Windows 7 vs Windows 8 for new build

skwananbe

I'd probably say Windows 8 mainly because Windows 7 will lose official support from Microsoft in 2014...having said that i'd still prefer Windows 7. Windows 8 is alright though for my uses, i've installed classic start so using windows 8 isn't a hassle. Just for those who  say Windows 8.1 is bringing back the start menu, its not. Its only bringing back the start button. This button will only function as a button to open the new Metro UI "start" menu and doesn't actually bring back the older style of start menu.

Blue Nebula = CPU: Intel i7 4770K @Stock || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 || RAM: 16GB 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance LP || GPU: EVGA GTX 780Ti Superclocked @Stock || Mobo: Asus ROG Maximus VI Hero || SSD: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro || HDD: 4x2TB WD Black in Raid10 || PSU: Corsair AX1200i || Case: Coolermaster HAF 932 Advanced || Keyboard: Corsair K70 (MX Blues) || Mouse: Corsair M95 || Mousepad: Razer Goliathus 2013 Extended Speed || Monitors: Eizo Foris FS2333 + Old Samsung monitor || Headset: Beyerdynamic MMX2 || =>My Youtube Gaming Channel<= || =>My Twitch.tv Channel<=

I think there are lots of people that all out blatantly 'follow the crowd', when it comes to this OS poll. Windows 8 is a better OS. There is no doubt about it. Program compatibility is very similar, and regardless of whether Notch said screw Win 8 or not, it's being developed on, and things work better on it. Those are the facts. The rest is just preference, people don't like having modern/metro UI shoved down their throats, neither do I, but when a free program 'classic start' or a very well made cheap program 'startisback' can restore everything you have lost, how is it not a win-win situation?? You get a better OS, and the same interface. Sticking with 7 i think is very ignorant at this point, Windows 8 and it's programs have matured past the initial stages, and it's soon to be due a new version of directX. 

tl;dr: Get Windows 8.

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3200Mhz GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080ti MoBo: MSI Z170 Krait Gaming 3X Cooler: NZXT Kraken X52 Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D HDD/SSD: (Boot) Intel 750 Series 400GB, (Games) Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, (Data) Samsung 850 EVO 500GB PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 750W Keyboard: CM Masterkeys Pro L w/ Cherry MX Blues Mouse: Logitech G900 Monitor: Acer X34 Predator @ 100hz

Phone(s): Samsung Galaxy S8+

I'd probably say Windows 8 mainly because Windows 7 will lose official support from Microsoft in 2014...having said that i'd still prefer Windows 7. Windows 8 is alright though for my uses, i've installed classic start so using windows 8 isn't a hassle. Just for those who say Windows 8.1 is bringing back the start menu, its not. Its only bringing back the start button. This button will only function as a button to open the new Metro UI "start" menu and doesn't actually bring back the older style of start menu.

It will loose support for consumer editions in 2015 (January). And in 2020 for business editions.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Windows 8 - Making a poll was a good idea XD Everyone has different opinions on this subject... :)

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

Windows 7 for now, 8 maybe after few months from now when 8.1 has been released and ironed out.

I use bot OS's win 7 in desktop and win 8 in laptop.  I just find the U.I. in win 8 a bit of a hassle at times I'll only use it in destop mode.  I guess I'll be fine with 8 when they bring the start button back.      

for a new build you have to use windows 7 anyway right if you want to install a retail copy.. or right?  I remeber building a computer a little while ago and found out there is no such thing as a retail copy of windows 8.  so either way have to install windows 7 first or have a windows 7 product key..  or somebody clarify If thats incorrect. 

WIndows 8 because the massive under the hood improvements and 8.1 just around the corner, people saying Windows 7 are just afraid of change and the Metro UI.

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

It will loose support for consumer editions in 2015 (January). And in 2020 for business editions.

Ah ok thanks for correcting me :)

Blue Nebula = CPU: Intel i7 4770K @Stock || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 || RAM: 16GB 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance LP || GPU: EVGA GTX 780Ti Superclocked @Stock || Mobo: Asus ROG Maximus VI Hero || SSD: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro || HDD: 4x2TB WD Black in Raid10 || PSU: Corsair AX1200i || Case: Coolermaster HAF 932 Advanced || Keyboard: Corsair K70 (MX Blues) || Mouse: Corsair M95 || Mousepad: Razer Goliathus 2013 Extended Speed || Monitors: Eizo Foris FS2333 + Old Samsung monitor || Headset: Beyerdynamic MMX2 || =>My Youtube Gaming Channel<= || =>My Twitch.tv Channel<=

For now... go with windows 7 IF U ARE A GAMER.. I tried to play cs:s, killing floor etc it was laggy as hell cuz of compability issues.

