Browsers Are Starting to Block Certain Ads by Default

CaptainGazzz

Here’s an intriguing new twist in the debate over adblockers: starting in early 2016, AdBlock Plus will be “baked-in” to electronics company Asus’ proprietary browser that ships with all of its products—that is, it will be activated by default.

Presently, some ads are allowed through AdBlock Plus’s filters, as part of its Acceptable Ads program that was offered as an olive branch to advertisers. (“Acceptable” ads are vetted to make sure they’re relatively unobtrusive and aren’t portals to malware.) Advertisers have also been accelerating the use of unconventional ways to advertise—via sponsored content or native advertising on a site. But this sort of maneuver is really only accessible to bigger brands with ample budgets.

The fact that Adblock will be integrated into Asus' proprietary mobile browser sounds great. It solves the biggest problem of ads, malware, without hurting the sites that rely on ad-revenue too much. If enough companies start doing this the amount of intrusive ads will surely decrease.

Source

'Make sure to wear a wool sweater and to stand on a carpet while working on PC's' -Linus 2015

What is Asus' browser exactly

Um, I guess their Android skin's default browser? No clue.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Hmm, sounds kinda cool.. But I hope not more browser start doing this. If for example Google Chrome starts doing this, Google might start blocking all ads that are not GoogleAds (extreme example), which may make them a monopoly in the advertisement business online. This is mostly a bad thing for companies who want to advertise, but might be a bad thing for us normies later too

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Aren't the "acceptable ads" only for certain domains/sites/google ads and not everything?

So wouldn't this hurt the smaller websites that weren't whitelisted even if they run perfectly acceptable ads?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Yay

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Hmm, sounds kinda cool.. But I hope not more browser start doing this. If for example Google Chrome starts doing this, Google might start blocking all ads that are not GoogleAds (extreme example), which may make them a monopoly in the advertisement business online. This is mostly a bad thing for companies who want to advertise, but might be a bad thing for us normies later too

If Google does it, it's gotta be only for malicious ads

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

If Google does it, it's gotta be only for malicious ads

That's just what the government wants you to think

i think this is a pretty good idea. i honestly don't think it'll ever work 100% tough. the people who make those malicious ads will always find a way to just bypass these kind of things.

Asus doesn't really decide what ads are allowed, its up to AdBlock to decide. So Asus can't really abuse its power.

'Make sure to wear a wool sweater and to stand on a carpet while working on PC's' -Linus 2015

Unfortunately, most people use Chrome instead of the default browser. In Anandtech's test, they showed that Chrome is super slow compared to the stock browser due to the lack of optimizations in chrome.

73770.png

As always, we'll start things off with our browser benchmarks. After getting to use the phone, it became clear to me that Chrome is poorly optimized against the Galaxy S6 as Samsung’s browser is clearly superior in performance. For that reason I've gone ahead and run our benchmarks on both Chrome and on the stock browser, as seen below.

Asus doesn't really decide what ads are allowed, its up to AdBlock to decide. So Asus can't really abuse its power.

Not really afraid of Asus tbh, because  they are not an ad server.

If only all ads didn't have audio at full blast I wouldn't mind ads, but when the damn ads are more loud than the video I'm about to watch, that's annoying.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

This is not a good direction to do.

Mobile web browsers should support extensions.

Not a custom web browser for every extension.

Also, ads pay for server cost, including this very forum, and sometimes, with bigger sites, pay people (for example: Ars Technica has reporters, which are paid, and make a living)

Also, ads pay for server cost, including this very forum, and sometimes, with bigger sites, pay people (for example: Ars Technica has reporters, which are paid, and make a living)

As good as the staff's intention are, their place of employment makes them automatically biased. I absolutely agree with the extensions thing though.

It'd be great if the acceptable ads were overseen by a comittee rather than just 1 group of developers. Like the with W3C and web standards. Where all parties with stakes in the game get together and have representation.

Think about this like email spam, I'm hoping adblock will develope into a spamassassin-like model.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

As good as the staff's intention are, their place of employment makes them automatically biased. I absolutely agree with the extensions thing though.

It'd be great if the acceptable ads were overseen by a comittee rather than just 1 group of developers. Like the with W3C and web standards. Where all parties with stakes in the game get together and have representation.

Think about this like email spam, I'm hoping adblock will develope into a spamassassin-like model.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

I kinda agree with your point, AdBlock could get in a position where they control what ads most people see, so they could abuse that position. Companies could pay them to allow their ads. And then we would be right were we started.

use firefox then

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Acceptable ads is a joke, there are no acceptable ads.

Ah...yes, tell me if every site you visits starts to ask for a subscription fee is acceptable then.

Maxthon has been shipping pre baked with default enabled adblock plus for a year now.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.