Vivaldi browser hits beta

Nowak

For sync or for general Google usage like YouTube, Gmail or search?

like browser history, bookmarks and passwords?

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

NICE!

I'm loving the dark version of the browser. That's an instant +1 for me, since I haven't seen a browser offer a night mode by default before (though I would have liked to be able to change the secondary color).  Another thing is I hope they do is make it so you can delete/move/etc the bookmarks from the toolbar instead of scrolling through the panel to the left to delete or manage them. The other customization options available already is pretty great though. In all, I'm probably going to have to spend a month on it before I'm as used to it as I am with Firefox. :lol:

Are the forums and the download/article page the only place to report bugs/issues? Or is there a ticket system we could use from within the browser or maybe via the website?

There is a bug report system, yes.

Thanks for the info!

That all sounds really nice, especially the add-on support. And hopefully when they release that theming engine, someone will make a less MSX looking theme for those of us who can't really stand it. Though by that time I'll probably not mind it or even like it. :P

Do you have a link to that team post that I may ask for?

Hold on, it was a few months ago. One of the team members posted a poll asking users what features they want the most. The three most-requested features were sync, private browsing and full theme support. Can't find the response to it, but they've been pretty up-front and open about what their users want, and so far out of those three features they've added in private browsing and have committed to providing... basically every other feature the users want.

like browser history, bookmarks and passwords?

You can import that from Chrome. You can't log into your Google account for sync, though. They're working on their own solution for that.

You can import that from Chrome. You can't log into your Google account for sync, though. They're working on their own solution for that.

yeah no thanks then, one more account i don't need

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I used to love Opera, but Chrome just got better than it. Hopefully Vivaldi can make me switch.

edit

yes, my add-ons work! <33

There is a bug report system, yes.

Hold on, it was a few months ago. One of the team members posted a poll asking users what features they want the most. The three most-requested features were sync, private browsing and full theme support. Can't find the response to it, but they've been pretty up-front and open about what their users want, and so far out of those three features they've added in private browsing and have committed to providing... basically every other feature the users want.

Thanks for the links. I was hoping to see a list of current features so I know not to suggest any they are already working on, have implemented already or maybe already said no to. I'll google around, see if I can find one. :)

Oh. I don't use Chrome* or Google account sync. I hope they will support native management for passwords etc in the future. Firefox has one that doesn't require any sort of account and I really don't want an account to manage my passwords or other accounts.  :lol:

*unless Chrome's management doesn't require an account or sync them online, then nevermind. :P

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Thanks for the links. I was hoping to see a list of current features so I know not to suggest any they are already working on, have implemented already or maybe already said no to. I'll google around, see if I can find one. :)

Oh. I don't use Chrome* or Google account sync. I hope they will support native management for passwords etc in the future. Firefox has one that doesn't require any sort of account and I really don't want an account to manage my passwords or other accounts.  :lol:

*unless Chrome's management doesn't require an account or sync them online, then nevermind. :P

It's actually on the Vivaldi team blog post, the list of currently-implemented features. They have no public roadmap, though, because they don't want people to get too excited or something.

As for sync, I was responding to ZetZet.

Pretty interesting. I'll definitely have to try it out sometime. It looks promising and could very well be a chrome competitor if they continue in the direction their heading at least for a small group of people.

Wait until people see the shortcut keys-try using Vivaldi without changing them first.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I missed stacking tabs since 12v When opera changed engines the ability disappeared and with it the benefits. Right now there is probably no difference between opera and chrome(maybe some visual) I've been using Vivalgi since day one, but haven't switched fully. Gonna wait till developers will add some extensions to customize it

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

With very few exceptions, everything loads up super fast. I can't tell if that's because I don't have any add-ons or bookmarks (well, not as many), but so far I'm loving the speed of it. The panel at the left is very convenient too and with the ability to hide it, it is even better. I love convenience where it makes sense and it makes sense here. I don't think I would have liked it if it were on top or to the right or even the bottom. It would have looked cluttered on the top or bottom, and just out of place to the right. The status updates on the address bar when loading a site is really neat too.

Maybe I found a worthy contender to Firefox?  :P

It's actually on the Vivaldi team blog post, the list of currently-implemented features. They have no public roadmap, though, because they don't want people to get too excited or something.

As for sync, I was responding to ZetZet.

I must have missed it. I'll look back at it now. haha

Oh, okay then. Oops on my end.  :blush:

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

IT IS WORTH JUMPING SHIP!!!! DOWNLOAD NOW!!!

is it on mobile?

does it sync all my shit around?

no

then not worth it.

I highly encourage people to turn on smooth scrolling btw. Its so damn fluid...

you can thank chrome for doing away with that. Firefox had it. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

is it on mobile?

does it sync all my shit around?

no

then not worth it.

• They have a mobile version planned but have not yet hired a team to develop it. Right now they're focusing on the desktop browser.
  • Sync is in the works.

• They have a mobile version planned but have not yet hired a team to develop it. Right now they're focusing on the desktop browser.
  • Sync is in the works.

hmmm

i mean iuse chrome cause its convenient, i sign in to somewhere i have EVERYTHING thier i need, bookmarks, passwords etc.

maybe one day ill switch unlikely tho. 

As someone who has never heard of this browser why should I care about it at all?

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Well Vivaldi is a pretty epic composer, so ill try the browser

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

• Sync is in the works.

Nice.

Even if I don't like it as a replacement for Firefox on my desktop, I already like it better than the browsers currently on my Moto G. It will make a great replacement even in beta phase.  :P

edit

Did I read a comment about Linux support? I have to try it. If it is faster than Firefox on Windows, I can only imagine how fast it is on Linux. :o

As someone who has never heard of this browser why should I care about it at all?

It's a browser meant for power users. It's rather small right now and most of the userbase is made up of disgruntled Opera users (like myself, Opera 12.x is still one of my favorite browsers ever) so I don't expect a lot of people to know about it, but it's definitely gonna bring something very needed back to the browser market, something for people who want the browser to be more than a thing that displays web pages.

Welp, it doesnt have extesions, or propper dark theme non flashing like edge does

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Welp, it doesnt have extesions, or propper dark theme non flashing like edge does

It doesn't have extensions of its own, but it does support Chrome extensions.

oh, didn't know that.

For extensions:

V Menu > Tools > Extensions > Get more extensions. Takes you to the Chrome web store.

when i first heard of this i literally though "meh" because i though the UI was ugly as fuck and that i didn't expect it to do something worthwhile vs others.

just download it for curiosity about 30 mins ago and i'm super impressed actually, i love that the url bar also acts as a loading bar that shows size and elements loaded, and that it can be full dark mode with just a few toggles in settings. Going to give it a more in depth spin later, but so far it has impressed me so much to probably switch when it gets a stable release.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

when i first heard of this i literally though "meh" because i though the UI was ugly as fuck and that i didn't expect it to do something worthwhile vs others.

just download it for curiosity about 30 mins ago and i'm super impressed actually, i love that the url bar also acts as a loading bar that shows size and elements loaded, and that it can be full dark mode with just a few toggles in settings. Going to give it a more in depth spin later, but so far it has impressed me so much to probably switch when it gets a stable release.

Yeah, the first few releases weren't that great admittedly. Lacked a lot of features, was pretty sluggish and customization was very limited. But now? I'm really liking what I'm seeing.

Same pages open, less addons present in Vivaldi:

LlSH3Tc.png

Yeah... it inherits Chrome's RAM problems, sadly.