Gaming Computer | Case: CM Storm Scout II | MB: Asus P8Z77-V LK | CPU: i5 2320@3,6ghz | GFX:  MSI GTX 770 Gaming | RAM: 8gb DDR3 @ 1333mhz | Storage: 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Monitor: 1x Asus VG248QE @ 144Hz , 1x Samsung SyncMaster SA300 @ 77hz OC'd 

Other Device's | Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE@OmniROM | Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1@OmniROM | Laptop: Lenovo ThinkPad T61 Win 8.1

You should do yourself a favor and just get Windows 8. Why ever buy old software? Windows 8 is faster and has a lot of cool features and once you get used to it you will be really pleased that you tried something new.

Windows 8.1 is coming this October (I believe) and it will let you use Windows 8 like you would Windows 7, which means that the start button will open a list of programs instead of the Modern UI if you wish. That's just one improvement Windows 8.1 will bring you.

This article is quite a long read, but if you are interested it throughly explains why the Modern UI is superior to the interface experience you get in Windows 7. People are hating on it because it's new and different. People tend to dislike change, even if it turns out to be for the better.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/10/11/reflecting-on-your-comments-on-the-start-screen.aspx

Or you could just change your settings once 8.1 releases. That's the cool thing, you can do either and it's completely up to you!  :)

Fact is that 8 is faster and more efficient (particularly with RAM), it may have compatibility issues/glitches with a small majority of programs (only has happened to me with one game so far) and IMO it's new UI as a whole not just Metro is just easier to navigate once you get the feel for it. Maybe watching an in depth video on 8 will help you decide? Regardless they're both great Operating Systems so your experience with either should be good, simply think of 8 as a visual/efficiency upgrade for 7 as in terms of user experience not much else has changed.

Case: ThermalTake Level 10 GT, Motherboard: Asrock X79 Extreme9, CPU: i7 3930K @ 4.4Ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D14, RAM: 4x4GB 2133Mhz Corsair Dominator, GPU: Asus GTX 670 Direct CUII 2GB @ 1228Mhz max boost clock, PSU: ThermalTake Toughpower XT 875W, Drives: Western Digital RE4 1TB HDD (System), Corsair Accelerator 60GB Cache Drive (Smart Response Technology), Seagate Barracuda 1TB (Backup)

Why install a older OS on a brand new piece of hardware, especially when there are some great improvements in Win8 that any enthusiast or power user can appreciate.

For those of you saying win7 please reference actual use cases where its better than 8 that arnt BS because I dont believe that half of you have even used it. I also dont get how people are like it doesnt have the start menu so I wont use it. The start menu is NOT windows, get over it.

This is basically vista all over again where the wrong idea is proliferating through the general public for one reason or another.

Windows 8. It's simply better and if you really can't get used to the new interface then it takes 5 minutes to get rid of it.

Quite honestly I really like the new metro interface and wouldn't go back to the start menu.

Windows 8! It is faster, and all around better! Just get classic start, and you will be fine.

CPU: RYZEN 5 2600   Motherboard: MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC   Memory: CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 16GB 3200MHZ   Storage: TEAM GROUP MP33 1TB

GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW   Case: COOLER MASTER NR200P   PSU: CORSAIR SF600   Mouse: G PRO WIRELESS   Keyboard: ANNE PRO 2

Been running Windows 8 for a few months now.

It's a lot faster than Windows 7, and if you are annoyed by some features [like the charmsbar for me] there's plenty of possibilities to make it fit your taste.

I have not encountered any problems with games or anything. And the window layout looks so much better than Win7 ^^

Personally I'd tell you to go with Win8, better OS overall.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Woo I made it 50/50 xD w7 master race.

Honestly it's up to you. I have 7 on my main rig and lan pc and 8 on my laptop.

