AdBlock are buying ads

Mac

If everyone uses adblock then all that will happen is we will be stuck with the large channels on youtube that we have now. Subscriptions will not gain a similar or even close revenue stream to that of ads because people do not want to pay £5 a month to every channel they subscribe to. And then what you will get is the large youtubers that exist and have the viewership to do it will remain non-subscription and then they will just run their own ads in content which adblock cannot do anything about and then you will have to watch them or skip them just like you do now. I am subsrcibed to many YT channels and I have 10+ tabs constantly open on my browsers. Am I expected to donate to all of these? I don't have money for that. Adverts are a way of getting things for free. Indie game developers that release their games for free but have a small banner ad. They only get downloaded in the first place because they are free and the consumer is not losing anything to try it out. People will not donate before they like something so that means content cannot grow or exist without ads as there won't be any revenue to begin with if there are no ads.

Sure you can't skip all the ads right now but you won't skip all the ads in videos because occasionally there will be an advert for a product that you want to know more about. So really it will change nothing. It will just throttle progress and prevent new channels from growing.

I said this in another thread with a similar topic. No adverts would stop everything. Product innovation would slow down, new products would not grow and succeed. It just isn't realistic. How would you learn about a new product on the market, how would you find new things to enjoy? Adverts are necessary, yes you don't like all adverts but some are interesting and some relate to you.

The future is NOT crowd funding and donations the future is more accurately targetted adverts. Why do you think Google are pushing Google+ why does every company and website ask for all of your information? Its so they can target you with product adverts that will genuinely interest you. As algorithms become more advanced and more and more of our lives are online then the adverts will become better and more bearable. The future is targeted ads, not adblock and certainly not an advert free internet.

If everyone uses adblock then all that will happen is we will be stuck with the large channels on youtube that we have now. Subscriptions will not gain a similar or even close revenue stream to that of ads because people do not want to pay £5 a month to every channel they subscribe to. And then what you will get is the large youtubers that exist and have the viewership to do it will remain non-subscription and then they will just run their own ads in content which adblock cannot do anything about and then you will have to watch them or skip them just like you do now. I am subsrcibed to many YT channels and I have 10+ tabs constantly open on my browsers. Am I expected to donate to all of these? I don't have money for that. Adverts are a way of getting things for free. Indie game developers that release their games for free but have a small banner ad. They only get downloaded in the first place because they are free and the consumer is not losing anything to try it out. People will not donate before they like something so that means content cannot grow or exist without ads as there won't be any revenue to begin with if there are no ads.

Sure you can't skip all the ads right now but you won't skip all the ads in videos because occasionally there will be an advert for a product that you want to know more about. So really it will change nothing. It will just throttle progress and prevent new channels from growing.

I said this in another thread with a similar topic. No adverts would stop everything. Product innovation would slow down, new products would not grow and succeed. It just isn't realistic. How would you learn about a new product on the market, how would you find new things to enjoy? Adverts are necessary, yes you don't like all adverts but some are interesting and some relate to you.

The future is NOT crowd funding and donations the future is more accurately targetted adverts. Why do you think Google are pushing Google+ why does every company and website ask for all of your information? Its so they can target you with product adverts that will genuinely interest you. As algorithms become more advanced and more and more of our lives are online then the adverts will become better and more bearable. The future is targeted ads, not adblock and certainly not an advert free internet.

I prefer ads at the beginning, or featured ads that are actually in the video.

İf everyone uses adBlock the internet will go to shit it will fuck up cuz people wont improve their streams videos...etc cuz they dont get money

people dont stream or make videos cause they love to they make it for money  and money comes from ads if everyone had adBlock than we possibly wouldnt even have linus for example.

He is the hero this forum deserves but not the one it needs right now.So we'll hunt him because he can take it because he is not our hero he is a silent guardian 

a watchful protector A Dark Knight

Kind of reminds me about government propaganda but this is about some weird guys in weird camera angles smiling toooo much

i3-2120|4gb 1333|GTX 650ti 1gb|Fractal R4|Corsair 430w 

I hate AdBlock I think it is one of the dumbest things to come from the Internet. It is like going round in real life and covering over all of the CBS banners. It is dumb.

If this campaign would cover the CBS banner ads it would be totally worth every penny! Psst graffiti :P  thanks to Banksy!

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

This will kill the commercial side of the internet. Youtubers like Linus will die off. I use adblocker but I have it disabled on Youtube, Here and a few other places like twitch and so on.

If ads were gone from the internet we would be in for very bleak content

If ads were gone from the internet it would put an increasingly added value for all of society! If not the world. Just imagine a website valued only for its content, no matter if its just text, pictures or videos and there is nothing else that would keep you on that website, not one flashy shinny image or video loop for you to click on and distract you from what you were using the internet for. If you actually wanted to buy something you'd search for a product to buy not the other way around, as we have it now every nonsensical product is popping up at us for us to buy even if its irrelevant to us or not even compatible to us (males watching ads aimed at females, and vice versa).  Then time! Even 30 seconds would improve you life, those 30 seconds could be spent much wiser or even with less induced stress to be mind melted to think you needs something you don't.

AdBlock is a godsend for all of us, and yes there once was an internet sans ads! And it has only grown to what we have now so I guess it wasn't so bad was it? If it was bad it would of died off like the neighborhood bulletin boards. Every penny anyone can give them will be a game changer for us (society). Don't get all bent that Linus won't make the $10 a day from his videos, he gets more from him doing Brand based ads which he's done for a long time even if it did not give him a dime then but now since he's done them before it has given him the credentials to do them now, because you watched them.

If ads were gone from the internet it would put an increasingly added value for all of society! If not the world. Just imagine a website valued only for its content, no matter if its just text, pictures or videos and there is nothing else that would keep you on that website, not one flashy shinny image or video loop for you to click on and distract you from what you were using the internet for. If you actually wanted to buy something you'd search for a product to buy not the other way around, as we have it now every nonsensical product is popping up at us for us to buy even if its irrelevant to us or not even compatible to us (males watching ads aimed at females, and vice versa).  Then time! Even 30 seconds would improve you life, those 30 seconds could be spent much wiser or even with less induced stress to be mind melted to think you needs something you don't.

AdBlock is a godsend for all of us, and yes there once was an internet sans ads! And it has only grown to what we have now so I guess it wasn't so bad was it? If it was bad it would of died off like the neighborhood bulletin boards. Every penny anyone can give them will be a game changer for us (society). Don't get all bent that Linus won't make the $10 a day from his videos, he gets more from him doing Brand based ads which he's done for a long time even if it did not give him a dime then but now since he's done them before it has given him the credentials to do them now, because you watched them.

And how would people like Linus and Loagn survive? People like Philly D, Chris Pirillo, PewDiePie, smosh, Nerd Cubed, The guys on Machinima, The peeps on YOGSCAST, CollegeHumor, Tobuscus, SourceFed, FPSRussia and so on and so on (And thats Just Youtube!!!) how do they do what they do and keep the production value AND do it full time? Like it or not, the reason you like the internet so much, the reason places like Youtube are so entertaining, the reason THIS forum exists is because of ads. For the most part I hate them, I dont have a TV mostly because of them, but they are a necessary evil. They should be controlled, we should be able to suffer less of them and better quality ones but none the less we need them

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

a youtube ad are not that terrible

Linus talked about how annoying it was and what the % of his viewers used Ad block and as a result I respected his request and added Youtube to my Whitelist. Its not that bad, I have to hit skip and click an X all the time but hey, the people I like and watch are getting paid. If all I have to do for me to be able to look at more of Linus's content is to click a few X's its well worth it

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

And how would people like Linus and Loagn survive? People like Philly D, Chris Pirillo, PewDiePie, smosh, Nerd Cubed, The guys on Machinima, The peeps on YOGSCAST, CollegeHumor, Tobuscus, SourceFed, FPSRussia and so on and so on (And thats Just Youtube!!!) how do they do what they do and keep the production value AND do it full time? Like it or not, the reason you like the internet so much, the reason places like Youtube are so entertaining, the reason THIS forum exists is because of ads. For the most part I hate them, I dont have a TV mostly because of them, but they are a necessary evil. They should be controlled, we should be able to suffer less of them and better quality ones but none the less we need them

The same way all the TV shows do with people fast forward through commercials after DVR-ing them, by providing quality content which people pay for or which companies insert advert content in the story line or for the tech people you mention by twisting reviews they do to favor one company over another or to not compare a competing product from a company that has already paid to be reviewed. (its going on no matter what people say)

I know its shocking but you need to look past the first hurdle and see the end game.

