[Build Log] Wardrobe Malfunction - 6700k, GTX 770, Watercooled. Closet mounted..?!?

Sashi
Heya all!

I've been looking at ways to get a smaller and smaller PC Case while maintaining my rad setup... kinda impossible I know. I built in a Ncase M1 before but it was pretty cramped. 

I looked at the under desk PC build from yours truly.. Linus.. and that inspired me to do this. I searched around for similar builds and it looks like it has been done! So...!

I present you the "Wardrobe Malfunction". Side of closet mounted PC. Not mounted on the wall but mounted on the side of my closet! Some of these parts are carry over from my previous build as to save costs :)

Parts:

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k

Motherboard: Asus Z170-A

RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4-2133 < Might sell this for a loss and get DDR4-2400 or 3000

GPU: GTX 770

PSU: XFX 750W Pro Black Edition PSU

OS Drive:250GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SSD. 

Storage: 750GB WD Scorpio Black

Water Cooling Parts:

EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block

EK 770 GPU Block

Ncase M1 custom made reservoir

Alphacool & Dazmode radiators

EK Fittings

MCP50x Pump

Other: Scythe Gentle Typhoon Fans

Some pics to start off!

The MDF I will be using

t5QqWQe.jpg

Some goodies

Xgj0Aho.jpg

Pump & CPU Block

BOyIlJA.jpg

Marking some cuts to be made & beer :P

RZRz5OL.jpg

● Thermaltake Core P5 ● ASUS Z170-A ● Intel Core i7-6700k 
● EK Supremacy EVO ● 2x 8GB GSkill Ripjaws 
● EVGA GTX 770 ● Samsung 850 EVO 250GB ● XFX 750W Black Edition PSU

Whats MDF?

Medium Density Fiber board.

It's basically wood ground up to a pulp and then pressed into a board shape. HDF (high density fiber) is kind of similar but it's pressed together a lot more.

wait

so whats the difference between mounting it on the side of your closet and mounting it on a wall...?

its still a vertically mounted flat PC no?

or are you saying that youre going to put it on your closet door so that it swings ope and closed?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Whats MDF?

shitty wood

pc specs: 4 function calculator / 8 digit lcd display / colored numeric and function buttons

wait

so whats the difference between mounting it on the side of your closet and mounting it on a wall...?

its still a vertically mounted flat PC no?

or are you saying that youre going to put it on your closet door so that it swings ope and closed?

Im going to mount it on the side of my closet instead of the wall since I feel like it is easier for me to maintain it (IE: Taking it down and putting it back up).

It is also better as I currently rent the place and am not really allowed to punch holes in walls and the closet I own so I can do what I want with it 

Im going to mount it on the side of my closet instead of the wall since I feel like it is easier for me to maintain it (IE: Taking it down and putting it back up).

It is also better as I currently rent the place and am not really allowed to punch holes in walls and the closet I own so I can do what I want with it 

oh i see

i thought you meant like this kind of closet

closetbefore.jpg

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

oh i see

i thought you meant like this kind of closet

closetbefore.jpg

Mine is more like a standing closet/wardrobe..hence the build name I guess :)

Some little update pictures.

Still waiting on some stuff from Dazmode which should arrive soon..hopefully..

Mounted CPU waterblock..so shiny

604fb3ff44227e64d989b5dc8f82b87c.jpg

PCIE Riser cable came

76f9e928e57789f5a967686b7d572e5b.jpg

Some sad news .. :(

PCI-E riser cable DOA

Good news - Im getting a brand new one tomorrow.. very quick!

Some updates!

Vc3K7Gr.jpg

foyO5ul.jpg

3g5msI6.jpg

BkGUz8g.jpg

Happy new year!

My build is complete! Just in time for the new year!

Leak testing

jrtun8.jpg

Cleaned up tubing

r9im4m.jpg

Complete!

2a6mhl2.jpg

Happy new year!

My build is complete! Just in time for the new year!

-snip-

Happy new year to you too :).

Well I´m honestly a bit puzzled about your PC build here. While I like the idea that you took and hung it up and also took time and thoughts to make a nice modding. But it kinda looks misplaced on the side of that wardrobe, I mean it looks like it hangs there as if you were to dry a button down shirt. Wouldn´t it look at lot better it you´d hang it on a wall?

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Happy new year to you too :).

Well I´m honestly a bit puzzled about your PC build here. While I like the idea that you took and hung it up and also took time and thoughts to make a nice modding. But it kinda looks misplaced on the side of that wardrobe, I mean it looks like it hangs there as if you were to dry a button down shirt. Wouldn´t it look at lot better it you´d hang it on a wall?

It would look a bit better if I were to mount it on the wall but I am renting this place so if I were to start punching holes then that would be no good.

I could putty it up later but eh. thats another expense I guess when I move out later

It would look a bit better if I were to mount it on the wall but I am renting this place so if I were to start punching holes then that would be no good.

I could putty it up later but eh. thats another expense I guess when I move out later

Ah ok gotcha that makes sense then. Yeah rental places are not a best case scenario for modding walls by any meanings hehe.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling