Windows 7 vs Windows 8 for new build

skwananbe

Windows 8!

The new UI isn't bad even on a conventional system, but with the changes that were implemented in 8.1 it's much better: the changes to the start screen do a lot to lessen the impact that one has in the current version of switching from the desktop to the modern environment, plus there will be the possibility to directly boot to desktop and deactivate the charms altogether, if one is so inclined.

Add to this the already-mentioned improvements that took place under the hood.

what aero enhancements, theres no aero, metro is useless to desktop users how many people do you see with desktop pc's with a touchscreen. not many, and whats with the no start menu WTF remove something that makes windows, yeah cause thats clever. so great my desktop looks cluttered and all childish, im 21 FFS,

I don't have a touch screen and I find metro more useful than the start button. I can fit about 60 big tiles in my metro interface in a very organized manner and even colour code them. I can open any program installed in my computer in 3 seconds instead of having to go through the start menu and looking for it. And those that I didn't put there as well as even the most remote of windows settings can be found in 5 seconds as long as I know the name just by pressing windows+F. Windows 8 looks anything but cluttered, I have no single icon on my deskptop or pinned to my taskbar, which was necessary in w7, as well as having a colour coded index which gives my desktop a pretty nice look.

If you're 21 then you should know when to move on. I know it's hard to accept change but it's for the better.

Thanks to everyone commenting. Decided to go with Windows 8 for my build. Cheers

Good choice! It will a bit of challenge at first, but once you pass that learning curve, you'll like it, like many people here.

And again.. at worst of the worst, they are third party Start Menu, but I doubt you'll get one of them.

If you want an interesting documentation on how to customize the Start Screen:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/10/11/reflecting-on-your-comments-on-the-start-screen.aspx

Thanks to everyone commenting. Decided to go with Windows 8 for my build. Cheers

If you decide to use metro I do not advise you to use the metro apps as it'll feel like you have two completely interfaces. Just use the metro menu to put your programs. Also, you can change the icons and the background colour of each tile (which is grey by default) by using a program called Oblytile. It might take a bit of time but things look much nicer.

Also,

windows+Q for program search

windows+F for file search

windows+I for settings (which also has the power off button)

windows for metro interface

Put you mouse in the top or bottom right corner and a bar with these will also show up

Put your mouse in the bottom left corner and left click to switch between metro and desktop, right click shows a useful shortcut list.

I prefer windows 8 as well, if you don't like the metro screen, just install a 3rd party program to get it back. Problem solved. There are nothing other then the start menu that I miss about windows 7. the load times are better, the task manager are better, and it will have longer support. But if you are too lazy to take 2 min and install a program to get the start menu back, get win 7 :)

I installed Win8 when i got my new SSD and i totally regret it. 

I am trying to get used to it since about 3 months, but Windows7 is still way easier to use for me. 

The worst thing are the metro apps, 90% of them don't work properly. For example Skype, i don't get notification sounds or anything when i get a message, at least you can use the desktop version now (didn't work on Win8 before) 

And it does not feel faster at all to me... 

Why are you useing mobile apes on a desktop if there is a better option there for you already?

Windows 7 for me, tried 8 and I hated it, Metro UI is horrible.

I ended up just using the normal screen with icon shortcuts like windows 7 most of the time.

Is that a bad thing that you used it that way? I mean I dont know anyone who has a PC and Win8 that uses the Start Screen more than the Desktop, why would you?

7 for now. To me personally, usuablity is everything. I used a friends PC with windows 8 on it and after about 2 hours with it I was ready to walk away and never touch it again. Until they give us the option to have the old UI without having to download 3rd party software I won't be touching windows 8 ever again. Hopefully they'll come to there senses in windows 9.

Yes a lot of people have been stating 8 is faster then 7. But once you got an SSD Its more then fast enough.

Could you give me a reason why you were "ready to walk away and never touch it again" besides that there wasnt a start menu?

You should never say something is fast enough or good enough especially when and upgrade or increase is only a small amount of work or money to obtain. Also the faster thing is better worded as an increase in performance and better compatibility with the newest hardware and technology and effects things that a SSD woulnt have any barring on.

Well then, what used to be called Aero. As in the interface used in the desktop view. I like how it's more flat and rectangular as opposed to having rounded corners and the 3D-ish translucency.

Metro works just fine for me. I'm using triple monitors and none of them are touch screen. I use it the same way I used the start menu in 7 - as a program launcher and search bar - which essentially means I spend usually no more than 1-2 seconds in there before I'm back to the desktop. It is the start menu, just now it's full screen.

Cluttered and childish? I honestly think 7 felt more cluttered than 8 does. I took my time to set it up to my liking, Putting my most used things in the taskbar and other shortcuts I like on the start screen which leaves my desktop much less cluttered. The more flat lines and less 3D-effects in the overall UI make for a more sleek look that isn't too distracting.

I hated aero personally as it used the GPU for the UI increasing power consumption for no good reason and when using anything that utilized diectX or direct3D it would get diabled for better compatibility and performance.

If you decide to use metro I do not advise you to use the metro apps as it'll feel like you have two completely interfaces. Just use the metro menu to put your programs. Also, you can change the icons and the background colour of each tile (which is grey by default) by using a program called Oblytile. It might take a bit of time but things look much nicer.

Also,

windows+Q for program search

windows+F for file search

windows+I for settings (which also has the power off button)

windows for metro interface

Put you mouse in the top or bottom right corner and a bar with these will also show up

Put your mouse in the bottom left corner and left click to switch between metro and desktop, right click shows a useful shortcut list.

I can concur with not using metro apps 90%+ of the time. The only time I use them is if the program is only available in that way or does a specific thing that a I need. The biggest example I have for that is Ceton's WMC app so I can check what been recorded and the guide and what not without have to go over and physically access the HTPC. I do also have this on my android phone but when I working on my PC its easier to just check on there and it only cost a couple bucks.

The changing of sizes background color and etc will be coming with 8.1

For shutting down I recommend Win+D Alt+F4

Win+X is very usefuill alonf with the normal Win+E, Win+R, Ctrl+Shift+Esc, Ctrl+Shift+N, etc

windows 7 dude. why install a 3rd party program to get the start menu when you could just install windows 7, theres still support for it and it still supports directx 11. I to this day still use windows 7 and will never upgrade to win 8, if they force it i will just go to linux

well thats a close mind 

i like win8 and win7 but im using windows 8 now and i had no problems 

amd fx 6300  @4.4ghz @1.4/ga-970a-ud3/HD78702gb /antec 620w psu

you know what i give up, you have never complained about how windows looks untill windows 8 are you gonna say windows xp is rubbish or even windows 98 cause guess what they are all the same, just a cleaner UI.

if you wanna believe windows 8 is better then thats choice but when they release windows 9 or what ever they call it and force you to use touchscreen or other bull dont go complaining to me cause i will just laugh 

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

i personally wouldn't upgrade my win7 machine, but i have a win8 laptop and i prefer it. to be honest i think it's fairly nominal altogether..

AMD 8350 // 8 GB Corsair Ram // PNY 780 Ti // Asus 1080p Monitor // Antec 120mm AIO // CM Quickfire TK w/ Custom Caps  // RAT 5 mouse // Audio Technica m50x // Behringer 4-line + Line6 8-line Audio Interfaces

Go with Windows 8 soon windows 8.1 comes out which adds back the start button and tons of other neat features that are being added.

Also with windows 8 you get faster boot times this is especially noticeable if you don't have a ssd, better utilization of cpu cores, Smarter Memory Management which means that windows 8 is even better at predicting the programs you gonna open and its going to free up more ram if you need it.

It also has a better task manager, the search of the start menu is really neat, It has got additional security features.

The software compatibility is pretty good, every game i own runs on it perfectly. games like Gothic 2, Doom, Quake and Shadow Warrior, Morrowind, oblivion and so many more.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K 4,6GHZ OC MB: MSI Mpower z77  RAM: Kingston Genesis 1600Mhz CL9 16GB

GPU: ASUS R9 290 Direct CUII  PSU: Corsair AX 860

you know what i give up, you have never complained about how windows looks untill windows 8 are you gonna say windows xp is rubbish or even windows 98 cause guess what they are all the same, just a cleaner UI.

if you wanna believe windows 8 is better then thats choice but when they release windows 9 or what ever they call it and force you to use touchscreen or other bull dont go complaining to me cause i will just laugh 

Umm do you know how unrefined and problematic Win98 and WinXP were for the lonest time? Until SP2 many modern technologies (at the time) all had to have their own like everything because WinXP didnt know what to do with it. A great example for that is WiFi.

I really dont get what your getting on about when talking about Win9 and going to full touch but your way off the mark to say the least.

Is that a bad thing that you used it that way? I mean I dont know anyone who has a PC and Win8 that uses the Start Screen more than the Desktop, why would you?

If I am actively trying to avoid the windows 8 stuff (staying on desktop as much as possible) what is the point in using windows 8 when 7 already has everything....also all the menu's are in different places, not going to take the time to learn where things are, most things take more time to get to the same place in windows 7 while having to use the stupid new UI crap that takes up the entire screen...

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

Why are you useing mobile apes on a desktop if there is a better option there for you already?

Mobile apps?  :huh:

Were did i say that i use mobile apps on my computer?

If I am actively trying to avoid the windows 8 stuff (staying on desktop as much as possible) what is the point in using windows 8 when 7 already has everything....

I think plenty of people including myself have already gone over a number of them improvements. Win8 is not about the start screen for the desktop user for the most part. The Start Screen is about the mobile user and keeping fluidity between different devices. Windows 8 is now a ecosystem not just a Desktop OS with some offshoots. In my opinion it was a horrible call on microsofts side to market Win8 as the Start Screen basically as well as not having a bunch of the features that are getting put into 8.1 in the first place. The tried to do the same thing with the X1 but to a greater extent, its just too much change in one generation of a product.

