Windows 7 vs Windows 8 for new build

skwananbe

you know what i give up, you have never complained about how windows looks untill windows 8 are you gonna say windows xp is rubbish or even windows 98 cause guess what they are all the same, just a cleaner UI.

if you wanna believe windows 8 is better then thats choice but when they release windows 9 or what ever they call it and force you to use touchscreen or other bull dont go complaining to me cause i will just laugh 

You keep saying that Windows 7 is better because of the UI, but you can always modify the UI of a Windows machine to look however you want. Windows 8 is an improvement overall, because of the speed gains and looks cleaner(no more Aero yay). Many complain about the removal of the Start button, but how much do you really use it?

You search for an application? Win + type the name of that app - same thing. You want to keep all useful programs on the start list(don't know the exact naming)? Pin their icons on the Start Menu - simple. The only difference I see is when you want to shut down the PC or put it to sleep, but that alone is no reason not to use Windows 8.

Windows 8 is a superior OS, people just don't want to learn new things.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Windows 8 is sooooo crap! I got it because I get free product keys through my uni and have been using it for 6 months or so. Windows 7 is just more user friendly in almost every way on a desktop :)

Its crap just because you dont like it or know how to use it? 

Honestly if you dont know to use windows 8 you problably dont know to use W7 properly either.

Windows 8 beats windows 7 in everything performance wise.

Nothing else said.

Windows 8.1 will fix many of the problems people have with windows 8.

I love windows 8 and I don't miss the start menu at all, for me metro basically is a start menu that looks a lot nicer.

I have windows 7 and windows 8 dual boot on my SSD.....i hear are my thoughts

Windows 7(6 seconds) boots much faster than 8 (20 seconds)

Windows 8 is no faster than windows 7, despite what everyone will tell you

No start button out of the box in Windows 8, without installing one Windows 8 is completely inefficient to use. and quite honestly completely useless without one.

Windows 8 is basically windows 7 with a crappy looking interface once you install a start button, (yeah there might be a few kernel improvements, nothing the average user will notice)

Modern UI is truly dreadful, looks like it was designed for simpletons, and is complete counter intuitive and should have the option to completely remove it.

Task manager is nice in windows 8

If you have a choice between getting windows 7 and 8 get 7 every time, save yourself the hassle of having to work around the Joke that is modern UI in order to use your computer how you want to.

Windows 8 as nothing to offer over Windows 7 for me

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

Well your clearly don't know how to install Windows. Because you are first person in the world that have a slower boot with with Windows 8.

Sounds to me you are using Windows 7 boot manager and not 8. Which means that when you switch to Windows 8, you actually shutdown Windows 7, reboot, and start Windows 8.

Benchmarks and real world performance don't lie. Windows 8 is faster. You are most likely missing drivers.

No start button out of the box in Windows 8, without installing one Windows 8 is completely inefficient to use. and quite honestly completely useless without one. Windows 8 is basically windows 7 with a crappy looking interface once you install a start button, (yeah there might be a few kernel improvements, nothing the average user will notice)

Ok, now you are making things up.

Modern UI is truly dreadful, looks like it was designed for simpletons, and is complete counter intuitive and should have the option to completely remove it.

You clearly have never used Windows 8. Go get Windows 8, install it as main OS, and use for a month or two, of course with a mentality of learning something new, THEN talk. Everyone that did here, loves Windows 8 afterwards, and prefer it over Windows 7.

Well your clearly don't know how to install Windows. Because you are first person in the world that have a slower boot with with Windows 8.

Sounds to me you are using Windows 7 boot manager and not 8. Which means that when you switch to Windows 8, you actually shutdown Windows 7, reboot, and start Windows 8.

WRONG

Benchmarks and real world performance don't lie. Windows 8 is faster. You are most likely missing drivers.

WRONG

Ok, now you are making things up.

WRONG

You clearly have never used Windows 8. Go get Windows 8, install it as main OS, and use for a month or two, of course with a mentality of learning something new, THEN talk. Everyone that did here, loves Windows 8 afterwards, and prefer it over Windows 7.

WRONG

Not even going to waste my time

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

Not even going to waste my time

But you don't mind wasting our time? You produce a series of points, but when someone takes the time to challenge you on them with their points of view your only response is you don't want to waste your time explaining your arguments further? I'm sorry but that's how you lose an argument. If you don't want to waste your time in a fair debate I think you are in the wrong place.

Explain to me how a mobile UI is in any way an improvement for a desktop.

The facts just basically are that W8 even if your using it at a basic level makes almost any task longer, even Lenovo who are only the largest manufacturers of computers in the world have started bundling replacement software for the 'Modern UI' in with their systems. If that isn't enough of an indicator of how horrid the UI is then I don't know what else would be.

