VTech admits to toy hack - 6.4 million children affected

zMeul

source: http://www.kitguru.net/gaming/security-software/jon-martindale/vtech-admits-to-toy-hack-that-affected-6-4-million-children/

just posted about google fuck-up with Chromebooks not 2 hours ago, and now this?! jeez fucking christ when will it stop!

Hong Kong based toy-company, VTech, has admitted that the details of more than six million children and their parents were revealed in a recent hack of its Innotab child-friendly tablet. The hack revealed not only names and addresses, but often photos that the children had taken, as well as messages sent between users through the various applications on the device.

“Regretfully our database was not as secure as it should have been,” VTech’s updated FAQ page reads. On the 14th November its “Learning Lodge,” App store was broken into it said, giving a hacker access to the customer database and Kid Connect servers. This led to other sites and services bring affected, including Lumibeauxreves.com, VSmilelink.com, Sleepybearlullabytime.com and many other international VTech owned entities.

In total they were able to access more than 190GB of photos and audio logs. In many cases, those can then be traced back to usernames and account details, which makes the security breach even more worrisome for those affected or using child-friendly, heavily connected devices.

---

I want to take a 2x4 to their knees  :angry:

source: http://www.kitguru.net/gaming/security-software/jon-martindale/vtech-admits-to-toy-hack-that-affected-6-4-million-children/

just posted about google fuck-up with Chromebooks not 2 hours ago, and now this?! jeez fucking christ when will it stop!

---

I want to take a 2x4 to their knees  :angry:

Why not take a 2x4 to the attacker's knees.

And everyone else who attacked them that day; it would take you a few days to actually do it

Thousands upon thousands of people try to hack them everyday, and just now one got in? It's still unacceptable yes but calm down jeez. They have notified people and done whatever they needed to. You're acting as if they just sat back and watched the 190gb stream through

Shipping sucks

Sorry but why would anyone want VTech user's info? How many people even use a VTech anyway? Most parents I know just get an ipad and let their kids use them.

CPU: AMD FX-6350@4.2Ghz GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX2.0 RAM: 2x4Gb Kingston Fury Black + 2x4Gb Corsair Vengeance HDD: WD Green 1Tb SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300 60Gb CASE: DeepCool Tesseract SW

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fJLRWZ

And everyone else who attacked them that day; it would take you a few days to actually do it

Thousands upon thousands of people try to hack them everyday, and just now one got in? It's still unacceptable yes but calm down jeez. They have notified people and done whatever they needed to. You're acting as if they just sat back and watched the 190gb stream through

I can't calm down when the company that entrust your data with sais .. sorry

how about bringing the best security to the products they offer? they do have the money

I remember like it was yesterday when BitDefender "lost" users' data - a company that specializes in security

what the actual fuck!

and you tell me to be calm? no, I can't be calm

---

MicroSoft might be a lot of things, but I don't recall them ever being "hacked" - at least not that they made it public

The hackers are not people you'd be able to find easily, also if a company blatantly forgets about security they are also to blame

jeez fucking christ when will it stop!

The sad truth is it will likely only get worse from here as technology becomes more widespread there are simply more things to hack

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Seriously, wtf is this company saving the names and adresses of million of children? That is bad enough, but pictures and audiologs? That as a paedophiles dream come true! Seriously wtf.

Sorry but why would anyone want VTech user's info? How many people even use a VTech anyway? Most parents I know just get an ipad and let their kids use them.

What part of 6.4 million is difficult to understand? That is more people than there is in Denmark or Norway.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Seriously, wtf is this company saving the names and adresses of million of children? That is bad enough, but pictures and audiologs? That as a paedophiles dream come true! Seriously wtf.

What part of 6.4 million is difficult to understand? That is more people than there is in Denmark or Norway.

Inb4 it appears that they stored them in plain text. *Sigh* some companies need to take security seriously.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Vtech actually sells a TON of those electronic learning tablets. Used to work for Target in Electronics (and by proximity Toys) and can tell you those things go off the shelves as soon as you get them during Christmas season.

Vtech's been hacked in, yo.

Yeah that was shit, I'm going to bed.

dammit i wanted to be the first to make a horrid vtec joke, yo.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

That's a lot of people.

Fortunately in this case, the hacker that exposed this vulnerability was not a nefarious one. In a chat with Motherboard they revealed that they were “sickened,” that it was so easy to access such sensitive details, especially the personal images of children. “VTech should have the book thrown at them,” they said.

custom-honda-civic-vtec-kicker-14.jpg

+

hacker-hacking-dark-hoodie.jpg

=

Think-of-the-Children.jpg

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

brownninja97, on 03 Dec 2015 - 01:31 AM, said:

dammit i wanted to be the first to make a horrid vtec joke, yo.

huehue xD

I can't calm down when the company that entrust your data with sais .. sorry

how about bringing the best security to the products they offer? they do have the money

I remember like it was yesterday when BitDefender "lost" users' data - a company that specializes in security

what the actual fuck!

and you tell me to be calm? no, I can't be calm

---

MicroSoft might be a lot of things, but I don't recall them ever being "hacked" - at least not that they made it public

kk have fun being mad

Shipping sucks

The hackers are not people you'd be able to find easily, also if a company blatantly forgets about security they are also to blame

I want you to read that sentence through again

slowly

sound it out bud

Shipping sucks

I want you to read that sentence through again

slowly

sound it out bud

Umm there is nothing wrong with it?? Unless I miss spelled a word which really doesn't matter

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Umm there is nothing wrong with it?? Unless I miss spelled a word which really doesn't matter

you said it's difficult, and implied they could find out exact information (therefore implying an entire different level of difficulty to stop) and then hate on the people who've been successfully defending EVERYTHING for....how long?

Shipping sucks

This is bad. I thought from the title that someone hacked into the microphones into toys that talk back to you. but this is much worse.

LOOK AT MY NEW FLAG DESIGNS FOR PA AND VOTE ON YOUR FAVORITE

LOOK AT MY FIRST BATCH OF DESIGNS HERE

4690K @ 4.5GHz

GTX 970 FTW

MSI Z97 PC MATE

Define R5 windowed

Cooler Master Seidon 240m

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Kingston 120gb SSD

SanDisk 480Gb SSD

Seagate 1Tb Hard drive

I always thought these devices were incredibly stupid. Here are more reasons not to buy them I guess...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I'm just cringing at the videos the kids mightve taken by accident while changing or something. :(

- snip-

You're acting as if they just sat back and watched the 190gb stream through

If they weren't using all the latest standards in security that they should have/could have, then they pretty much were.  And they basically admitted to it:

"Regretfully our database was not as secure as it should have been,”

If they were doing everything they could and someone hacks in, no one could blame them, but if they weren't doing their part to keep people secure, its as much their fault as the attackers.  Unfortunately this kind of thing is common and it's not like this 1 company is particularly bad at all.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Uhh the bigger issue to me is the huge amount of pictures and recordings and stuff of children.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

It's getting pretty depressing, seeming every company fails to take security seriously. I guess it's expensive and you have to make the quarterly figures look good right???

From cars manufacturers, to toy manufacturers, to utility companies, they don't take it seriously until they get hacked and they improve it only as part of an emergency PR repair exercise.