Also if you want to argue you point of since I only using the desktop why upgrade, I dont see ant reason why you would be perfectly happy using any Windows since Windows 95.

Mobile apps?  :huh:

Were did i say that i use mobile apps on my computer?

You clearly stated "The worst thing are the metro apps, 90% of them don't work properly." Metro Apps or Start Screen Apps = Mobile/Tablet Apps with a few exceptions at best.

I hate the Metro UI in 8 because I prefer my apps shown in a vertical list instead of icons splashed all over the screen, however Win8 is the better OS under the hood in pretty much every other aspect.

Go with Windows 8 soon windows 8.1 comes out which adds back the start button

Also, to those who keep saying 8.1 adds the Start Button back, yes, they're putting a button there but all it does it bring you to the Start screen. Pressing the Windows key does the same thing. What people want is the old start menu like in previous Windows versions. All they had to do was put in an option to toggle the classic menu or screen and everybody would've been happy.

I hate the Metro UI in 8 because I prefer my apps shown in a verticle list instead of icons splashed all over the screen, however Win8 is the better OS under the hood in pretty much every other aspect.

Also, to those who keep saying 8.1 adds the Start Button back, yes, they're putting a button there but all it does it bring you to the Start screen. Pressing the Windows key does the same thing. What people want is the old start menu like in previous Windows versions.

Bring the button back it actually kind of huge maybe not for you or me or any enthusiast power user but for the average consumer. And the start meny is never coming back unless something HUGE happens.

Go with Windows 8 soon windows 8.1 comes out which adds back the start button and tons of other neat features that are being added.

Also with windows 8 you get faster boot times this is especially noticeable if you don't have a ssd, better utilization of cpu cores, Smarter Memory Management which means that windows 8 is even better at predicting the programs you gonna open and its going to free up more ram if you need it.

It also has a better task manager, the search of the start menu is really neat, It has got additional security features.

The software compatibility is pretty good, every game i own runs on it perfectly. games like Gothic 2, Doom, Quake and Shadow Warrior, Morrowind, oblivion and so many more.

there not bringing that start menu back, having tried the windows 8.1 preview all that button did was take you back to the metro screen, so great now with have two ways of doing the same f**king job arrr faith in microsoft has been fully lost

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

If I am actively trying to avoid the windows 8 stuff (staying on desktop as much as possible) what is the point in using windows 8 when 7 already has everything....also all the menu's are in different places, not going to take the time to learn where things are, most things take more time to get to the same place in windows 7 while having to use the stupid new UI crap that takes up the entire screen...

I'm sorry but you will be left behind then. Why not do yourself the favor and learn how everything works now? Eventually you'll be forced to learn how things work, but if you ignore the changes as they happen the learning curve will be that much steeper. Also, if you are using something often, pin it to the start screen. It'll take you two clicks to access it.

I hate the Metro UI in 8 because I prefer my apps shown in a vertical list instead of icons splashed all over the screen, however Win8 is the better OS under the hood in pretty much every other aspect.

Also, to those who keep saying 8.1 adds the Start Button back, yes, they're putting a button there but all it does it bring you to the Start screen. Pressing the Windows key does the same thing. What people want is the old start menu like in previous Windows versions. All they had to do was put in an option to toggle the classic menu or screen and everybody would've been happy.

It doesn't only bring you to the start screen. In 8.1, you can choose if the start button brings you to the start screen or to a list of your apps and programs without live tiles. Granted, it'll still take up the screen, but you will be able to use your desktop background in the modern interfaces as well, which will make the gap seem much much less intrusive (though I personally never felt it was that intrusive and bothersome to begin with). 

there not bringing that start menu back, having tried the windows 8.1 preview all that button did was take you back to the metro screen, so great now with have two ways of doing the same f**king job arrr faith in microsoft has been fully lost

It doesn't only bring you to the start screen. In 8.1, you can choose if the start button brings you to the start screen or to a list of your apps and programs without live tiles. Granted, it'll still take up the screen, but you will be able to use your desktop background in the modern interfaces as well, which will make the gap seem much much less intrusive (though I personally never felt it was that intrusive and bothersome to begin with). 

Edit: Sorry for double post. Quoting screwed up on me a bit.

People need to stop posting false info. 8.1 isn't bringing back the start menu. It just inserts a button that takes you back to the Metro UI crap/your programs in a stupid format. Why didn't MS just listen? -__-

People need to stop posting false info. 8.1 isn't bringing back the start menu. It just inserts a button that takes you back to the Metro UI crap/your programs in a stupid format. Why didn't MS just listen? -__-

Exactly, People needs to stop posting false info.

8.1 isn't bringing back the start menu. It just inserts a button that takes you back to the Metro UI goodness/your programs you set to open with. Why didn't BCMods just listen?

:)

Exactly, People needs to stop posting false info.

8.1 isn't bringing back the start menu. It just inserts a button that takes you back to the Metro UI goodness/your programs you set to open with. Why didn't BCMods just listen?

:)

I bet the whole forum will agree with you on that one.