Low image quality on newer GPUs

Demiqas

Do you guys experience this in GTA 5?   Watch in 1080p.

I see no issues other than you thinking 4xMSAA can remove every jaggy in a single frame which is far from the truth.

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

This is me playing Crysis modded with some SMAA and 4xMSAA.

GTX 580 latest NV drivers.

Here is with MSAA off, no DOF.

Y0fchk.jpgEp4INx.jpg

DOF on + 4xMSAA

rD7XgI.jpgZA2jXp.jpgwYjRod.jpgwCPqVa.jpg

There is no such anaomalies people are arguing over, you see no jaggies because the SMAA implementation mixes well with 4xMSAA, and Crysis uses transparency AA and Edge AA in it's engine.

That is with FXAA and Nvidia TXAA too.  Compare it to this video with lesser settings (2xMSAA) which looks better.

That is with FXAA and Nvidia TXAA too.  Compare it to this video with lesser settings (2xMSAA) which looks better.

I still see no issues, you are expecting way too much from MSAA as an implementation.

I still see no issues, you are expecting way too much from MSAA as an implementation.

Chceck building in front of main character at 1:58 when the player moves the camera.

I see no issues other than you thinking 4xMSAA can remove every jaggy in a single frame which is far from the truth.

And what happens when 8x SGSSAA looks only a tad better than 2xmsaa, as is the case on my 750 ti?

MSAA solves transparency issues that is all its good for. So what it will do is make chain link fences look somewhat better, power lines to the sky and the edges of buildings. What it does not do is anti alias the scene in general so you don't get textures like this being anti aliased.

The paint on the ground flickering at an oblique angle looks more like anisotropic filtering not doing a very good job, it might not be on and I don't see it in the graphics settings shown. Maybe they don't provide access to it?! it can be forced from the drivers and that might be worth setting to 16x for that game and see if it helps.

FXAA in my experience causes a lot of aliasing shimmer while making the screen blurry, given the option of MSAA, FXAA and nothing else I go with MSAA on and FXAA off. FXAA when implemented poorly does more harm than good.

These are the two problems I see, an oblique texture issue on the white lines (not something MSAA can address and FXAA makes worse) but is a texture filtering issue (make sure you don't set image settings to low in the NCP just to get better performance it causes this sort of stuff) and the second thing I see is some post processing antialiasing issues on the shadows and again not something MSAA addresses only FXAA will deal with it and well frankly that does a bad job.

And what happens when 8x SGSSAA looks only a tad better than 2xmsaa, as is the case on my 750 ti?

Use a different method, as already mentioned different AA techniques combined together can rid of almost all jaggies, you are all trying to get something out of MSAA and a cheap method on top, it simply won't happen.

As i showed you with Crysis as a good example, the engine has Edge AA and transparency AA for foliage built in, so when enabling MSAA everything looks like it has AA applied and nice, not every game has this and it's a VERY expensive thing for performance.

Use a different method, as already mentioned different AA techniques combined together can rid of almost all jaggies, you are all trying to get something out of MSAA and a cheap method on top, it simply won't happen.

As i showed you with Crysis as a good example, the engine has Edge AA and transparency AA for foliage built in, so when enabling MSAA everything looks like it has AA applied and nice, not every game has this and it's a VERY expensive thing for performance.

Please don't take me for computer illiterate, if simply using a different combination or higher demanding AA would've solved this issue this thread would've not existed in the first place. For the sake of it I tested 8xsgssaa and 8xsupersampling in combination with 4k OGSSAA and then 4k DSR and none of it eliminated the issues I talked about in this thread. It has obviously nothing to do with type of AA that is being used, AA is simply not working as it should. Not to mention you're using a 500 series card. A lot of people in the nvidia thread started having this issue AFTER they upgraded their 500 series card to the 700 or 900 series.

Please don't take me for computer illiterate, if simply using a different combination or higher demanding AA would've solved this issue this thread would've not existed in the first place. For the sake of it I tested 8xsgssaa and 8xsupersampling in combination with 4k OGSSAA and then 4k DSR and none of it eliminated the issues I talked about in this thread. It has obviously nothing to do with type of AA that is being used, AA is simply not working as it should.

Perhaps go out and get some sunshine then because what you are asking for is not possible.

Also some games won't see a single difference when forcing that kind of AA, let alone you thinking you can 4k DSR with 8xSSAA in a game with a 750Ti, kind of proves me correct.

Yeah I have the same and two friends also.I think its game engine fault.The thing that bothers me is that with even x16 anisotropic I have the issue with road lines like  your video.

Perhaps go out and get some sunshine then because what you are asking for is not possible.

Also some games won't see a single difference when forcing that kind of AA, let alone you thinking you can 4k DSR with 8xSSAA in a game with a 750Ti, kind of proves me correct.

how is this not possible? I never implied I ever got more than 10 fps in the games I tested it on. And it looked like absolute garbage. 

Also note that I never implied that I wanted my games to look perfect. I know jaggies will always be there and I can live with it. This problem, as Ive tried to describe about 6 million times in this thread so far, goes way, way beyond the standard ugliness of jaggies. I also know that pop-ins will always be there, the problem is when the pop-ins happen almost absolutely right in front of you. Not to mention I've had various results regarding this using different drivers, which means it's not an engine issue. In my experience, drivers 335.23 and below (probably some on top aswell but I havent tested those directly) seem to handle draw distance worse than the newest series drivers do (tested 36x.xx). Though no improvement on the jaggies and lod bias issue alas.

how is this not possible? I never implied I ever got more than 10 fps in the games I tested it on. And it looked like absolute garbage. 

Also note that I never implied that I wanted my games to look perfect. I know jaggies will always be there and I can live with it. This problem, as Ive tried to describe about 6 million times in this thread so far, goes way, way beyond the standard ugliness of jaggies.

Buy a new card, RMA it, tell NVIDIA they are twats, i don't know... what do you want anyone to do? buy you a new monitor or GPU?

Buy a new card, RMA it, tell NVIDIA they are twats, i don't know... what do you want anyone to do? buy you a new monitor or GPU?

Which is why I created this thread. Now do you have anything meaningful to say? This is only making the thread more of a clusterfck than it already is.

Which is why I created this thread. Now do you have anything meaningful to say? This is only making the thread more of a clusterfck than it already is.

Considering all avenues you have taken, you have yet to RMA the card you have issues with, if RMA succeeds and the issue still persists, then you may complain.

Also remember as i said these AA method DO NOT work in every game. BF3 used it's own method for AA because it was a deferred rendering engine, and normal methods of AA were not possible.

Considering all avenues you have taken, you have yet to RMA the card you have issues with, if RMA succeeds and the issue still persists, then you may complain.

Also remember as i said these AA method DO NOT work in every game. BF3 used it's own method for AA because it was a deferred rendering engine, and normal methods of AA were not possible.

But I did try an RMA, which you can read about in the gefore thread. It was the 960 I had before, I RMA'd it with EVGA and they sent another back on which I experienced exactly the same. I have tried an array of games from directx 8 to 11 to opengl.

Well I found this thread and the one on the Geforce website after doing some digging on why GTA V looked awful on my 980ti compared to how it looked on my 780. 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/518525-anti-aliasing-not-working-in-gta-v/

Posted that thread earlier in the week. I know what you're talking about TC. 

Hey everyone, I have an update.   I bought a brand new ps4 and a brand new LED 1080p tv the other day.  I figured that if I couldn't play any games on my pc, at least I could play on a ps4 without this graphical issue. My plan was to not connect the ps4 to the internet at all in case this issue might be caused by some kind of network virus, and I needed a brand new tv that had never had contact with my pc, since all of the tvs and monitors in my house seem to be affected.

I did not connect to the internet and popped in the Bloodborne disc and...BAM! temporal aliasing everywhere. I then looked up some gameplay footage to see if this was normal for this game.  Most of the gameplay footage DID NOT have the temporal aliasing problem. One Bloodborne video I found did have the aliasing issue and was posted to youtube to see if anyone else was having the issue. There was a comment from another user saying that he has never experienced this problem while playing bloodborne on his system.  I couldn't believe it. This thing was somehow affecting my brand new ps4 after simply plugging it in at my house. I tried to connect to the internet to see if the ps4 had somehow connected without having the modem password, but it had not. 

I returned the ps4 and tv to Walmart the same day, however they would not return my money for the ps4 so I had to exchange it for a new unopened one. So here I am, no closer to a solution, with a gaming pc that games look like shit on and a ps4 that I'm not going to use or even plug in until we figure this out.

that's why my guess is electrical fault, either the electrical in my house or the power supply is faulty, and maybe causing the component of the motherboard or the CPU itself, because the problem persist even when the gpu is unplugged, even in windows (please take a look on my video posted earlier), the jagginess that appear on the window border is the same on geometry that get jagged on 3D games

or some pseudo virus trying to take spy on me hahaha :D 
*like i was someone important lol

now I stumble on youtube and find a guy that have the same problem, but managed to fix it by using BOTH Ups and Voltage Regulator, I don't know if its true, but if someone wanted to try it woould be great as I can't spent another budget for this PC :(

It's not the electricity quality, this is a digitally produced image it isn't impacted by analogue concerns. Either the electricity is clean enough or its not and since it runs without crashing it is impossible that it's cause is electricity.

then I'm totally lost because the problem is real and visible on my PC even in windows :(
perhaps the virus Idea is making more sense...

This thread is still going I see... 

As stated by several people (including myself) in this thread, it's simply not possible for "unclean" power to effect the visual quality of an image rendered by a GPU. The power conditions have to be very specific (cleaned, conditioned and within very tight tolerances) for a GPU to run. It will either work or not work at all. 

It's not a "virus" either. 

One curious thing to note; I was experimenting with the graphics settings for Project Cars the other day. I tried using some of the Nvidia CP settings to override the in-game settings and I did notice a drop in visual quality - specifically the grass quality, I noticed, had dropped to low and looked horrible even though I had it set to ultra in the in-game settings. Also, regardless of what I set the AA filter to in the Nvidia CP, there was very little to no change to the in-game visuals. It was simply not applying the AA filters for some reason. So, I switched the NCP settings back to "use in-app settings" and not only was the grass quality back to ultra, but the AA settings also started applying properly again (using the in-game AA settings).

So there may be something going on with regards to how the Nvidia/AMD CP settings interact with certain game engines. I noticed the same thing with the AMD catalyst settings. When I would try to override AA settings in catalyst, it would not apply them in-game. It could simply be that for certain games, you must use the in-game settings rather than the NCP settings for the best results in terms of visual effects/quality. 

Regardless, I still firmly believe it is the simple fact that people are starting to become more accustom to higher res displays and more sensitive to normal visual quirks/anomalies of lower resolution displays. What was once a mostly unnoticeable, normal anomaly is now "hey, look at this!". In an earlier post in this thread someone posted up a video of Assassin's Creed Syndicate game play with very little to no AA filtering and it looked like crap - but that's as expected. I recently just bought this game and have been playing it at 1080p native on the "very high" preset with MSAA x2 (which is not even the highest AA setting available) on my 980 and the game looks absolutely beautiful! There's no "shimmering" AA effects, no flickering shadows, and very little object pop-in (occasional). In fact, this is one of the best looking games I've ever played.    

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

[

All of these examples, I believe, are anomalies directly related to the game/game engine and in-game settings. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS