Seagate Barracuda vs WD Black

TacoDreams

I'm building my first PC here in the new couple of weeks & i've been going back & forth between the Seagate Barracuda & WD Black.

I've been reading reviews on both of the drives & a lot of people have been saying that the Seagate Barracuda dies after about a year of use.

Now on the other hand, people have been saying the WD Black is very noisy.

So the main question I have is, is the WD Black worth the extra money?

NO

Seagate had issues how many years ago now? Where tsunami forced them to basically stop QC

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

just get the HGST Deskstar NAS drive over both. Much cheaper in almost every case, almost as fast (with similar access speeds and that's what matters most with an HDD), quiet (compared to both of the above), and extremely well known reliability...

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

I have a 2TB seagate.

I have no issues with it, as long as you take good care of your system it should do you fine.

I'm building my first PC here in the new couple of weeks & i've been going back & forth between the Seagate Barracuda & WD Black.

I've been reading reviews on both of the drives & a lot of people have been saying that the Seagate Barracuda dies after about a year of use.

Now on the other hand, people have been saying the WD Black is very noisy.

So the main question I have is, is the WD Black worth the extra money?

Don't worry all HDD's die at around the same time so you will be happy with both, just get whats cheaper 

Never had an issue with my WD Black... Can't hear it over my case fans anyways.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

Seagates Barracudas and WD Blues are standard HDDs and last about the same. I'd use them for most computers

Seagate Barracuda Greens (not made anymore) and WD Greens are "ECO" drives, which basically means they are slower and you will save 10c per year. I wouldn't recommend them

WD Blacks are expected to last longer and some have more Cache. I'd get them only if you have a high budget.

Seagates were bad after the Japanese Tsunami, they are fine now.

Ive always used a WD black, 2 1TB ones and a 4Tb one. You can hear the read and write head moving around when you are copying files or whatever but if you have it properly mounted its really not an issue. Unless you start hearing scraping then you have an issue. Either way dont expect hardrives to last that long. My 1tb started to get really loud after 2 years but WD happily replaced it.

[Case Mod] Operation: The Division --- > Here

[CUSTOM WATER COOLED TABLE] Project: Ravage ---> Here

-== QUOTE ME IN YOUR REPLY IF YOU WANT ME TO RESPOND ==-

Never had issues with Barracudas but omg the failure rates on Constellations, which are proper NAS disk and are supposed to be better. 

Why not just get a Blue?

The Black is just a longer warranty.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Don't listen to the guy that said that they all fail at the same time, This is completely not true. The seagate ones are the worst. They have like a 15% chance of failure compared to like a 2% on a WD Red. Im pretty sure reds are for nas system though. Black are for performance and design stuff. I Reckon go with Blues. They are reliable and Great overall HDD's

Don't worry all HDD's die at around the same time so you will be happy with both, just get whats cheaper 

ALL HDDs?

So I guess the drives that I had, which died at 4-5 years old, were flukes because of that one Hitachi drive that went on for 9 years or vice versa...

OT:

Personally, I'd go for something from WD, a Toshiba DT drive (HGST rebrands) or a HGST drive if you can pick one up for a similar price.