER | Crucial 32 GB 2666 DDR4 | Thermaltake NiC C5 | EVGA Supernova 1200W P2 | 2x 240GB OCZ Radeon R7 | 2x 256 GB Samsung 840 Series Pro | 2 X 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 6x NF-F12’s | Place Holder GPU R9 290X |

Links Current 5960X Old FX9590

Maybe in Mars. Not here son

It's impossible no matter where you are unless you live in a different universe bound by different laws of physics.

but wouldn't i be right in saying that while they can't decrease the size (until graphene etc becomes possible) they can still add more cores etc, to make a larger, flatter die? thus making more room for cores and performance.

AMD 8350 // 8 GB Corsair Ram // PNY 780 Ti // Asus 1080p Monitor // Antec 120mm AIO // CM Quickfire TK w/ Custom Caps  // RAT 5 mouse // Audio Technica m50x // Behringer 4-line + Line6 8-line Audio Interfaces

but wouldn't i be right in saying that while they can't decrease the size (until graphene etc becomes possible) they can still add more cores etc, to make a larger, flatter die? thus making more room for cores and performance.

Yes, but it would mean more electricity being consumed.

I don't think Moore's Law is gonna end. Most likely it's getting halted for some time. We are approaching a state where you can't get smaller with silicon chips, but when technology advances and quantum computing becomes reality, Moore's Law will probably resume or even be surpassed.

Intel i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | Asus Maximus VI Extreme | 16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz | Asus GTX 780 SLI | Samsung 830 Pro 256GB + 6TB WD Red | Asus Xonar Phoebus | Corsair AX860i | Corsair 900D | Win 8 Pro 64-bit | 2 x Dell U2412M | Logitech G710+ | Logitech G602

It's impossible no matter where you are unless you live in a different universe bound by different laws of physics.

I have my own law its called: Fuck the police. Works very well apart from the actual police.

Listen if you care.

don't forget that once we see an end to process nodes, we can always just increase clock speeds. optimizing hardware is still an option, just because we can no longer make the transistors smaller doesn't mean we can't perfect hardware.

coupled with lowering power requirements and better cooling, we can increase performance just by increasing the clock speed too.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB