Nest and Yale goes together and makes the Linus Yale Lock (No joke)

So the Google-owned company Nest is apparently working together with Yale on the "Linus Yale Lock", a smart door lock for your home. It's a keyless lock that can connect to your pre-existing nest system or as a standalone unit and let you see who is coming and leaving the house on your smartphone. Souns pretty cool :) The lock is coming in 2016. What do you guys think?

Links:

https://nest.com/works-with-nest/
https://yale2you.com/linuslock

I thought this was already a thing?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

It might be, but I just heard about it :)

Linus Yale Lock makes me wonder if they named it after linus

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Remembering google engineers rant on the nest smoke alarm, I'm afraid this will be just one more thing to break. I don't think you would like to be locked out of your house just because of software bug...

The rant:

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I don't know about homes, but this would be great for businesses if you could give different PIN codes to all your employees. 

Linus was talking about this on the wan show. He's contacted the company and asked to be the first one to review it. Apparently they haven't said no yet...

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

BTW, if I remember correctly, some Yale locks are as bad as Master locks.....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

google engineers 

While testing the product in its beta state 

no consumer models.

See, I'd think this was really, really cool...if the lock didn't need batteries to run. Isn't that how they work?

If I have to have a key as a back up, I might as well carry a key.

Remembering google engineers rant on the nest smoke alarm, I'm afraid this will be just one more thing to break. I don't think you would like to be locked out of your house just because of software bug...

The rant:

Haha. I'd be taking a hammer to them real quick.

I don't think that really counts as a rant though.

I don't know about homes, but this would be great for businesses if you could give different PIN codes to all your employees. 

That already exists.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

The rant:

that video is not very helpful

While testing the product in its beta state 

no consumer models.

The smoke alarm was introduced in 2013. The video is early 2015. You can see that he used the original one in the video. Your point? They had version 2 in mid 2015 and have no idea its like now, but previous one had its flaws

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

that video is not very helpful

By saying not very helpful you mean the title and live demonstration isn't clear? It's pretty clear that the first version of nest protect was a rushed product will flawed software. Same thing can happen with the doors. Not to mention the repair cost if someone tries to vandalize it

That already exists.

Yes... I'm well aware of that. It's been around for ages, and is used in lots of locations.... So yes, it is great for businesses (which is what I was saying). It's a validated market.

It is, but was a smaller company that made it, not a tech monster like Google, thats why most people are hearing about it now.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

It is, but was a smaller company that made it, not a tech monster like Google, thats why most people are hearing about it now.

I meant as in its being used commonly.. (though in businesses)

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

By saying not very helpful you mean the title and live demonstration isn't clear? It's pretty clear that the first version of nest protect was a rushed product will flawed software. Same thing can happen with the doors. Not to mention the repair cost if someone tries to vandalize it

or a bug happened like it happens in literally every software ever made except Hello World!

are you insinuating the @LinusTech monitors when his employees come and go via his phone

nope, i completely forgot about that xD

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

or a bug happened like it happens in literally every software ever made except Hello World!

That's his point. That if there's a software bug and you get locked out of your house, it ain't THAT fun... 

Loved the kick on the cooler at the end of the video btw :)