Intel Broadwell-E Specifications Leaked – Core i7-6950X Flagship Processor To Rock 10 Cores and 20 Threads (only for 999 dollars)

Mr_Troll

The thing about the mainstream is the software needing such core counts IS NOT MAINSTREAM! It's enthusiast stuff, so Intel will address it with enthusiast products at a price premium.

Think you'll snatch up Broadwell-E or continue on waiting for Zen and Skylake-E?  I was going to snag Haswell-E, but if the 2011-v3 motherboard line is updated along with the release.. may as well get that 6900k.  

Think you'll snatch up Broadwell-E or continue on waiting for Zen and Skylake-E? I was going to snag Haswell-E, but if the 2011-v3 motherboard line is updated along with the release.. may as well get that 6900k.

I'm waiting for Zen and/or Cannonlake.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Oh so you aren't as biased as I thought...I also recall you saying you'll even consider Arctic Islands instead of just jumping blindly onto Pascal?

Of course. I buy the best there is. Whoever has the crown gets my money.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

How much do you drop on GPUs? 980 Ti level or Titan X?

My home workstation has a pair of water cooled Titan Blacks. My school build uses my old GTX 570. When I'm out of college and again need the sort of big iron power I currently have at home, I'll drop another 2 grand give or take.

My home workstation has a pair of water cooled Titan Blacks. y school build uses my old GTX 570. When I'm out of college and again need the sort of big iron power I currently have at home, I'll drop another 2 grand give or take.

Ah...a lot more than I can...

I think my Q6600 is proud of it's great great great grand children (I think that is right)

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

I wonder if they will up the memory support to 128GB. It's a bit weird right now that there are quite a few X99 motherboards targeted at enthusiast gamers (so they probably won't be used with Xeons that much) that can handle 128GB and at the same time, even the 5960X only supports up to 64GB.

I wonder if they will up the memory support to 128GB. It's a bit weird right now that there are quite a few X99 motherboards targeted at enthusiast gamers (so they probably won't be used with Xeons that much) that can handle 128GB and at the same time, even the 5960X only supports up to 64GB.

That's not true. The 5960X supports up to 128 right out of the box. http://www.pcworld.com/article/2938855/hardcore-hardware-we-stuffed-this-pc-with-128gb-of-cutting-edge-ddr4-ram.html

That's a build with a 5820K that uses 128GB of RAM.

And now you can even get 32GB sticks for up to 256GB of RAM from Kingston if you're so inclined, though for that you will need an E5 2600 V3 Xeon and a C-Series chipset board.

That's not true. The 5960X supports up to 128 right out of the box. http://www.pcworld.com/article/2938855/hardcore-hardware-we-stuffed-this-pc-with-128gb-of-cutting-edge-ddr4-ram.html

From Intel:

http://ark.intel.com/m/products/82930/Intel-Core-i7-5960X-Processor-Extreme-Edition-20M-Cache-up-to-3_50-GHz

It only supports up to 64GB.

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

Sorry but their documentation is wrong, and there's a video inside the link I posted that proves it. All 128GB in usage are plainly visible in a benchmark, including a 100GB RAM Drive.

@MageTank

@don_svetlio

@LAwLz

Sorry but their documentation is wrong, and there's a video inside the link I posted that proves it. All 128GB in usage are plainly visible in a benchmark, including a 100GB RAM Drive.

@MageTank

@don_svetlio

@LAwLz

Patrick saying Intel is wrong? Never thought I'd see the day. :P

Sorry I didn't see the video, I'm on crappy slow Internet and it didn't load, I thought it was just an article.

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

That's not true. The 5960X supports up to 128 right out of the box. http://www.pcworld.com/article/2938855/hardcore-hardware-we-stuffed-this-pc-with-128gb-of-cutting-edge-ddr4-ram.html

And now you can even get 32GB sticks for up to 256GB of RAM from Kingston if you're so inclined, though for that you will need an E5 2600 V3 Xeon and a C-Series chipset board.

It's hardly "right of the box" if you have to install a beta bios first. I meant officially supported, the spec sheet says 64GB.

So far, it seems only Asus managed to enable support on some motherboards, but there is no official statement from Intel, nor reports from people who did this on motherboards from another manufacturer.

Patrick saying Intel is wrong? Never thought I'd see the day. :P

Sorry I didn't see the video, I'm on crappy slow Internet and it didn't load, I thought it was just an article.

Whoever is wrong, is wrong. It can be Intel, Samsung, Gabe Newell, John Carmack, God himself. If you're wrong, you are wrong. Intel isn't above reality. Inevitably even it will make a mistake or two. It's a tiny clerical error to be fair.

It's hardly "right of the box" if you have to install a beta bios first. I meant officially supported, the spec sheet says 64GB.

So far, it seems only Asus managed to enable support on some motherboards, but there is no official statement from Intel, nor reports from people who did this on motherboards from another manufacturer.

It's not a beta bios anymore. It only was at the time (you know, fresh to market products and all that).

