Low image quality on newer GPUs

Demiqas

Hey everyone, I have an update.   I bought a brand new ps4 and a brand new LED 1080p tv the other day.  I figured that if I couldn't play any games on my pc, at least I could play on a ps4 without this graphical issue. My plan was to not connect the ps4 to the internet at all in case this issue might be caused by some kind of network virus, and I needed a brand new tv that had never had contact with my pc, since all of the tvs and monitors in my house seem to be affected.

I did not connect to the internet and popped in the Bloodborne disc and...BAM! temporal aliasing everywhere. I then looked up some gameplay footage to see if this was normal for this game.  Most of the gameplay footage DID NOT have the temporal aliasing problem. One Bloodborne video I found did have the aliasing issue and was posted to youtube to see if anyone else was having the issue. There was a comment from another user saying that he has never experienced this problem while playing bloodborne on his system.  I couldn't believe it. This thing was somehow affecting my brand new ps4 after simply plugging it in at my house. I tried to connect to the internet to see if the ps4 had somehow connected without having the modem password, but it had not. 

I returned the ps4 and tv to Walmart the same day, however they would not return my money for the ps4 so I had to exchange it for a new unopened one. So here I am, no closer to a solution, with a gaming pc that games look like shit on and a ps4 that I'm not going to use or even plug in until we figure this out.

Would have been interesting to see if your old ps4 had the issue in a friends house. So we could figure out if a system which is infected with this "shit" is over or if its only happen as long as its connectet in your house. Would be nice if the people who only reply "normal antialiasing.." could stop reply cause it doesent help at all.. My old Pc with my old monitor has the same issue as well as my new laptop. Everything connected in my house. Didnt had the time to test my pc in a friends house but ill do it for sure. Well with your new ps4 and tv a hardware issue as well as an software virus are excluded. I heart a few times that the electricity cant affect the gpu if its working at all but the fact that no one ever solved this problem shows that it has to be something nearly impossible or atleast something that no one would think about in the first and second place so i dont know. 

that's why my guess is electrical fault, either the electrical in my house or the power supply is faulty, and maybe causing the component of the motherboard or the CPU itself, because the problem persist even when the gpu is unplugged, even in windows (please take a look on my video posted earlier), the jagginess that appear on the window border is the same on geometry that get jagged on 3D games

or some pseudo virus trying to take spy on me hahaha :D 

*like i was someone important lol

now I stumble on youtube and find a guy that have the same problem, but managed to fix it by using BOTH Ups and Voltage Regulator, I don't know if its true, but if someone wanted to try it woould be great as I can't spent another budget for this PC :(

could you link the youtube video?

Perhaps we should bring this to the attention of @Slick @LinusTech

There is apparently a ton of people claiming to be experiencing reduced image quality, even on the latest hardware. I still fail to see what the problem is and if there is in fact an actual real issue. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Could the issue with the ps4 not just be differences in the game builds? It's not like the ps4 only had one release of the game and its near impossible to know which version of the game any video is actually running or what is on a disk. There could be quite a few versions on the physical disks released and online connected ones will have had lots of updates.

Perfectly possible this is optimisation to improve game performance, its the sort of change developers make to improve performance.

I don't feel like going through the entire thread to see if its been asked, but what version of windows are people using who are having problems? 

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I don't feel like going through the entire thread to see if its been asked, but what version of windows are people using who are having problems? 

I believe it is several versions of Windows as well as versions of Linux.  The issue has appeared to people on multiple platforms, playing multiple games, using a variety of GPUs (intel, AMD, nvidia)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I think the electricity somehow harm the gpu or maybe other hardware. I tested my pc in a friends house (only for like 5 minutes or something cause we had not much time) and i got the problems still and he on his pc didnt. My fathers pc which is a bit older has it, my old pc which 100% didnt had it has it and my laptop as well.

To really find out if its something like this we would need a pc without this problem and use it in  a household where this problem exists. (ps3/4 xbox could also work)

So if someone has a friend with maybe an old console or an old pc he doesnt use anymore, it would be perfect because i cant ask my friend to maybe burn his pc by using it at my house^^..

Maybe someone could borrow a pc (check if its without this problem on the old house) and use it for 1-2 weeks. Maybe the problem happens right after connecting it. After that it would be interesting if this pc still works fine in the house it worked before.. Maybe the only way to see if this theory is true. The only thing i could imagine right now. Tested nearly everything..

I think the electricity somehow harm the gpu or maybe other hardware. 

Sorry but I just don't see how that's possible. The PSU and the VRMs on the graphics card and motherboard conditions the power to within specific limits for the CPU/GPU to function. Power spikes, ripple etc, it's all filtered out at the PSU. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Sorry but I just don't see how that's possible. The PSU and the VRMs on the graphics card and motherboard conditions the power to within specific limits for the CPU/GPU to function. Power spikes, ripple etc, it's all filtered out at the PSU. 

I dont see a logical explanation for that either but i tested everything and the electricity is the only connection between for example me and my fathers pc. And the fact that it appears from one day to the other.. dont know. changed hardware and software and the fact that no one ever found a fix (except for the guy on this yt video: "By bad voltage from electricity and I bought ups and stabilizer and the problem completely disappear. ") i think when it would be something logical someone somewhere would find a fix

I dont see a logical explanation for that either but i tested everything and the electricity is the only connection between for example me and my fathers pc. And the fact that it appears from one day to the other.. dont know. changed hardware and software and the fact that no one ever found a fix (except for the guy on this yt video: "By bad voltage from electricity and I bought ups and stabilizer and the problem completely disappear. ") i think when it would be something logical someone somewhere would find a fix

I agree that it is odd that "bad electricity" could be causing problems in a highly sensitive digital system like a GPU only to the point where minor but consistently similar graphical glitches are present (and not outright crashes), but since all the evidence and logic we have seems to suggest that it is (possibly, at least) the cause, we should at least attempt to investigate further, even if there is also logic to suggest that it is absurd.

To that end, does anyone who still follows this thread and has the problem have an opportunity to try using their system on a UPS vs not, or going to someone else's house who you know does not have the issue?  If that does indeed fix it, we have an obligation to continue investigating that further, since it would be a very unexpected outcome, honestly.  If it does not help, then we really should put the theory to bed, despite how much it seems to be the one and only common denominator of who does and does not have the problem.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I agree that it is odd that "bad electricity" could be causing problems in a highly sensitive digital system like a GPU only to the point where minor but consistently similar graphical glitches are present (and not outright crashes), but since all the evidence and logic we have seems to suggest that it is (possibly, at least) the cause, we should at least attempt to investigate further, even if there is also logic to suggest that it is absurd.

To that end, does anyone who still follows this thread and has the problem have an opportunity to try using their system on a UPS vs not, or going to someone else's house who you know does not have the issue?  If that does indeed fix it, we have an obligation to continue investigating that further, since it would be a very unexpected outcome, honestly.  If it does not help, then we really should put the theory to bed, despite how much it seems to be the one and only common denominator of who does and does not have the problem.

I wore the system unit in another house.Connected to samsung 40 all the same

I wore the system unit in another house.Connected to samsung 40 all the same

Then the only thing i could imagine is that the gpu or other hardware get constantly harmed by that fault. I really dont know what else could cause these issues.. everybody that gets it get it at all pcs and consoles so it only can be some electricity thing i guess.. software and hardware are excluded otherwise it wouldnt happen on consoles or am i wrong?

That person on YT may have claimed to have fixed it by that method, but I would be extremely skeptical of this, to the point of calling it BS. Not to be harsh, but just based on the facts of the matter. We're talking about specific graphical "errors" (which I have still yet to see with my own eyes). 

One thought crossed my mind as a wild stab in the dark; has anyone who's experienced these issues tried swapping the display cable being used? HDMI, DP, DVI? Did it make any difference?

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

One thought crossed my mind as a wild stab int he dark; has anyone who's experienced these issues tried swapping the display cable being used? HDMI, DP, DVI? Did it make any difference?

As long as we're talking digital standards (no VGA) I can't imagine how that would make a difference, but at this point I guess we really have to entertain any possibility.  good idea :)

One thought crossed my mind as a wild stab int he dark; has anyone who's experienced these issues tried swapping the display cable being used? HDMI, DP, DVI? Did it make any difference?

I have recently (about a month ago), but bring no difference swapping from DVI to HDMI..  the only different is the a little ghosting or halo (repetition image on window like shadow but it's not, and very transparent) on windows border are gone

Then the only thing i could imagine is that the gpu or other hardware get constantly harmed by that fault. I really dont know what else could cause these issues.. everybody that gets it get it at all pcs and consoles so it only can be some electricity thing i guess.. software and hardware are excluded otherwise it wouldnt happen on consoles or am i wrong?

yes my thought exactly the same. if its true elictrical or PSU fault then by the time the sympthon is visible is meaning that the component (I presume it's the motherboard) has already been broken or at least miss behave...  because in my case, it doesn't happen instantly, i remember when i first bought the PC, it was all good, then after 5 month or less suddenly it degrading and I realize when I touch the back panel of the CPU case it's been flowed with elictriciy though it's weak but it's there and then everything gone worst...

but it just my preasumption :)

As long as we're talking digital standards (no VGA) I can't imagine how that would make a difference, but at this point I guess we really have to entertain any possibility.  good idea :)

I can't imagine how it would make a difference either. It's a digital signal. Was more just a thought and not sure if someone had tried. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

OK it seems that this thing is either electrical or virus related. I want to talk more about the virus possibility. Here are some of my thoughts and observations. Pay attention, because there are some ridiculous crazy sounding possibilities, but since we have not found a different answer I find no harm in discussing it.