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4690k @4.2Ghz w/ Corsair H100i GTX | Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB | GPU: Palit 1080Ti | Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PSU: Seasonic G750 80+ Gold | Storage: Samsung 840 250GB, Sandisk Ultra II 960gb, WD Green 4TB, Samsung EcoGreen 2TB

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4670k @4 Ghz w/ Corsair H80i | Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Impact | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 8GB | GPU: Palit 1080Ti

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy | PSU: Corsair CXM 600W PSU 80+ Bronze | Storage: Corsair Force GS 240GB SSD

I installed Win8 when i got my new SSD and i totally regret it. 

I am trying to get used to it since about 3 months, but Windows7 is still way easier to use for me. 

The worst thing are the metro apps, 90% of them don't work properly. For example Skype, i don't get notification sounds or anything when i get a message, at least you can use the desktop version now (didn't work on Win8 before) 

And it does not feel faster at all to me... 

If you are afraid of change or simple don't want to learn anything new -> Windows 7 for the rest of your life

If you are willing to pass about 1 month learning something new, and getting used to the new user interface -> Windows 8, and enjoy further polish every future version of Windows, much like the Start Menu back in Windows 95.

I have Windows 8, and I love it. I prefer Windows 8.1, as things are more improved. I can't wait for the official release of Windows 8.1. Right now it's on beta.

But yes, Windows 8, once you pass the learning curve, and start pinning your desktop programs, and folders to teh Start Screen, and around the layout in an organized way, its a joy to use.

Example of layout:

http://www.helpweaver.com/dss.png

Windows 7 for me, tried 8 and I hated it, Metro UI is horrible.

I ended up just using the normal screen with icon shortcuts like windows 7 most of the time.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

I have been running Windows 8 since it came out, and I love it. I haven't had a single compatibility issue except for fallout crashing, but it crashed even when I ran Windows 7.

If I had access to a legitimate copy of Windows 7 Ultimate I may install that on my LAN build, but as it stands Windows 8 is just fine.

I'm not an audiophile, I'm just really picky about my music... and my headphones... and my speakers... and my microphone. Other than that, I'm totally not an audiophile.

7 for now. To me personally, usuablity is everything. I used a friends PC with windows 8 on it and after about 2 hours with it I was ready to walk away and never touch it again. Until they give us the option to have the old UI without having to download 3rd party software I won't be touching windows 8 ever again. Hopefully they'll come to there senses in windows 9.

Yes a lot of people have been stating 8 is faster then 7. But once you got an SSD Its more then fast enough.

CPU: 3570K @ 4.3Ghz MOBO: ASUS P8z77-v Deluxe RAM: 2-4GB Gskill GPU: EVGA 670 FTW SSD: Vertex 4 256 Case: CM HAF 932

My vote is on 8.

I'm one if those "weird" people that enjoys it more than 7. It's faster, has a ton of improvements under the hood and excellent UI tweaks (Metro is debatable, but the file copy UI, the task manager, Aero refinements etc. are imho a large improvement).

I was very sceptical and never got a liking for the betas and previews, but after snatching the full version at less than $20, I really loved it. I did use classic start for quite a while but found myself catching a liking for Metro.

The only thing I'm not too keen on is the fullscreen apps, but those are nothing you are forced to use.

what aero enhancements, theres no aero, metro is useless to desktop users how many people do you see with desktop pc's with a touchscreen. not many, and whats with the no start menu WTF remove something that makes windows, yeah cause thats clever. so great my desktop looks cluttered and all childish, im 21 FFS,

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

what aero enhancements, theres no aero, metro is useless to desktop users how many people do you see with desktop pc's with a touchscreen. not many, and whats with the no start menu WTF remove something that makes windows, yeah cause thats clever. so great my desktop looks cluttered and all childish, im 21 FFS,

Well then, what used to be called Aero. As in the interface used in the desktop view. I like how it's more flat and rectangular as opposed to having rounded corners and the 3D-ish translucency.

Metro works just fine for me. I'm using triple monitors and none of them are touch screen. I use it the same way I used the start menu in 7 - as a program launcher and search bar - which essentially means I spend usually no more than 1-2 seconds in there before I'm back to the desktop. It is the start menu, just now it's full screen.

Cluttered and childish? I honestly think 7 felt more cluttered than 8 does. I took my time to set it up to my liking, Putting my most used things in the taskbar and other shortcuts I like on the start screen which leaves my desktop much less cluttered. The more flat lines and less 3D-effects in the overall UI make for a more sleek look that isn't too distracting.

------------------------ Liquidfox R3 ------------------------

Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact – Corsair AX860i – Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero – AMD Ryzen 7 5900X – Nvidia GTX1070 Founders