Low image quality on newer GPUs

Demiqas

Sorry, I've overlooked that... I've just lowered Reflection Quality to x2 because the difference is so minor between x4 and x2.

Here you go : 

scrn.png

Cosmic Council Department of Defense ; Interplanetary Class 3 Relations & Diplomatic Affairs - OFFICE 117

Sorry, I've overlooked that... I've just lowered Reflection Quality to x2 because the difference is so minor between x4 and x2.

Here you go : 

hm, yeah something is definitely wrong then; shadows should look great with those settings.  And yeah reflection quality has been a joke since GTA IV - next to nothing vs top notch made almost no difference in appearance.

I would also suggest trying FXAA and not doing any other kind.  You might find it is much less demanding.  Some don't like it but it is worth a shot.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

hm, yeah something is definitely wrong then; shadows should look great with those settings.  And yeah reflection quality has been a joke since GTA IV - next to nothing vs top notch made almost no difference in appearance.

I would also suggest trying FXAA and not doing any other kind.  You might find it is much less demanding.  Some don't like it but it is worth a shot.

Indeed , but i see similar effect on Syndicate (Assassin's Creed) , i've noticed recently that not setting the PCSS Shadow from nvidia , the shadow start to flicker and be a little blocky. i'm reinstalling it right now in a few hour i can do some video , and try to reproduce that.

So i was looking for some videos to show you it's not normal.(I played far cry 3 and AC Syndicate on max settings and still got the white bars on every edge. i play on 1920:1080)

(check columns)

(and this is the best example in my opinion.)

Check the videos and tell me.Is it normal? Is this just the resolution or aliasing problem? 

So i was looking for some videos to show you it's not normal.(I played far cry 3 and AC Syndicate on max settings and still got the white bars on every edge. i play on 1920:1080)

Check the videos and tell me.Is it normal? Is this just the resolution or aliasing problem? 

No that's definitely not normal - never saw that once.  Also, how did you get it to stay on the loading screen for so long?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

No that's definitely not normal - never saw that once.  Also, how did you get it to stay on the loading screen for so long?

As i said at the beginning of my post,videos arent mine.I just searched for them on the internet and i have the same issue.And from my experience if you have a lot of saves on the game,it can load for pretty long time (or you can start a virus scan in any anti-virus or use winrar to pack some big things,when computer is using some power on that stuff loading can be pretty long)

(check columns)

apart of skyrim that is strange (i had that glimmer/shimmering when i had an hd7770 two years ago and the card was defective, but with the r9 270x absolutely no , i have to try now with the GTX 970 , going to install that)

Assassin's Creed always had a shitty anti aliasing , the dude recorded the video doesn't even show up the graphical settings and by far if i'm not wrong AC3 (it's Ac3 on that video) only have FXAA as AA settings 

Battlefield 4 , is the problem that i have in many games with the metal surface and thin texture that tend to get some disturbance effect , when investigating on that is either a bad AA (not working properly , engine problem etc) and a Z-Fighting problem (and that's i think where the card in some point with some 'driver' or 'dx update' get some downgrade , because i don't remember all these z-fighting in games in the past , but i could be wrong i don't have any video to show evidence of that, and seems to be a problem that every card handle in a different way)

As for The Evil Withing , i've played this on the R9 270X and didn't see that effect (and i have to specify that at time i was playing on a 16:10 screen 1050 native resolution) but it seems to be always the awful Z-Fighting problem or something with the ambient occlusion to me.

GTA V is controversial , i do not own or played the game so far but for what i know they have downgraded it sometimes with the various patch (i remember one of the first time after a month or two some people was lamenting that there was a downgrade)

Found some new videos.

(look at the ground)

(look at left and right wall at 0:40)

(tower at 0:10 and just the whole video)

(it's everywhere)

(barriers)

(look at poles)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lSu997jpxs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPDsSyQeKLI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MveRA1me7dQ (look at the bridge)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzff6PxNah8 (barriers again)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVb5YnU0kvk (gta v have more videos becouse u can see the issue in this game best)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDFTkL9TXdU

Sorry if there is too much videos but i really want to show you the issue isnt normal.There is a lot more videos on just youtube of this problem.I hope anyone will figure it out.

Found some new videos.

(look at the ground)

Well for Syndicate he was playing the day one without day one patch...i'm uploading a video right now just some minutes

For Battlefield 3 in that case sincerly i have to agree with Mec777 there's simple awful AA , and remember that the online multiplayer on battlefield 3 and 4 have less details than the single player.. (and in that case i see very very less z-fighting problem)

For GTA 5 idk really , but the dude was playing at 1366x768 res........ so it speak by iteself

Found some new videos.

(look at the ground)

(look at left and right wall at 0:40)

(tower at 0:10 and just the whole video)

(it's everywhere)

(barriers)

(look at poles)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lSu997jpxs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPDsSyQeKLI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MveRA1me7dQ (look at the bridge)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzff6PxNah8 (barriers again)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVb5YnU0kvk (gta v have more videos becouse u can see the issue in this game best)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDFTkL9TXdU

Sorry if there is too much videos but i really want to show you the issue isnt normal.There is a lot more videos on just youtube of this problem.I hope anyone will figure it out.

