Scientists Unravel a Little More of the Mystery Behind Fast, Intense Radio Signals from Space

DevilishBooster

Original Source: http://www.popularmechanics.com/space/a18381/fast-radio-burst-evidence/

Additional Reference Sources:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3343015/Narrowing-source-mysterious-fast-radio-bursts-Astronomers-discover-bizarre-sig.html

http://phys.org/news/2015-12-team-mysterious-fast-radio.html

The phys.org article has some really good information.

​For the past few years, radio astronomers have been haunted by a phantom called "fast radio bursts." Radio observatories detect a fast, high energy signal coming from seemingly out of nowhere, then just as quickly disappearing before they've had any chance to figure out where they came from or what caused them. The radio signal is spread out enough to indicate it came from a far off galaxy, but beyond that, not much is known.

But finally, as relayed today in Nature,  radio astronomers at the NRAO Green Bank Observatory have taken one very small step toward it. It all happened by accident.

It was only caught at resolution of 1 millisecond, usually not enough to discern anything about the signal. Except, in this case, the survey was searching for neutral hydrogen, meaning it had to be attuned to both negative and positive particles as well. This meant that, for the first time, the Green Bank team caught richer data on polarization of the signal.

Specialized software helped extract the fast radio burst from more than 40 terabytes of survey data, and gave the sliver more of information astronomers now have. But the mystery of the fast radio burst still isn't solved.

I think my favorite part of this is that, once again, a significant find happened by accident. These are the best kinds of discoveries in my opinion.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

Wow, that's always been an interesting aspect of space. 

Still creepy nonetheless 

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Wow, that's always been an interesting aspect of space. 

Still creepy nonetheless 

I feel like I should tag @Slick in this thread... ;):P:D

END OF LINE

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

I feel like I should tag @Slick in this thread... ;):P:D

ooh yes :0 

@Slick

Edited by Godlygamer23

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

AYYYLMAO

Join da discord 

Spoiler

(Intel Core i5 4590 - XFX R9 280 - ASUS z97-A USB 3.1 - EVGA SuperNOVA 750B - 16GB EVGA DDR3-EDITION - NZXT H440 -

WD BLACK 1TB - OZC ARC 100 240gb)

#locked(ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

Yeah now if they only figure wtf the Great Attractor is maybe we'd be getting somewhere in astrophysics, of course they still have work to do on this.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Yeah now if they only figure wtf the Great Attractor is maybe we'd be getting somewhere in astrophysics, of course they still have work to do on this.

mind telling me what this great attractor is?

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Everything in space seems to be heading towards a single point for some unknown reason.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

The Great Attractor is a gravity anomaly in intergalactic space within the vicinity of the Hydra-Centaurus Supercluster at the center of the Laniakea Supercluster that reveals the existence of a localized concentration of mass tens of thousands of times more massive than the Milky Way.

great_attractor.0.png

Think of it like a giant mass beyond any conceivable scale and worst of all we can't detect what it is.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Everything in space seems to be heading towards a single point for some unknown reason.

The Great Attractor is a gravity anomaly in intergalactic space within the vicinity of the Hydra-Centaurus Supercluster at the center of the Laniakea Supercluster that reveals the existence of a localized concentration of mass tens of thousands of times more massive than the Milky Way.

great_attractor.0.png

Think of it like a giant mass beyond any conceivable scale and worst of all we can't detect what it is.

wow, maybe its a giant black hole or something similar to a black hole thats pulling everything closer to it

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

wow, maybe its a giant black hole or something similar to a black hole thats pulling everything closer to it

It's on a scale beyond black holes, it would have to be billions of black holes combined worth of mass if not a larger scale

It's on a scale beyond black holes, it would have to be billions of black holes combined worth of mass if not a larger scale

Even if you put every black hole in the universe together, it still wouldn't suck as much as the Cleveland Browns....

Oooooooooh! Buuuuuuuuuuurn!! #getrekt

END OF LINE

That quote told me nothing but "discovery happened by accident".

They are closer to finding out but stil far away,great. So much info.

Is there anything interesting in the source links or did OP mentioned everything important about this news ? Because for me its news about nothing :/

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Is there anything interesting in the source links or did OP mentioned everything important about this news ? Because for me its news about nothing :/

It depends on how you define interesting. I found the articles to be very interesting.

END OF LINE

It depends on how you define interesting. I found the articles to be very interesting.

I expected some specific information to what scientists revealed.

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

I expected some specific information to what scientists revealed.

If you read the article(s) then you would find that information. ;)

END OF LINE

If you read the article(s) then you would find that information. ;)

Thank you, i wanted to know if it was worthwile reading them :)

This articles might as well all be named "Scientists inexplicable decides to accept an interview with an ignorant reporter that will claim a very minor and out of context peculiarity means "ALIENS AND THUS HALF LIFE 3 #CONFIRMED!"

Also, time travel.

-------

Current Rig

-------

This articles might as well all be named "Scientists inexplicable decides to accept an interview with an ignorant reporter that will claim a very minor and out of context peculiarity means "ALIENS AND THUS HALF LIFE 3 #CONFIRMED!"

Also, time travel.

Idk if anyone ever told you, but drugs are bad. Stay away from drugs...

END OF LINE

Dude, just no. Nope, huhu!

It was published in Nature. Know what that means? In Nature. Sure there is more work to be done but that is science but it is quite a brekthrough.

And fascinating as the great atractor is, the Universe is still expanding ever faster so it is not enough to stop the energy in nothing from isolating further and further.

Main rig: Shockwave - MSI Z170 Gaming 7 MOBO, i7-6700k, 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM, KFA2 GTX 980ti HOF, Corsair RM1000 PSU, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, WD 7200RPM 3TB, Corsair Air 540 White, ASUS P278Q 1440p 144Hz display.

Laptop: Lenovo Y510p, i7-4700HQ, 12 GB (8+4) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM, GT755 2GB SLI graphis card, 1366x768 display.