Adblock is an interesting argument. Personally, I can't stand adverts in my face, randomly popping up on the screen or playing sound when I don't want it to. Someone used the analogy that it's like covering up all posters in real life. No it's not. If you don't want to see adverts in real life, you don't have to look at it. On a webpage , for example: Youtube, it's FORCED into your face. You can't just ignore the adverts on Youtube as you have no choice but to watch it. I don't mind the little old adverts on Youtube that pop up in the middle of the video, you can just close them if they really annoy you. But the adverts before a video just do my head in. I watch Linus' videos (pretty much religiously) and I don't mind all the ads that he puts into his videos and I understand why he does it, but I don't want to be watching Google's adverts before Linus' adverts before being able to watch a video.

The reason I use the internet and not TV to watch things, is because I HATE ADVERTS. I don't want to wait 5 minutes between shows or every 10 minutes in an hour long show (or should I say, 40 minute show with 20 minutes of adverts). I want to just watch what I want, when I want, how I want. Adverts don't come into there anywhere.

EDIT: That all being said, I don't think Adblock should really be doing this. Seems a little... Hypocritical.

The same way all the TV shows do with people fast forward through commercials after DVR-ing them, by providing quality content which people pay for or which companies insert advert content in the story line or for the tech people you mention by twisting reviews they do to favor one company over another or to not compare a competing product from a company that has already paid to be reviewed. (its going on no matter what people say)

I know its shocking but you need to look past the first hurdle and see the end game.

You did not answer my question at all. Probably my fault cause I was not specific enough. 

How do small youtubers and websites, who's people dedicate them selves full time to the content, financially survive without paid ads? Without pre-rolls and banner ads how do they make their money? How do they get popular, and get to the point financially where they are independent? 

I really want to know how you think this would work, paint me a picture of a youtuber like Linus making it in this ad-blocked world

The reason I use the internet and not TV to watch things, is because I HATE ADVERTS. I don't want to wait 5 minutes between shows or every 10 minutes in an hour long show (or should I say, 40 minute show with 20 minutes of adverts). I want to just watch what I want, when I want, how I want. Adverts don't come into there anywhere.
That all being said, I don't think Adblock should really be doing this. Seems a little... Hypocritical.

Personally I feel the same way. One of the main reasons there is no TV in my house is the fact that if I am watching TV I spend 15 mins or more out of every hour watching adverts, its frustrating. 

I really want to know how you think this would work, paint me a picture of a youtuber like Linus making it in this ad-blocked world

Linus himself. He started out small, gets recognised by companies, puts ads in his videos, starts doing paid commercials and product placement. All of that is not within reach of AdBlock's powers...

Linus himself. He started out small, gets recognised by companies, puts ads in his videos, starts doing paid commercials and product placement. All of that is not within reach of AdBlock's powers...

lol You say "gets recognized by companies" like it's a common and easy thing to happen... The whole thing about ads on youtube videos is that it's an easy way to get an income off your videos, that of course, if you make decent content and people watch it. It would be a lot less accessible to the common youtuber if you make it so companies deal with youtubers directly. I kinda like the Google's approach since it provides ads to every youtuber if he/she wants to. I can't imagine Linus living off of is pre-roll ads on his videos only... 

I've used adblock for a little time and removed it again because the internet is basically running on ads :L

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3

First off Linus has only started putting ads at the start of his vids this year, if I am correct its going on less than 6 months (well at least consistently, there might have been the odd one here and there before) and the commercials are running about the same, less than a year anyways. And how did Linus get "noticed"? Because of the amount of viewers on his vids and WAN Show (formally ... long ass name) and that is due to the quality of his content and production value. But how was all that possible? Because he was able to make money from it and slowly move off his employment with NCIX and the ONLY was that was possible is due to the ads. 

