Low image quality on newer GPUs

Demiqas

Play this game on a 4k display with very little to no AA filtering. I bet it looks WAY better and these "issues" are nearly all but non-existent. ;)

I've asked the question at least twice now; if anyone with 1440 or 4k display is having these issues to please speak up. Thus far it only seems to be an issue at 1080 or lower. Looking at a car in the show room in PCars is a rendering nightmare because of the lighting. There's just not enough pixels at 1080 for a properly clear image free of jaggies and shimmering unless you run 4K DSR with the sharpness turned down - but then the result will be a somewhat fuzzy image. It's just the limitations of the pixel density.

The best solution is to simply get a monitor with more pixels/higher pixel density. Not something everyone can do and if it's not an option, the next best thing is to experiment with the various types and levels of AA filtering and or VSR/DSR until you reach a good balance of visual quality with good performance. That is really what this boils down to. 

I tried dsr and ogssaa from 4k resolution and all the aliasing I'm talking about was still there. Hell, I even tried to put 8x sgssaa on top of it just for the hell of it and the jaggies were still visible. I don't know what kind of magical aliasing this is. I'm also willing to bet the image quality keeps lowering with each passing day, as I am now starting to see artifacts in skyrim out of the blue (actual horrendous white artifacting, not just aliasing anymore).

Haha wow, now my windows text is jagged too and my fucking pictures are aliasing.

what kind of joke is this

edit: played some more games and exact same settings, same drivers yet image quality dropped even more. Whereas I could make a game look smooth again with 8xsgssaa, it looks like 4xmsaa now while it draws the same amount of fps. Welp, time to sell my pc and think about quitting gaming I guess.

hey, 1st of all, thank you for this thread

Haha wow, now my windows text is jagged too and my fucking pictures are aliasing.

I have the exact same problem, also for me, when i dragged the window in aero it show jaggedness, somekind of small wave or ripple and its apparent especially on the right frame of the window when moved(dragged), first I thought it was the vga so I unplug the card and go with the IGP but guess what, the problem exist even in windows

and I do have the antialiasing jaggedness, pixelated shadow, shimmering, texture poppin and short distance LOD as mentioned above

I think this is one guy that has this issue the entire thread, made multiple accounts, because i seriously doubt this many people have issues with AA... it's normal..

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

I think this is one guy that has this issue the entire thread, made multiple accounts, because i seriously doubt this many people have issues with AA... it's normal..

Lol I'm not other person, I'm who I am, I've been following this thread and the one in the nvidia forum because My PC started having issue, and I decided to join this forum and post because my sympton is as described by demiqas perhaps even worst, but I'm telling you is true...

I recall the problem started with the windows show some echo on the window frame, like a shadow but it's not. It's very short and almost transparent, barely visible but you can see it on especialy when moved (dragged) and have a contrast background with a focusing eye

I started to adapt and accepting the condition and started to playing my games again, but I wonder what has causing it, and if it's getting worst I'm affraid it affecting the hardware of my PC or maybe it's already are broken..

LOL

shoot you got me, I was bored so I set up this incredibly dedicated ruse. Mods this thread can be closed now

/sarcasm

All these posts but no picture or video.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

of what specifically?  There have been tons of pics and videos linked throughout

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I dont want to argue, but I'm came here to find a solution, and my guess it has something to do with the electrical in my house or the Powersupply has been faulty, either way the electrical affecting the mobo or cpu i dont know, and probably not vga cause when I unplug the vga and switch to the IGP the problems exists, switching the RAM too..

oh ya not sure if its related or not, when i touch the back panel, screw or other metal part of CPU case, i can feel the flow of electricity over it each time the cable connected to the PSU and it started to flow to other equipment too from the same power strip, LCD back panel (connector) for example..

I Recently started to ground by hooking cable to the CPU case and nailed to the floor and the electricity flow are gone, but the flickering/riple on dragging the window or IQ degrade of the game still exist :(

of what specifically? There have been tons of pics and videos linked throughout

from the new one that claimed that it even happened on desktop windows and texts.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

from the new one that claimed that it even happened on desktop windows and texts.

I would gladly post but the video capture compresion often diminish the ripple/wave effect... but I'll try it when I back home..

I would gladly post but the video capture compresion often diminish the ripple/wave effect... but I'll try it when I back home..

Is it visible in a single frame? Because you could post a BMP or PNG screenshot; that would be 100% what you are seeing with no degradation.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

no, on single frame everthing looks fine, but when its move ex dragging, the edge of window border start to waveing,dizzle,fuzzle,ripple i don't know how to called :D

Use uncompressed Lagarith codec, it's only 5-10 secs max so file size won't be a problem i guess.

no, on single frame everthing looks fine, but when its move ex dragging, the edge of window border start to waveing,dizzle,fuzzle,ripple i don't know how to called :D

Sound like screen tearing to me.

Nothing is perfect in this world, and that includes computer graphics and video games. Some of the issues you're descibing are aliasing and temporal aliasing. There are various AA techniques to combat the problems of aliasing. Combat, not defeat. Other things like flickering shadows are either game/game engine related issues or driver related issues. It's not your PC. Since drivers can cause such issues, it might be possible that there are differences between AMD and Nvidia, but these problems do occur often and are considered normal, and I think most people don't even notice them.

It's just the reality of 3d graphics in games. 

https://youtu.be/3kGHHMc5dqE?t=1m34s

I do not know about other games, but in Battlefield 4 I've seen that fucked up shadow multiple times.

