Good read on piracy in the game industry

SpenceSouth

Makers of Game Dev Tycoon pirated their own game in order to teach others a lesson in online piracy.  The data they gather and the amount of people they reached with it are crazy.  Basically 95% of the people playing their game had pirated it, and were doomed to always lose the game because the users profits in the game would always be lost due to online pirates in the game lol.  

It gets funny when someone who was using the cracked version of the game posted "Why are there so many people that pirate?  It ruins me!  I had like 5m and then people suddenly started pirating everything I made, even if I got really good ratings ( that I usually get).  Not fair.  Is there any way to keep it from happening? Changing platform won't help"

The irony of this is hilarious.

Really interesting read.  Highly recommended.

http://www.greenheartgames.com/2013/04/29/what-happens-when-pirates-play-a-game-development-simulator-and-then-go-bankrupt-because-of-piracy/

i5-3570K @4.2ghz | Gigabyte Z77-DS3H | 16GB G. Skill Ripjaw 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 (2x8GB) | 120GB Vertex 3/640GB WD 7200RPM | AMD HD7950 @ 1025mhz | 600W Corsair CS600 | Hyper 212 CPU Cooler | 5x 120mm fans 79cfm | Ultra Defender Case

I found this game absolutely hilarious and amusing, I'm glad the dev's implemented that to teach a lesson.

I found this game absolutely hilarious and amusing, I'm glad the dev's implemented that to teach a lesson.

Yeah it was really cool how they did it.  Too funny, but really drives the point home.

i5-3570K @4.2ghz | Gigabyte Z77-DS3H | 16GB G. Skill Ripjaw 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 (2x8GB) | 120GB Vertex 3/640GB WD 7200RPM | AMD HD7950 @ 1025mhz | 600W Corsair CS600 | Hyper 212 CPU Cooler | 5x 120mm fans 79cfm | Ultra Defender Case

I learned my lesson before this game came out and I learned it the hard way...

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

Can't imagine that went well.  At one point I know I viewed the internet as "free", and that meant most of the stuff on it.  Never really torrented anything, but I easily could have been one of those people.  As a developer now, I have a lot more respect for peoples work that goes up online.  

Didn't that happen months ago?

Spoiler
Spoiler

"You know I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. You feeling me cocksucker?"

Spoiler

"Ethernet is internet juice. You have to press the internet really hard and you will get it."

Spoiler

"My quantum milk machine brings every boy to all the yards." non futuis et sursum

PC Specs! | I7-950 | 24GB RAM | 10TB Storage | GTX 970 Strix and a 560TI DCUII for Physx | 120GB 840 + 250GB 850 EVO | Asus xonar DGX

Please take a moment to look over the forum CoC here.

Can't imagine that went well.  At one point I know I viewed the internet as "free", and that meant most of the stuff on it.  Never really torrented anything, but I easily could have been one of those people.  As a developer now, I have a lot more respect for peoples work that goes up online.  

It destroyed me, credit card info's etc...

took me 2 weeks to recover, and all for mw1

#KilledMyWife 

Oh well that must have been a blast. What happened if you don't mind me asking?

Oh well that must have been a blast. What happened if you don't mind me asking?

500 dollars and hell for my parents later, and a good few nights spent trying to get malware that was absolutely stuck to my hdd on a computer that wasn't even mine

and I had learned my lesson... 

just like my uncle who quit drinking when he was 15 because he fell into a bon-fire 

#KilledMyWife 

I heard about this a while. It's a very clever publicity stunt and it shows pirates what effect they have on indie game devs.

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

I have seen this. I actually got a copy of the game that didn't have that purposely making you lose thing on a torrent site. It wasn't bad but you know. I played it for a few hours and stopped it because piracy is bad. And I did it to an indie game.

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

When I was younger 9-10 I would do stuff like this. Now I know its wrong...

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

When I was younger 9-10 I would do stuff like this. Now I know its wrong...

I knew our was wrong when I was at that age but I couldn't care less about it. I always wondered why games and even movies cost like that.

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

This all depends on whether the piracy-edition joke blew up before or after that article. It wouldn't surprise me if they ended up getting a lot of copies pirated simply because people wanted to see the joke for themselves.

And as always, they're painting this picture as 3104+ people whose purchases they're missing out on, rather than 3104+ people who otherwise would never have played the game, or 3104+ people who will potentially pay for the proper version.

Isn't this old news already?

CoolerMaster CM 690 II Basic | Intel i7-2600 | CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ 2x Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! Edition

Asus P8Z77-V LK | 2 x 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz CL9 | SeaSonic M12ii 850W 80+ Bronze Crucial M4 128GB

500 dollars and hell for my parents later, and a good few nights spent trying to get malware that was absolutely stuck to my hdd on a computer that wasn't even mine

and I had learned my lesson... 

just like my uncle who quit drinking when he was 15 because he fell into a bon-fire 

young pirates always gets into problems:P

it took me a year to know how to navigate the open seas 

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Brilliant! More Devs should implement something like this, though not necessarily posting it themselves, maybe some kind of automatic detection or something :P

" If you don't hand your homework In, I might have find where you live and break your House." <<-- Mr Leat, 2013

This was a great read for those who had not seen or heard about it before.  It was good to see that some perspective was able to be given to folks who were previously clueless on the ramifications of their actions on the marketplace.  Thanks for sharing.

This is awesome! I learned my lesson about pirating once I pirated Windows 8. All I had was problems. Now with a genuine copy of windows, I have no issues. I hope that more game developers put this in their games!

(YAY 500 POSTS!)

CPU: RYZEN 5 2600   Motherboard: MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC   Memory: CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 16GB 3200MHZ   Storage: TEAM GROUP MP33 1TB

GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW   Case: COOLER MASTER NR200P   PSU: CORSAIR SF600   Mouse: G PRO WIRELESS   Keyboard: ANNE PRO 2

all im going to say is there should be a demo. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

I may or may not have pirated, but I may or may not have bought two copies when I got the money.