Windows 8's advantages are limited purely to the Kernel and softwares that get omitted from Windows 7 that Microsoft have no other reason for keeping out other than they want to boost the appeal of their newer platform which quite frankly just isn't working for them. The performance increases it gets could have been easily adopted into a modernized W7 UI, if it weren't for that then W8's UI would have been long dead by now, and looking at sales numbers and the amount of people that haven't made the change to W8 over W7 it pretty much speaks for itself.

Give me 1 example of a task that takes longer on windows 8 then Windows 7 and I will agree with you.

I use Windows 8 since launch and honestly its adaptation. Most people dont bother to learn it and then give reasons that makes no sense. 

1, i know how to install windows perfectly well thank you, I did dual boot because i have stuff to do and want to to try windows 8 and not be stuck with it if i didn't like, and actually windows 8 complete messed up my boot-manager. so i had to repair in with the windows 7 disk, and windows 8 actually boots faster now than it did before the repair thanks to windows 7 repairing my boot-manager.

2. Everyone of my drivers is installed and working fine, as a matter of fact windows 8 runs very nicely thank you :P

3. So you find having to move you mouse from one side of the screen to the other efficient do you and scrolling endlessly though programs to find the one you want (some of us you know, have dozens of programs we use every day, the windows 8 start screen is a pain in the arse to keep going to launch a program)? personally i find it a complete waste of time, what is the point when you can have a start menu that is has everything on hand within 3 square inches on your screen, So for a lot of people windows 8 without a 3rd party start button will be completely useless and waste a lot of peoples time.

Also typing the name of the program i want to launch. isn't my idea of efficient, if i wanted to type to open programs id go back to using DOS 6.2 and if i get to the point where i have to search my own file system to find things, that will be the day i give up on computers. I have a PC because i know how to use and  organise a computer, if i didn't i'd buy a Mac.

4. Installing it as my main OS???? you never heard of partitioning your drive and running dual boot,??? I will make no difference at all if i remove windows 7 and just use 8, it will boot and run exactly the same.

5. I have run a few benchmarks, not had a lot of time to run many..........and what i have run so far, there is little to no difference in performance...Christ Valley can't even complete the benchmark (completely locks up the windows when i put my GPU overclocks in) and ran very stuttery....Mafia 2 was a little faster (3-5fps), but makes no difference when running is excess of 150fps, cinebench was roughly the same 8.77(despite W8 fabled task manager reporting my CPU running at 5.25GHz during the test, something ain't right there pal) , windows 7 is 8.80...Just cause 2 won't even launch to let me run a benchmark....AS SSD benchmark roughly same as Windows 7, need to and will run more.

6. I have actually spent a fair bit of time using Modern UI, and have gotten used to it, and i still think it is terrible....and i mean everything about it is not suited to PC, mouse movements are way to large, when you first start using it there is no indication how you close applications down, or how you even close your computer down. To use modern UI you literally have to forget everything you already know and when you have learned how to use it, its still terrible to use when you learn how it works.

No start button out of the box in Windows 8, without installing one Windows 8 is completely inefficient to use. and quite honestly completely useless without one.

Windows 8 is basically windows 7 with a crappy looking interface once you install a start button, (yeah there might be a few kernel improvements, nothing the average user will notice)

Task manager is nice in windows 8

If you have a choice between getting windows 7 and 8 get 7 every time, save yourself the hassle of having to work around the Joke that is modern UI in order to use your computer how you want to.

Windows 8 as nothing to offer over Windows 7 for me

There is something wrong you are doing. windows 8 doesnt take 20s to boot. There is no way Windows 7 is faster to boot then windows 8. 

Although there is something to consider. Windows 8 is faster on consecutive boots because he leaves parts of the system kinda semi open to be fast. So if you are always changing from windows 7 to 8 its normal that windows 8 wouldnt be faster. But even so I find that EXTREMLY Odd since every guy that tested it, even Linus, will tell you windows 8 is faster to boot then 7. 

I used both on SSD too and yeah W8 is faster.

Nope they are consecutive windows 8 boots (more like 12 seconds from pressing enter at boot menu), My windows 7 just boots very fast.

1, i know how to install windows perfectly well thank you, I did dual boot because i have stuff to do and want to to try windows 8 and not be stuck with it if i didn't like, and actually windows 8 complete messed up my boot-manager. so i had to repair in with the windows 7 disk, and windows 8 actually boots faster now than it did before the repair thanks to windows 7 repairing my boot-manager.

2. Everyone of my drivers is installed and working fine, as a matter of fact windows 8 runs very nicely thank you :P

3. So you find having to move you mouse from one side of the screen to the other efficient do you and scrolling endlessly though programs to find the one you want (some of us you know, have dozens of programs we use every day, the windows 8 start screen is a pain in the arse to keep going to launch a program)? personally i find it a complete waste of time, what is the point when you can have a start menu that is has everything on hand within 3 square inches on your screen, So for a lot of people windows 8 without a 3rd party start button will be completely useless and waste a lot of peoples time.