Especially in long range sniping.

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

Notice how you all show console ports? these games had XBOX 360 and PS3 in mind, the lower precision in BF games is obvious.

First I would like to say thanks to everyone participating and that I am very impressed with the conversation in this forum (compared to the original NVidia one).  This forum isn't filled with people who have never experienced the issue and refuse to acknowledge that it is real.  Even the members here who believe it's not a real issue offer explanations as to why they feel that way, which is greatly appreciated.

Anyway, I thought I'd mention something.  Most of the conversation has been centered around the aliasing problem, which is probably the most noticeable symptom.  But we shouldn't forget that it is not the ONLY symptom.  I'm talking about drastically lower LOD draw distance and model and texture pop in.  In fact these symptoms presented themselves before the aliasing symptom on my rig, but it wasn't long before I had them all. 

Now let me explain this. In 3d or open world games the "render distance bubble" is A LOT smaller than it was before the problem presented itself.  Objects pop in and textures pop in at about five to ten feet from my character in games such as Skyrim, Witcher 3, and MGS Phantom Pain, as well as others. In many cases you can literally see the line of detail moving with your character about five feet in front of you, and I'm not the only one who has described this exact thing.

When considering this the question is whether or not the aliasing and pop in are both symptoms of the same issue or not. It does not make much sense that they would be, but I believe that they are, due to the number of people experiencing the onset of both of these symptoms at the same time or very close together.  When one happens the other is not far behind. Both of these symptoms together make my games completely unplayable as far as I'm concerned. At this point, games looked 10 times better on my ps3.

Let me make something else very clear.  These issues Absolutely DID NOT exist on these same games before this started.  I am 34 and have been playing games since I was about 6.  I played Witcher 3 all the way through 1 and 1/2 times before this started.  I played Skyrim all the way through about 5 times before this started.  Believe me, if it had been there before I would have noticed.  So please do not patronize the people actually having these problems with the "once you see it, you can't unsee it" theory. I know very well what the amount of normal pop in and aliasing is in games, and yes it has always been there, but definitely not at this level of severity.

On another note, I was at a bar this weekend watching a basketball game on their flatscreen.  The lines painted on the court had horrible temporal and sawblade aliasing every time the camera moved.  What makes this even more confusing is that I could accept that tv and monitor limitations or malfunctions could be partly responsible for the aliasing issues, but what about the pop in and render distance issues?

P.S. Demiqas, please change the title of this form to something more appropriate.

This depends on the game but one of the things that happened recently was that a lot of games started using streaming textures. Its a feature that allows a game to have more textures than the current scene can support and the API will get them in on time. Only quite a few people have noted that with a hard disk drive (I don't see you publishing your specs in your signature but that would help) they get terrain and texture pop in. There is a chance you have just become a victim of the latest drivers and streaming geometry move in the industry and your machine can't keep up as the settings you are using is pushing past VRAM limits or its just struggling due to slow IO.

The other possibility is something has gone badly wrong. Either software or hardware. At the very least reset all the 3D settings in NVCP and ideally do a clean install of the drivers.

Have to tried to get a old non updated copy of one of your games and play it. Is that even possible? Maybe like above said game updates can change things.

I'd love to compare the day one image quality to my current image quality, but then there'd be complaints about low quality recordings or low FPS. Besides, I'd need to buy a new and powerful GPU for that which is basically the last thing I'd want to do right now.

This depends on the game but one of the things that happened recently was that a lot of games started using streaming textures. Its a feature that allows a game to have more textures than the current scene can support and the API will get them in on time. Only quite a few people have noted that with a hard disk drive (I don't see you publishing your specs in your signature but that would help) they get terrain and texture pop in. There is a chance you have just become a victim of the latest drivers and streaming geometry move in the industry and your machine can't keep up as the settings you are using is pushing past VRAM limits or its just struggling due to slow IO.

The other possibility is something has gone badly wrong. Either software or hardware. At the very least reset all the 3D settings in NVCP and ideally do a clean install of the drivers.

All of this does not explain why the image quality keeps degrading.

I remembered that when I switched from my r7 260x to my r9 280x, graphics looked super good for the first two days. After that, there was the obvious degradation, which led me to sell the 280x again. I didn't change anything (purposefully). No directx, no drivers, no settings, no game. All that it took was a restart to fck all aliasing up. After that, not even 24x supersampling made my games look any better than 4xmsaa.

This was actually the whole point of this thread but I got it completely derailed. Why do graphics look good on day one and then everything degrades after a set amount of days?

I'd love to compare the day one image quality to my current image quality, but then there'd be complaints about low quality recordings or low FPS. Besides, I'd need to buy a new and powerful GPU for that which is basically the last thing I'd want to do right now.

I want to see this since i've never seen one. Just 5-10 secs clip showing the jaggies is enough for me.

Use MSI Afterburner/DXTory + Lagarith(uncompressed) codec and upload it to file sharing site like GDrive/Mega/Mediashare/etc uncompressed, not some video streaming site.

I want to see this since i've never seen one. Just 5-10 secs clip showing the jaggies is enough for me.

Use MSI Afterburner/DXTory + Lagarith(uncompressed) codec and upload it to file sharing site like GDrive/Mega/Mediashare/etc uncompressed, not some video streaming site.

ok, this is the best I can get, maybe it's not portray the whole condition but here you go, 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6ZB1ApVOSRfSVQzWHFLM0RLRGc/view?usp=sharing

please do watched at fullscreen