AMD Confirms Delay of R9 Fury X2/Gemini to 2016 for Better Alignment with VR Market

HKZeroFive

Well, Pascal is on 16nm and Maxwell is on 28nm. Just due to the fact there will be way more transistors plus the HBM2, yes, there is a good chance that Pascal will be nearly 200% faster (closer to 150%).

why does this affect gpus more than cpus

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Just because you have space doesn't mean it's necessary.

The "spend less on something that performs better" argument doesn't make any sense. Spend $1.2K on a 980ti SLI? Spend $700 on a 970 SLI? You can't spend less and get more raw power than a 295X2.

The Titan Z is also a Kepler GPU, Kepler is on it's way out. A 970 already beats a 780ti.

so you're arguing that the 970 is better than a 780ti, and 780ti SLI performs about the same as 290x SLI, which is the same as a 295x2

then you're saying you need 980ti SLI to beat the 295x2?

who taught you how to do math???

also the 295x2 is pretty much not available anywhere, even though you can buy them used for $1000

but most people dont enjoy having an induction heater in their room

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I'm sure he would.

But you don't have a point. It still edges out a $1500 more expensive GPU (at both of their launch MSRPs). At $649 it fucking slaughters a 980 Ti.

yes i gets its the most powerful single card

the point is it doesn't sell well

and why would it

it only appeals to a very small group of people

and the fury X2 will be the same

only the small group of people with SFF PCs who have $1500 to spend will actually buy one...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

so you're arguing that the 970 is better than a 780ti, and 780ti SLI performs about the same as 290x SLI, which is the same as a 295x2

then you're saying you need 980ti SLI to beat the 295x2?

who taught you how to do math???

also the 295x2 is pretty much not available anywhere, even though you can buy them used for $1000

but most people dont enjoy having an induction heater in their room

hahaahha induction heater

look at temps. It's water cooled. Linus did a video on it and why he likes it. It puts off a ton of heat out of the case, but so does a Titan X SLI (like JayzTwoCents Skunkworks.)

Yes, because a 780ti SLI is a 980ti SLI. Reading your post makes me feel dumber.

I used to be quite active here.

yes i gets its the most powerful single card

the point is it doesn't sell well

and why would it

it only appeals to a very small group of people

and the fury X2 will be the same

only the small group of people with SFF PCs who have $1500 to spend will actually buy one...

So the Titan Z is exempt from the "doesn't sell well because it's a dual GPU card" excuse, huh?

So the Titan Z is exempt from the "doesn't sell well because it's a dual GPU card" excuse, huh?

when did i say that

of course it doest sell well because there is stuff cheaper that has newer features, uses less power, runs cooler, and performs better

Spoiler

when did i say that

of course it doest sell well because there is stuff cheaper that has newer features, uses less power, runs cooler, and performs better

Dual-GPU cards typically don't sell well for a variety of reasons, the best of them being heat and the power reasons.

Granted, the 295x2 might be one of the coolest running dual-GPU cards, but eh

Dual-GPU cards typically don't sell well for a variety of reasons, the best of them being heat and the power reasons.

Granted, the 295x2 might be one of the coolest running dual-GPU cards, but eh

hahaahha induction heater

look at temps. It's water cooled. Linus did a video on it and why he likes it.

Yes, because a 780ti SLI is a 980ti SLI. Reading your post makes me feel dumber.

i hope you you realize that temps =/= heat...

temps has nothing to do with heat output

heat is measured in joules or watts, and it is the same whether your CPU is at -200C or at 5000C

it's still pumping out 600W+ of heat into the surrounding air, and liquid cooling just speeds up that process

liquid cooling does not magically make heat disappear

it just moves it to the air faster

Spoiler

heat is measured in joules or watts, and it is the same whether your CPU is at -200C or at 5000C

it's still pumping out 600W+ of heat into the surrounding air, and liquid cooling just speeds up that process

I know temperature doesn't equal heat. Temperature and heat have a link though. Say a laptop running at idle vs. at full load.

its just two fury Xs

reading the article, it's more like two Fury Nanos  :o

As a reminder, Gemini Fiji, code name of the graphics card to be called R9 Fury X2 is a dual GPU version of the Radeon R9 family Fury why we expect that it corresponds approximately to a double Radeon R9 Nano.

reading the article, it's more like two Fury Nanos  :o

yeah, so even worse than two fury Xs...

and definitely worse than the next pascal flagship which would be released half a year later

Spoiler

So.. Because it produces heat, there's no reason why you should own it?

You should tell that to JayzTwoCentz with his SLI Titan X build (skunkworks.) It's watercooled, and spits all the CPU and GPU heat straight into his room. Guess he shouldn't do that setup, because "people don't want all that heat in their room."

So.. Because it produces heat, there's no reason why you should own it?

You should tell that to JayzTwoCentz with his SLI Titan X build (skunkworks.) It's watercooled, and spits all the CPU and GPU heat straight into his room. Guess he shouldn't do that setup, because "people don't want all that heat in their room."