Like it or not, Linus, Slick, Dezel and B-Roll would not be here if it were not for ads on Youtube. Neither would this discussion or the forum

I've used adblock for a little time and removed it again because the internet is basically running on ads :L

I added it and then white-listed a load of places. But websites that I normally dont use or ones where the ads would turn you blind stay gone. 

You did not answer my question at all. Probably my fault cause I was not specific enough. 

How do small youtubers and websites, who's people dedicate them selves full time to the content, financially survive without paid ads? Without pre-rolls and banner ads how do they make their money? How do they get popular, and get to the point financially where they are independent? 

They will make it/money the same way any newbie to any media does, they will do it for free or pennies on the dollar and the drive to make it. Don't believe it? Well ask the average reporter, actor, director, cameraman, radio DJ, etc. they all take jobs in the beginning for basically free or food or to cover costs and that's pretty much it. The ones that have the drive and determination make it, those that don't well don't, that it is why all families worry about their offspring that want to go into media/entertainment, its a cut throat profession, well they all are, but with no B option, they end up on skid row.

Its life man, its not like we're hating on Linus and company, but they do need to prep for any downtime in gigs, which is what they are doing even if they call it something else.

As a fellow forum member, we watch Linus's videos and increase his hit count and some of us try to add constructive criticism to his videos and not just silly comments as if he reads he may just improve his videos and get some company/channel to pick him up.

I use adblock on most websites but have unblocked those that do ads well. I have been on some websites where an add would completely cover up areas on a webpage making the entire webpage unusable. I have unblocked this forum by the way. I think Adblock is a really good tool.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

They will make it/money the same way any newbie to any media does, they will do it for free or pennies on the dollar and the drive to make it. Don't believe it? Well ask the average reporter, actor, director, cameraman, radio DJ, etc. they all take jobs in the beginning for basically free or food or to cover costs and that's pretty much it. The ones that have the drive and determination make it, those that don't well don't, that it is why all families worry about their offspring that want to go into media/entertainment, its a cut throat profession, well they all are, but with no B option, they end up on skid row.

Its life man, its not like we're hating on Linus and company, but they do need to prep for any downtime in gigs, which is what they are doing even if they call it something else.

As a fellow forum member, we watch Linus's videos and increase his hit count and some of us try to add constructive criticism to his videos and not just silly comments as if he reads he may just improve his videos and get some company/channel to pick him up.

As a photographer and someone who is involved from time to time in the Film industry with many friends within the Film industry I can tell you that while you are correct yes that is the way it works for people who do not produce any content for youtube or similar sites. However, you ask any of them what would they prefer? They will all, barring the odd person, tell you that being able to have the freedom to create content and receive payments from ad revenue is a much better system to the current one (large corps dictating who and what gets made based off the lowest common denominator of entertainment and the urge to make as much cash as possible from projects). The ability to create your own content and make small profits from that means that more content is out there, means that there are more opportunities for more people which means that in time we consume better and free content (well with the minor inconvenience of the odd advert here and there)

I for one prefer indi content 99% of the time tbh

As a photographer and someone who is involved from time to time in the Film industry with many friends within the Film industry I can tell you that while you are correct yes that is the way it works for people who do not produce any content for youtube or similar sites. However, you ask any of them what would they prefer? They will all, barring the odd person, tell you that being able to have the freedom to create content and receive payments from ad revenue is a much better system to the current one (large corps dictating who and what gets made based off the lowest common denominator of entertainment and the urge to make as much cash as possible from projects). The ability to create your own content and make small profits from that means that more content is out there, means that there are more opportunities for more people which means that in time we consume better and free content (well with the minor inconvenience of the odd advert here and there)

I for one prefer indi content 99% of the time tbh

Content will always be out there, sure it takes some major effort to get a big company to back a very odd indi but it happens and with things like the internet many and very many indi content is out there and not all on YouTube or your major brand website. It takes some effort to find that indi content but its well worth it, and not all indi content will make it but if you find what you want you can at least view it while they still make it. I do feel YouTube ends up letting content that should die off live on for too long, giving false hope to those who turned the wrong way.