Actually Asrock and others have pulled it off too, and there are several X99 motherboards with 128GB RAM support right out of the bock. The MSI Godlike Gaming being one that comes to mind. And before you think of saying it depends on a Xeon, it doesn't, because we have non-ECC RAM sticks that are 16GB and Xeons hate it when you pair them with non-ECC RAM, especially when it's above standard speeds.

-Snippity snip-

So, at what time do you think the non-Xeon Broadwell-E chips will launch?

I checked the pricing on the 6950X....

If you're the kind of person who even contemplated buying a 5930K instead of a 5960X, you're not going to be able to afford a 6950X.

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

So, at what time do you think the non-Xeon Broadwell-E chips will launch?

Late Q1 to early-mid Q2, March-May timeframe to be in cadence with the launch of Pascal and Arctic Islands and ride the enthusiast wave that'll come with it.

I checked the pricing on the 6950X....

If you're the kind of person who even contemplated buying a 5930K instead of a 5960X, you're not going to be able to afford a 6950X.

That's not completely true, I contemplate all the time with components for builds I do, and I myself personally can afford all the highest end components but don't always need too. For an example I bought 2 970's for my latest project, then ek never came out with a block for them so I bought 2 980ti's. I bought the 970's because I'm not much of a gamer but more of a custom modder/builder and wanted to get the project done a little faster. Contemplating does not always mean " you can not afford the highest end products" but what ever might suit your needs best.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

@MageTank

@don_svetlio

@LAwLz

Why'd you link me? I don't own an X99 setup. However, i am educated in this subject. How you randomly knew that is scary. Any who, here is what you need to defend your claim.

ram3-100592804-orig.png

Intel's specifications are never 100% accurate. They also still dictate max memory bandwidth way lower than what one can actually achieve. 

Lets look at my new Pentium for example: http://ark.intel.com/products/88179/Intel-Pentium-Processor-G4400-3M-Cache-3_30-GHz

Max Memory Bandwidth: 34.1GB/s. Let's disprove that, shall we?

rK8qNpx.png

As you can see. Those specs are accurate only when you operate within the rules of Intel's spreadsheets. We all know we won't just use 2133mhz DDR4. No. We can, and will push 3000mhz+ simply because we can, and there are no consequences for doing so. 128gb of ram is possible. It's been done. It will continue to be done too. With LRDRR4, i bet one could probably push even higher, assuming it worked without issues. 

Be warned however. 128gb of memory will be nearly impossible to overclock. Dealing with larger density sticks like that is just asking for trouble when trying to overclock. Why do you think the only 4266mhz kits we have, are 4gb sticks? If people NEED the extra capacity and can stomach the loss in speed, then i say let them. However, i would much rather have 32/64GB of faster memory, if i did not need that capacity. Then again, Primocache. Can never have too much memory. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Why'd you link me? I don't own an X99 setup. However, i am educated in this subject. How you randomly knew that is scary. Any who, here is what you need to defend your claim.

Intel's specifications are never 100% accurate. They also still dictate max memory bandwidth way lower than what one can actually achieve. 

Lets look at my new Pentium for example: http://ark.intel.com/products/88179/Intel-Pentium-Processor-G4400-3M-Cache-3_30-GHz

Max Memory Bandwidth: 34.1GB/s. Let's disprove that, shall we?

As you can see. Those specs are accurate only when you operate within the rules of Intel's spreadsheets. We all know we won't just use 2133mhz DDR4. No. We can, and will push 3000mhz+ simply because we can, and there are no consequences for doing so. 128gb of ram is possible. It's been done. It will continue to be done too. With LRDRR4, i bet one could probably push even higher, assuming it worked without issues. 

Be warned however. 128gb of memory will be nearly impossible to overclock. Dealing with larger density sticks like that is just asking for trouble when trying to overclock. Why do you think the only 4266mhz kits we have, are 4gb sticks? If people NEED the extra capacity and can stomach the loss in speed, then i say let them. However, i would much rather have 32/64GB of faster memory, if i did not need that capacity. Then again, Primocache. Can never have too much memory. 

I research all my adversaries' expertises. There's very little that's random about me.

We have 2800MHz 16GB sticks rated for 8x16 usage: https://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f42800c15q2128grkd

Just as well, 3200 MHz 4x16GB: https://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f43200c16q64gvk

And G.Skill announced 32GB non-ECC 2400+MHz sticks are in the works a couple weeks back, for all that 256GB of RAM fun...

I hope whatever comes after X99 has a 5820k equivalent with 8 cores. I'll be a very happy renderer :)

I hope whatever comes after X99 has a 5820k equivalent with 8 cores. I'll be a very happy renderer :)

That has almost no chance of happening, especially if Skylake-E moves up to AVX-512, though frankly that should redouble your rendering potency anyway assuming you don't have a bandwidth bottleneck.

Edit: with AVX 512 I can actually do real-time ray tracing with 4 cores up to 4 bounces. Come on Intel & AMD!!!