1) you need to learn to read without making assumptions

i never said people should not buy it because it produces heat...wtf...where did you get that shit from

2) if you read with your eyes instead of your feet, you will notice that I'm talking about REASONS why MOST PEOPLE buy other graphics cards

and yes, its a fact that the 295x2 is a niche product and does not sell very well

3) heat was ONE out of SEVERAL points i mentioned

not because it produces heat, but because it produces UNNECESSARY heat

4) titan X SLI performs better and produces less heat, and since j2c is not limited to one GPU he went with a better option

make sense?

5) why have twice as much heat than other options?

6) why am i even arguing with an AMD fanboy? of course someone like you won't understand why most people dont buy dual GPU cards, I'll just stop arguing with a brick wall now.

Spoiler

Pascal is not around the corner. More like Q4 2016.

The Fury X2 will still be a beast after Pascal. After all, Pascal isn't some kind of magic GPU architecture that will be 200% faster than Maxwell.

Pascal is Q2 2016. The HPC clients are already being sampled. Miami has KNL, AI, and Pascal samples already since we're looking at replacing our entire cluster.

<s>

And actually Pascal is 1000% the performance of Maxwell. CEO Jen Hsun Huang already said 10x performance gains.

</s>

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

-snip-

Yes, because a Titan X SLI uses 300W.

It's not unnecessary heat.. It's called "the GPU is turned on." It produces as much heat (less sometimes) than two R9 290's. Because that's what it is.

I still don't know what your argument is. Is it that the R9 295X2 is bad? Is it the Fury X2 is bad?

And we have no idea how powerful Pascal will be. Again, it's not gonna be a 200% boost in performance over Maxwell. So, if it's a normal amount of processing power increase (let's say from Kepler to Maxwell) then the R9 Fury X2 will still beat the Titan X of Pascal (unless it's a dual GPU card, which I highly doubt.) Just because we know it's on a 16nm architecture, doesn't mean it's magically gonna be insanely powerful (look at how CPU's scale.)

Yes, because a Titan X SLI uses 300W.

It's not unnecessary heat.. It's called "the GPU is turned on." It produces as much heat (less sometimes) than two R9 290's. Because that's what it is.

I still don't know what your argument is. Is it that the R9 295X2 is bad? Is it the Fury X2 is bad?

And we have no idea how powerful Pascal will be. Again, it's not gonna be a 200% boost in performance over Maxwell. So, if it's a normal amount of processing power increase (let's say from Kepler to Maxwell) then the R9 Fury X2 will still beat the Titan X of Pascal (unless it's a dual GPU card, which I highly doubt.) Just because we know it's on a 16nm architecture, doesn't mean it's magically gonna be insanely powerful (look at how CPU's scale.)

you've derailed this thread so far even YOU dont remember what the topic was

LOL

1) titan X = 250W TDP

290X = 290W

titan X SLI = less heat + more performance than 295x2

2) the ENTIRE POINT of this is that dual GPU cards sell very little because of their niche market, and delaying the fury X2 is hurting the sales because most people will be looking forward to the next AMD/nvidia GPU generation rather than "oh most powerful graphics card in the world for $1500 for the next year hurr durr"

so by waiting an extra 6 months for "better alignment with VR" they are going to be selling even fewer than they already would releasing it now

or maybe they're just using that an excuse instead of saying that its not ready yet

Spoiler

Maybe they didn't want to put out another product that could potentially affected by the CoolerMaster/Asetek thing.

Where was is stated Pascal would be q3-q4 2016? If nVidia has confirmed this somewhere I'd like to read it. TIA.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

-snip-

Dont cut yourself on that edge.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

exactly

so the fury X2 will already be outdated within half a year of release

Not really, look at the 295x2. Its old. More powerful and efficient single gpus have been released. But it is still relevant.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Pascal is Q2 2016. The HPC clients are already being sampled. Miami has KNL, AI, and Pascal samples already since we're looking at replacing our entire cluster.

<s>

And actually Pascal is 1000% the performance of Maxwell. CEO Jen Hsun Huang already said 10x performance gains.

</s>

What do they seem to be leaning towards in terms of the cluster replacement, if you can share?  I am sure the testing is still early, but I am very curious.

What is the percentage of people who actually use VR right now, it better be damn high or AMD is just being stupid right now.

why does this affect gpus more than cpus

Because for CPU's they add bigger iGPU's and make the chip smaller overall rather than increasing the CPU size. On most CPU's nowadays, the actual CPU takes up only a small portion of the die compared to iGPU, cache, and all the I/O. For GPU's however, the full die is for GPU.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

pascal and artic islands will come out in late Q2 or early Q3 ... august/september.... so they have a chance to sell some cards.... do you remember the 295x2? .... every one said its going to fail badly... and it still does well even now... performance on par if not faster than the titan X... so dont underestimate dual gpu cards...

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home