AdBlock are buying ads

Mac

I think you mean "So ur hurting my buddies linus and slick gtfo"

I am only one person and I will not watch adverts if I have the chance.

I'm happy to like and comment on videos and be semi-active on this forum, but I will not be guilt-tripped and forced into watching boring adverts by peer pressure.

You don't have to watch them! You just press skip ad. Once it's loaded a little bit, it's done, you've got them their money 

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

That's all well and good until you've watch 2 or 3 videos and suddenly your greeted by a 1 minute ad that can't be skipped. Why don't they just put a trollface in the place of the skip button.

It's usually an ad for something crappy as well, like tomb raider or something

That's all well and good until you've watch 2 or 3 videos and suddenly your greeted by a 1 minute ad that can't be skipped. Why don't they just put a trollface in the place of the skip button.

It's usually an ad for something crappy as well, like tomb raider or something

I use spotify and it doesn't annoy me at all. It is just like radio, and in the case of YouTube, like TV... That's just me though...

This will kill the commercial side of the internet. Youtubers like Linus will die off. I use adblocker but I have it disabled on Youtube, Here and a few other places like twitch and so on.

If ads were gone from the internet we would be in for very bleak content

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

i enable non intrusive Ads

ad block by default enables non intrusive Ads

if i like a website a lot i enable all the ads

but if that website has a lot of annoying ads i block them and if i can donate

I do the same, i think this is the best way to use Adblock.

I started using AdBlock the moment Youtube started prerolling ads. What, filling the page with meaningless images wasn't enough? You litteraly had to shove the freaking ads in my face??

I don't care about ads that aren't destracting, but everything moving or flickering or changing or being in the main veiwing area pisses me of. If ad providers play nice, I play nice. Ad providers didn't play nice, so now I just block them outright.

On the other hand, I don't like this campaign. The less people knowing about AdBlock, the better.

I dunno if this has been said or not, but AdBlock and any similar ad blocking script are only implemented on computers - desktops and laptops. Not mobile devices. There is A LOT of internet accessed by mobile devices. So I would say that there is definitely a loss of revenue, but its not like anyone/every advertiser is completely shut out when you use AdBlock. I personally use AdBlock Plus on Chrome, but I always use "Allow some non-intrusive advertising", so I sometimes see ads, but none of the worthless pop-up bull or ads that start talking to you or play videos.

sysloc

They do kind of have a point, if everyone uses adblock nobody would use ads and we'd get rid of annoying intrusive ads. The problem is this would also cause websites who were using non-intrusive ads to end up not making money from that. So as usual to solve a problem caused by a few we have to screw over everyone.

Adverts aren't the future though... Crowd funding and donating is... If you really like a website or YouTube channel then you just donate to them to support them rather than having an Ad thrown in your face regardless of if you actually want to support them or not.

Not everyone can afford that. I am subscribed to over 100 people on YouTube.I am following around 20 people on Twitch.tv. I am not willing to pay every one of them to watch them. I am completely fine with watching one 30 second ad before a video.

CPU: RYZEN 5 2600   Motherboard: MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC   Memory: CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 16GB 3200MHZ   Storage: TEAM GROUP MP33 1TB

GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW   Case: COOLER MASTER NR200P   PSU: CORSAIR SF600   Mouse: G PRO WIRELESS   Keyboard: ANNE PRO 2

Agree and disagree with this. Ads are important because they help fund the internet e.g. YouTube.... but at the same time they're pretty annoying. Also if ads were to disappear it would mean we would have to pay for a lot of things that were originally free to use... e.g. YouTube.

what are you talking about lol.. YouTube didn't have ads a little bit ago until Google took it over and Google does NOT need funding from ads on YouTube to stay 'strong'

Cant control it, let the market move on and advance from ads.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.0GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 RAM: 12GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 Storage: Samsung 120GB 840 SSD Cooling: Corsair H100 with Noctuas Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2

SpeedTest: http://www.speedtest.net/result/3243874809.png

To be honest, I'd rather pay the people the small amount of money they get from me watching adverts than to watch it.
Some ads are interesting and nice but some are just malicious scams and the ugly banners all over the websites. 

what are you talking about lol.. YouTube didn't have ads a little bit ago until Google took it over and Google does NOT need funding from ads on YouTube to stay 'strong'

You don't understand how YouTube works obviously.

The reason why YouTube has ads is not because Google wants money but its for the YouTubers to gain money from doing what it is they are doing. If their videos are moneitized their YouTube videos will be subject to ads, the money from the ads goes to the YouTubers. However if YouTube did not have these ads and YouTubers decided they wanted to moneitize their stuff they could be charging people money to view their content. Just like when you pay your subscription to Netflix etc. 

That is why YouTube has ads and by having ad block on your computer you are hurting the "free-ness" and creativity of these YouTubers because they make their living off making YouTube content. 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Wow are you freaking serious you're gunna screw a ton of people out of their money because you can't wait a few seconds for a goddamn ad? You wait 5 mins for ads on tv throughout a show.

You're then going to go ahead and advertise your product using other people's personal money that's probably more than what they would of been giving to companies by having ads displayed to fund YOUR OWN ADS.

Screw this guy and screw Adblock, I liked it but now I'm done with it. You can't have people pay for your ads when you're causing so many others to lose cash.

No I don't, LOL.

I mean on total throughout the show and between shows. That's how it is here anyways and I would imagine the same everywhere else.

I mean on total throughout the show and between shows. That's how it is here anyways and I would imagine the same everywhere else.

Nope I am in the UK so I pay TV license once a year and get all bbc tv and radio channels commerical-free. I avoid the other channels usually because they are saturated with advert crap about handbags and one direction.

The only other tv I watch is sky movies, which again i pay for, so i set a reminder and boom, no adverts during the movie.

Adverts during a movie are a disgrace.

I use adblock, but disable it on websites i know are trustworthy and don't have misleading ads.

My Build

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 ARMOUR | CPU: i7 9700k | Ram: 16gb 3200mhz Motherboard: ASUS Maximus XI Gene | Storage: 2x 1TB NVME 1x 500GB NVME 1x 120GB NVME | Case: Corsair 570X

This is so not cool. While AdBlock itself is very useful in some occasions, it shouldn't be used by everyone, everywhere - It could very well ruin a big part of the Internet, those who rely on ads, if they succeeded with this. If they continue with this campaign I will definitely drop any support I had for their plugin, and I hope others will too.

Cheers,

Linus

Nope I am in the UK so I pay TV license once a year and get all bbc tv and radio channels commerical-free. I avoid the other channels usually because they are saturated with advert crap about handbags and one direction.

The only other tv I watch is sky movies, which again i pay for, so i set a reminder and boom, no adverts during the movie.

Adverts during a movie are a disgrace.

That's fair, alteast you pay for the service.

I have some ads now AdBlock isn't blocking all ads.

Yep, me too. Getting the usual YouTube spam. I made a thread about it,  had AdBlock changed to AdBlock Plus, still happening.

"Save the cheerleader, save the world- Hiro Nakamura

The hero LinusTechTips forum deserves, but not the one it needs.

I sort of see adblock like the ads on TV...... when the ads come on, you can just change the channel.

Not everyone does this of course, just like not everyone uses adblock.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

Found Simple AdBlock, YouTube stopped giving me ads for the time being. I'll keep it see what happens. 

"Save the cheerleader, save the world- Hiro Nakamura

The hero LinusTechTips forum deserves, but not the one it needs.