(SORRY FOR REPOST,MY COMPUTER DIDNT SEE THE LAST ONE)

Found some new videos.

(SORRY FOR REPOST,MY COMPUTER DIDNT SEE THE LAST ONE)

Dude really , i know what is your point and what you indicates as 'issue' i sense all that aliasing too , but really (it take to me someday to have a clear idea that is really normal) the aliasing shit is sadly a natural truth of playing on a 1080p native resolution with bad AA , some post ago i was concerning about the aliasing myself for Ac Syndicate , but tonight i have played it for an hour with the latest patch , and they have fixed it a little .

And beside that i think linking some video that 

-does not show any settings in game or resolution

-have a shitty compression

-have a really old game..that maybe you or the other have played on a 720p monitor or less than that

is really useless.

As far the only two things i continue to call 'issue' (but again not sure of that too) is that incremented z-fighting/flickering texture whatever you wanna call it with some games , and the LOD distance that seems to be decreased than before (but again, not sure about that too..i cannot prove with some video because there isn't any video that can prove that , it's only a 'sensation' )

I think the best solution for everyone is a 1:1 comparisons of videos with the very same settings in game of more user with more cards as possibile (like we did and we possible continue to do me mec and skilled for now) , but not linking some old video with a shit quality :(

Here the Shadows Test video i made for AC SYNDICATE that demostrate the shadow flickering , and the less filtering and lod distance on HIGH settings but not at PCSS or PCSS ULTRA .

And as i said above , with the last patch and with the max AA settings (SMAA x4 + FXAA , don't use TXAA it give some strange effect to the texture with the PCSS or PCSS ULTRA , but that is a problem with the engine since Ac Unity.) i can clearly see an improvement on the edges and the various fences now. (Finally it seems that ubisoft is capable of fixing something :P)

I think the best solution for everyone is a 1:1 comparisons of videos with the very same settings in game of more user with more cards as possibile (like we did and we possible continue to do me mec and skilled for now) , but not linking some old video with a shit quality :(

I agree on using your own videos, more control to show settings and explain it in a REAL world example of your experience, and you have no idea what other people have done to their systems in the background... Can't wait to get my GTX970 back!!!

I have my backup HDD, with ALL my games files and installations, but the limiting factor is the GTX670 atm.

I'd have to lower settings and it wouldn't be apples to apples.

But when I get my GTX970 back I'll do a whole suite of 60second testing across 20-30 or more games.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

i played CSGO at 1153x687 resolution NVIDIA have bad image quality.

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

i played CSGO at 1153x687 resolution NVIDIA have bad image quality.

Usually a non-native resolution is likely the cause of bad image quality...

You see this all the time when using non-native resolutions (lower than native)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Usually a non-native resolution is likely the cause of bad image quality...

You see this all the time when using non-native resolutions (lower than native)

That was the joke :)

Here you go : 

scrn.png

Try turning FXAA on (I find that helps a bit) as well as turning soft shadow option to NVIDIA PCSS. Try again and see what it looks like. Basically, try the settings I'm using in the video I posted on page 26. 

Yes that is normal for the Skyrim engine. I see that myself on the loading screen as well. Always have.

To everyone reading this thread and wanting to contribute gameplay footage:

-Please use your own captured footage.

-Record and uploaded to at least 720p60fps quality.

-Show all relevant game settings (resolution and graphics settings).

It doesn't help if this information is not included and or it's uploaded at 480p. ;) This also ensures we're all using the latest version of these games with all the latest updates, patches and drivers.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Yes that is normal for the Skyrim engine. I see that myself on the loading screen as well. Always have.

Then maybe you also have this problem?  You've confirmed a lot of these things as "normal"... it's starting to sound likely.  I'll say it again for whatever it's worth - I've played that game for countless hours and seen an uncountable number of loading screens and never witnessed anything like that once.

That was the joke :)

This is why I can't have nice things....

:) I'm an idiot.

Don't worry i get a negative IQ score Everitim :(

Why you no like my comment bruhsky? You falling for my BS again? 

:P

Why you no like my comment bruhsky? You falling for my BS again? 

:P

Too busy wiping the tears away from my face, why u do dis!!!

Just don't wanna derail any further, if thats possible.

Too busy wiping the tears away from my face :)

Just don't wanna derail any further, if thats possible.

Indeed, my asshattery is now gone.

Then maybe you also have this problem?  You've confirmed a lot of these things as "normal"... it's starting to sound likely.  I'll say it again for whatever it's worth - I've played that game for countless hours and seen an uncountable number of loading screens and never witnessed anything like that once.

I've seen that on the skyrim loading screen since the day I installed it over a year ago using a 7950. It is normal. All the examples everyone has shown thus far is normal. It is not a "problem". Perhaps you've just never really noticed before?

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

I've seen that on the skyrim loading screen since the day I installed it over a year ago using a 7950. It is normal. All the examples everyone has shown thus far is normal. It is not a "problem". Perhaps you've just never really noticed before?

No, I definitely would have noticed that.  When I first watched that video, it took me a second to see what was going on because I though the file was corrupt at first, only to realize that was the problem.  Quite significant if you ask me, but luckily I've never had to deal with it.