4. Installing it as my main OS???? you never heard of partition your drive and running dual boot,??? I will make no difference at all if i remove windows 7 and just use 8, it will boot and run exactly the same.

5. I have run a few benchmarks, not had a lot of time to run many..........and what i have run so far, there is little to no difference in performance...Christ Valley can't even complete the benchmark (completely locks up the windows when i put my GPU overclocks in) and ran very stuttery....Mafia 2 was a little faster (3-5fps), but makes no difference when running is excess of 150fps, cinebench was roughly the same 8.77(despite W8 fabled task manager reporting my CPU running at 5.25GHz during the test, something ain't right there pal) , windows 7 is 8.80...Just cause 2 won't even launch to let me run a benchmark....need to and will run more.

6. I have actually spent a fair bit of time using Modern UI, and have gotten used to it, and i still think it is terrible....and i mean everything about it is not suited to PC, mouse movements are way to large, when you first start using it there is no indication how you close applications down, or how you even close you computer down. To use modern UI you literally have to forget everything you already know and when you have learned how to use it, its still terrible to use when you learn how it works.

Ok now I will try to be more friendly.

W8 (Windows 8) is not perfect by any means.

But its new, its the first time Microsoft tried to improved a EXTREMELY outdated UI so you need to "learn" again how to use the best way.

First you are not supposed to use Windows 7 Boot manager since that delays Windows 8 consecutive boots a lot for sure. And you would notice that if you wanted to use Windows 7 then with the W8 boot manager that the PC would have to reboot in order to change stuff.

Ok now from a user that uses W8 since launch and that has got used to it to the point that I don't want to go back.

If you want some application in windows 8 you are not supposed to scroll around for it, you are not supposed to have all shortcuts on Modern UI. The idea is for you to organize there the most important ones and search for the rest that you only use once in awhile. The way you do that is in Modern UI just start typing and it will start searching. 

If you have a lot of shortcuts still in Modern UI, you can Ctrl + Scroll back to see everything, then you can click on the group you want and it will zoom in right there. I dont know how easier it can be.

You can create groups, rename them, etc, to help you out.

A lot of the stupid side menus for touch you dont even use it all the time. Because of some issues with it, yes W8 has some issues xD.

The side menu where you have the open apps is useless because it disregards completely the applications running on desktop mode, so you have Modern UI useless apps and desktop, that is how W8 sees things. So 1 less menu to use.

The right menu you dont use it at all because you can do everything it has in a faster way. If you want to shutdown your PC or sleep or reboot, or whatever, you just use Alt + F4 in Desktop which is WAY Faster.

If you need to search you use Windows + typing. 

If you want control panel. Use your mouse on the bottom left corner and right click, there is everything you need there.

I think the only thing there on the right menu is the "Change PC settings" on the bottom that changes the W8 Modern UI stuff.

So yeah, just use it as a normal windows and ignore most of the Modern UI since you can go around it.

I didn't have a PC during the Win 7 lifecycle. I know how to use Windows 8. It was learning PC all over and I enjoy it. I can't miss what I never had.

But...I have had programs that needed to be run in compatability mode. Run as Admin sometimes still doesn't open the program. My ipconfig won't work at all.

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

Ok now I will try to be more friendly.

W8 (Windows 8) is not perfect by any means.

But its new, its the first time Microsoft tried to improved a EXTREMELY outdated UI so you need to "learn" again how to use the best way.

First you are not supposed to use Windows 7 Boot manager since that delays Windows 8 consecutive boots a lot for sure. And you would notice that if you wanted to use Windows 7 then with the W8 boot manager that the PC would have to reboot in order to change stuff.

Ok now from a user that uses W8 since launch and that has got used to it to the point that I don't want to go back.

If you want some application in windows 8 you are not supposed to scroll around for it, you are not supposed to have all shortcuts on Modern UI. The idea is for you to organize there the most important ones and search for the rest that you only use once in awhile. The way you do that is in Modern UI just start typing and it will start searching. 

If you have a lot of shortcuts still in Modern UI, you can Ctrl + Scroll back to see everything, then you can click on the group you want and it will zoom in right there. I dont know how easier it can be.

You can create groups, rename them, etc, to help you out.

A lot of the stupid side menus for touch you dont even use it all the time. Because of some issues with it, yes W8 has some issues xD.

The side menu where you have the open apps is useless because it disregards completely the applications running on desktop mode, so you have Modern UI useless apps and desktop, that is how W8 sees things. So 1 less menu to use.

The right menu you dont use it at all because you can do everything it has in a faster way. If you want to shutdown your PC or sleep or reboot, or whatever, you just use Alt + F4 in Desktop which is WAY Faster.

If you need to search you use Windows + typing. 