Crowd funding is the modern way, but with Linus basically working on the edge of reviewing actual commercial companies the line gets rather jumbled up and he would have to work any such funding rather precisely and legally. Which boils down to Linus having to hit the big companies as he's doing now for support as it benefits both and is a good symbiotic relationship. Maybe he can do a funding scenario where a backer for $XXX gets to pick the review that gets done for NN minutes?

To add, it will take backing from those who like the content to support the indi content, I pay for my TV shows now and watch sans commercials, its worth every penny. Sure I could download them but this way I always have the show content at my disposal and once again watch commercial free.

Edited by IdeaStormer

I'm sorry about this, while you may take offence, its genuinely not intended to do so but the more I read your posts the more I think you dont really know what you are talking about. There is a cruital aspect here you are missing mate

Content will always be out there, sure it takes some major effort to get a big company to back a very odd indi but it happens and with things like the internet many and very many indi content is out there and not all on YouTube or your major brand website. It takes some effort to find that indi content but its well worth it, and not all indi content will make it but if you find what you want you can at least view it while they still make it. I do feel YouTube ends up letting content that should die off live on for too long, giving false hope to those who turned the wrong way.

That thing you said "with things like the internet many and very many indi content is out there and not all on YouTube or your major brand website" 99.9% of that is due to ad revenue. Firstly those people who create the content part-time or in their free time could not upload it any where without a website that can afford the storage, backup systems, admin, building and office rental, staff, taxes, website design, domain costs, etc etc etc without ads and people who do it Part-time or full-time could not do so without ads

Crowd funding is the modern way, but with Linus basically working on the edge of reviewing actual commercial companies the line gets rather jumbled up and he would have to work any such funding rather precisely and legally. Which boils down to Linus having to hit the big companies as he's doing now for support as it benefits both and is a good symbiotic relationship. Maybe he can do a funding scenario where a backer for $XXX gets to pick the review that gets done for NN minutes?

Are you telling me that if I croudfunded buying a PC testbench and x thousands in hardware so I could review hardware and do benchmarks you would fund my project? I very much doubt it, and at one stage Linus was unknown so him trying to croundfund back then would be the same as me trying it now

I'm sorry about this, while you may take offence, its genuinely not intended to do so but the more I read your posts the more I think you dont really know what you are talking about. There is a cruital aspect here you are missing mate

That thing you said "with things like the internet many and very many indi content is out there and not all on YouTube or your major brand website" 99.9% of that is due to ad revenue. Firstly those people who create the content part-time or in their free time could not upload it any where without a website that can afford the storage, backup systems, admin, building and office rental, staff, taxes, website design, domain costs, etc etc etc without ads and people who do it Part-time or full-time could not do so without ads

Are you telling me that if I croudfunded buying a PC testbench and x thousands in hardware so I could review hardware and do benchmarks you would fund my project? I very much doubt it, and at one stage Linus was unknown so him trying to croundfund back then would be the same as me trying it now

Well from what I am reading your use of the internet is very limited, there are hosting companies pretty much hosting sites for free now, look around (not talking about YouTube, Google). The internet is as diverse as the world not everything boils down to YouTube and ad Revenue. Again, there are websites out there that are not doing the YouTube model and actually providing content, if you have not run into them then your version of indi is only YouTube indi or mass appeal indi, which in itself makes it non-indi. I know many content providers who post content for their own enjoyment and nothing else, expecting not one red cent from it. Sometimes it works out for a job, gig, etc. but many times nothing.

Just look at street performers, they do it pretty much to make it, the street does not give them money even if there are ads or if they bring traffic to the local store within the vicinity do they? Well maybe if the store was smart and the street performer was decent and didn't offend the crowd. Sure they have their tin cup or hat to collect donations/tips but no one is forced to watch or pay, yet some of those street performers are now multimillionaires, no one second did they spend on YouTube or major ad revenue website. They were good and did their time and now are major names in entertainment.