If this is some kind of virus, it seems to spread to all electronics that can store information that are all on the same internet network. See, this problem started for me in the last place I lived and when I moved it followed me.  This means that it was stored on my computer and when I brought the computer to my new house the virus spread to all the monitors or tvs that my computer was hooked up to, but what about the tv that shows the problem that my computer never had physical contact with? What about my laptop that my pc never came into contact with?

Possibly when I plugged my pc into the modem the virus took the modem and then spread to the other devices through the network. The tv that was never hooked up to my computer is a smart tv, but I have never connected it to the internet. I never connected the ps4 and brand new tv I experimented with to the internet. For something to connect to a modem wirelessly there is a modem password that needs to be entered into that device in order to access the internet. This means that in order for this to be a virus the wireless signal would have to force itself onto the device without the owner giving permission by entering the password.

I have talked to people who are way more tech savvy than I am and some of them said that this is possible. One of them made the observation that if this were a virus that whoever made was very good at it, considering it seems to be able to infect all windows versions, mac os, Linux, and whatever os playstation uses. This person would also have had to want to ruin people's days awful bad, considering the work that had to go into it.

I met a guy at a party who was very interested in what I had to say about this issue. He works for a company that uses a lot of digital drafting software and pays a lot of money for network security IT guys. He suggested that I put all my drivers into a zip file and email it to him at his work, the idea being that if there were some kind of easily spread virus and it infected his workplace then their security team would be able to find it. I actually thought about doing it but I'm not going to in case there really is some virus and I don't want to get sued or something like that.

P.S. Yes I know all of this sounds very far fetched, but as long as we're taking shots in the dark.....

*snip*

I'm pretty sure that's impossible... even more so than the power problem.  A device cannot connect to the network by itself if it is secured with a password - it would have to have been shipped from the factory with hacking software/hardware built in and pre-programmed ti hack your network and connect itself... now we're just talking ridiculous conspiracies.  

Second, there is absolutely no way that the same virus could affect a playstation, a windows computer, and a smart TV.  It is also exceedingly unlikely that any virus would either ( a ) have these visual glitches as a side effect, or ( b ) cause this as an intended result.

I'm pretty sure that's impossible... even more so than the power problem.  A device cannot connect to the network by itself if it is secured with a password - it would have to have been shipped from the factory with hacking software/hardware built in and pre-programmed ti hack your network and connect itself... now we're just talking ridiculous conspiracies.  

Second, there is absolutely no way that the same virus could affect a playstation, a windows computer, and a smart TV.  It is also exceedingly unlikely that any virus would either ( a ) have these visual glitches as a side effect, or ( b ) cause this as an intended result.

I know, I think it's impossible too. I was just sharing my paranoid thoughts since not many people have discussed the possibility of a virus or some kind of rootkit.

I know, I think it's impossible too. I was just sharing my paranoid thoughts since not many people have discussed the possibility of a virus or some kind of rootkit.

I think that's because it is even harder to believe than the electricity idea.  It implies someone:

• had the skill, motivation, and time to create a virus capable of executing on and transferring between many devices of entirely different architecture, hardware, and software
  • had the skill, motivation, and time to create a virus capable of hacking into wireless networks as necessary and using that and only that to spread to other devices.
    • Note we are not talking drive by downloads, infected email attachments, or triggering a forged update here; we are saying it would have to directly push the virus onto those devices and have them execute it with no other means of activation
  • had the opportunity and desire to plant it on 1 or more playstations before they left the factory.  That suggests an inside job at Sony
  • Did this, and either
    • a: despite the world-leading skill required, was unable to completely cover their tracks (the virus is creating graphical glitches as a side effect)
    • or b: did it for the sole purpose of creating graphical glitches.  motive?????

Is it impossible?  I don't like that word generally since it tends to be used on things that are really just extremely unlikely, but I feel confident saying this is literally impossible, as well as insanely unlikely.

Check out the youtube link that Silverhawk posted on page 21 of this thread.  The people commenting are having the exact same issue and the oldest comment is from 2 years ago!  This proves that nobody has ever been able to solve this.  We need more help.  I encourage anyone who knows somebody who knows somebody who knows somebody who works in the tech industry to try and get them involved. Some insight from professional electricians couldn't hurt either. Anyone who could solve this or even pinpoint the cause would be considered a hero in my book.  I wonder if anyone who works for linus tech tips ever reads these forums.

I wonder if anyone who works for linus tech tips ever reads these forums.

Linus does monitor it but rarely comments, and he doesn't have notification turned on so you can't get his attention by tagging him in text.  They've got more important stuff to do :)