If you want control panel. Use your mouse on the bottom left corner and right click, there is everything you need there.

I think the only thing there on the right menu is the "Change PC settings" on the bottom that changes the W8 Modern UI stuff.

So yeah, just use it as a normal windows and ignore most of the Modern UI since you can go around it.

Or just use windows 7, because thats what you are essentially doing if you ignore modern UI.

And none of that stuff, is faster than using the start menu....if i put shortcuts on the start screen, there would be 20-30 of them, not exactly my idea of efficent.

But...I have had programs that needed to be run in compatability mode. Run as Admin sometimes still doesn't open the program. My ipconfig won't work at all.

You installed a security software that block ipconfig from working.

Goodbytes, I run Windows defender and firewall. I will check now in those if I can allow it. Other than that, my router does a decent job of keeping my NAT open. That's really the only thing that bothered me, is a closed NAT with my old router.

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

Ok then make sure you environment paths: Path contains: C:\Windows\system32 inside.

Also typing the name of the program i want to launch. isn't my idea of efficient, if i wanted to type to open programs id go back to using DOS 6.2 and if i get to the point where i have to search my own file system to find things, that will be the day i give up on computers. I have a PC because i know how to use and  organise a computer, if i didn't i'd buy a Mac.

4. Installing it as my main OS???? you never heard of partitioning your drive and running dual boot,??? I will make no difference at all if i remove windows 7 and just use 8, it will boot and run exactly the same.

5. I have run a few benchmarks, not had a lot of time to run many..........and what i have run so far, there is little to no difference in performance...Christ Valley can't even complete the benchmark (completely locks up the windows when i put my GPU overclocks in) and ran very stuttery....Mafia 2 was a little faster (3-5fps), but makes no difference when running is excess of 150fps, cinebench was roughly the same 8.77(despite W8 fabled task manager reporting my CPU running at 5.25GHz during the test, something ain't right there pal) , windows 7 is 8.80...Just cause 2 won't even launch to let me run a benchmark....AS SSD benchmark roughly same as Windows 7, need to and will run more.

6. I have actually spent a fair bit of time using Modern UI, and have gotten used to it, and i still think it is terrible....and i mean everything about it is not suited to PC, mouse movements are way to large, when you first start using it there is no indication how you close applications down, or how you even close you computer down. To use modern UI you literally have to forget everything you already know and when you have learned how to use it, its still terrible to use when you learn how it works.

Although I do not agree with you I respect your opinion on the Modern UI. But if you have the time and are willing to see another perspective on things I heavily recommend reading this article: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/10/11/reflecting-on-your-comments-on-the-start-screen.aspx

It explains in a very professional way exactly why the Modern UI was the designed the way it was by using graphs, examples on mouse movement efficiency, theories on human psychology and over-all well-substantiated reasoning. I found it very enlightening. I can unveil that one of the main points is that it's more efficient for a mouse to travel further and hit a big target than travel a short distance and hit a small target. You might disagree but I really encourage you to read it.

Yup. And this is how I organized my Start Screen.

Old picture: http://www.helpweaver.com/dss.png

You might be wondering why my Apps at the right side of the screen. Well simply because I don't use them often. Those that I do, are pinned on the task bar.

I prefer Windows 8 to 7 but had to go back to 7 because of a incompatibility with my Xonar DS sound card 

CPU: i5 2500K @ 4.2GHZ, GPU: AMD Radeon RX 480 4GB, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb (2X4GB) 1600MHZ, Mobo: Asus P8Z77M, Chassis: Phanteks P400s Tempered Glass editionStorage: Seagate 1TB + Samsung 2TB In RAID 0 + Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Sound Card: Asus Xonar DS, Mouse: Steelseries Sensei, Keyboard: CM Storm Quick Fire Pro, Monitor: BenQ G2410HD + Samsung SA1900

Although I do not agree with you I respect your opinion on the Modern UI. But if you have the time and are willing to see another perspective on things I heavily recommend reading this article: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/10/11/reflecting-on-your-comments-on-the-start-screen.aspx

It explains in a very professional way exactly why the Modern UI was the designed the way it was by using graphs, examples on mouse movement efficiency, theories on human psychology and over-all well-substantiated reasoning. I found it very enlightening. I can unveil that one of the main points is that it's more efficient for a mouse to travel further and hit a big target than travel a short distance and hit a small target. You might disagree but I really encourage you to read it.

I flicked through that, i get why they have done it, it still doesn't make it good.

I flicked through that, i get why they have done it, it still doesn't make it good.

Sure it does. You have all this real estate space which isn't being used. And you need to scroll through a list to find what you are looking for, PLUS you need to expend 1 or sometimes 2 folders to access the program from the Start Menu. Here it's right there!. Not to mention the fact that you need an extra click for "All Programs", which you require to click to access your programs.