Vivaldi browser hits beta

Nowak

RTm0GKC.png

https://vivaldi.net/en-US/teamblog/66-the-first-vivaldi-beta

http://fossbytes.com/chrome-killer-vivaldi-web-browser-hits-beta-with-new-features/

http://www.hybe.com/stories/new-web-browser-tops-2-mln-downloads-before-public-release

Taken from the Vivaldi team post:

After 50 snapshots and 4 Technical previews, Vivaldi has now reached Beta.

We cannot thank you enough for all the support we have gotten from our community. We couldn't have done it without you. Special thanks goes to the Sopranos (our volunteer test team) for always being willing to test our internal builds and give us valuable feedback.

I haven't been this excited about a browser since Opera 12, so many years ago. In less than a year, Vivaldi has progressed from just a glitchy, unstable, feature-incomplete technical preview into a beta product and has shown nothing but promise since day one. I was a big Opera fan, and seeing Jon von Tetzchner not let his dream of a browser for power users die after Opera was basically taken over by investors that wanted a browser for everyone rather than such a niche market. It's still feature-incomplete, but I am really excited to see what the future brings for Vivaldi, especially after Opera's... disappointing reinvention of itself.

Loving that generic logo fade thing. Why does every logo have that on it? My friend does it as well and it really annoys me.

Anyways, is this browser fast? If so, goodbye Chrome. Fuck you and your CPU intensive ways.

Loving that generic logo fade thing. Why does every logo have that on it? My friend does it as well and it really annoys me.

Anyways, is this browser fast? If so, goodbye Chrome. Fuck you and your CPU intensive ways.

Its get an epic design with way more features than any other browser IMO....

Oh, I think I remember a thread about this browser a while ago. I don't like the look but I'll try it out for sure.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Never heard of, why is it nice?

CPU: A8-5600K GPU: MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB MOBO: ASUS A55BM-PLUS 

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3

Wow this even has a linux version. May try that out on my Elementary OS install.

Never heard of, why is it nice?

It looks nice and has a lot of features apparently

It is pretty fast, yeah, but keep in mind that it's still in development so it's not 100% optimized yet. They're still working on increasing the speed and battery efficiency.

Can I login to my Google Account on it? No? No thanks.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Can I login to my Google Account on it? No? No thanks.

For sync or for general Google usage like YouTube, Gmail or search?

OK, so as someone who uses Firefox...

...what is Vivaldi, why should I care, and is it worth the jump?

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

Vivaldi is a Chromium-derived, feature-rich browser meant to be targeted at power users and people who want to use their browser as a tool to enhance their experience rather than just be something that displays web pages (ergo, more power users). Do you want your browser to have a built-in email client, notes and browse with just your keyboard? Then you should care, and it'll be worth the jump, once it gets stable.

I don't recommend you use it as your default browser yet if you do decide to check it out, I will because I'm crazy (I used every single alpha and beta of Opera from 10.00 to 12.16 as my default browser. Yes.) but it's definitely not quite there yet.

Just try it

Vivaldi is a Chromium-derived, feature-rich browser meant to be targeted at power users and people who want to use their browser as a tool to enhance their experience rather than just be something that displays web pages (ergo, more power users). Do you want your browser to have a built-in email client, notes and browse with just your keyboard? Then you should care, and it'll be worth the jump, once it gets stable.

I don't recommend you use it as your default browser yet if you do decide to check it out, I will because I'm crazy (I used every single alpha and beta of Opera from 10.00 to 12.16 as my default browser. Yes.) but it's definitely not quite there yet.

Hmm......the email thing sounds very interesting to me.

I think I'll give it a shot.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

Hmm......the email thing sounds very interesting to me.

I think I'll give it a shot.

Mail client isn't out yet, but it's on the roadmap and has been since day one.

I remember the Opera email client. It was honestly the best email client I've ever used. Seeing that many of the same people who worked on that now work for Vivaldi, I'm expecting great things from it too.

I'm downloading it now and making it my browser for the day. Hopefully I like it.

What do they offer in terms of privacy and features? Will they support add-ons and customization for the look of the browser itself beyond simple colors (themes basically)?

*yes, I am reading through the website now but I don't see a list or whatnot.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I'm downloading it now and making it my browser for the day. Hopefully I like it.

What do they offer in terms of privacy and features? Will they support add-ons and customization for the look of the browser itself beyond simple colors (themes basically)?

*yes, I am reading through the website now but I don't see a list or whatnot.

Features, right now they have tab stacking (basically multiple tabs taking up the same amount of room as a single tab), notes, an expandable sidebar, tab thumbnails, spatial (keyboard) navigation, native window support, mouse gestures, tab stack tiling, smooth scrolling, tabs that can be on the sides or bottom of the browser window, private browsing and a buncha others listed on the Vivaldi team post. As for privacy, there is (as I already mentioned) private browsing, and while the Google safe browsing and crash report options are there, they are disabled by default. Chrome extensions are supported as well, and a theming engine, while not public yet, is on the roadmap, along with browser sync, an email client, tab tearing and, of course, more features.

Opera, of which many of the developers used to work on, used to boast having over 150 features built-in. Since Opera has evidently abandoned that vision, to have hundreds of features built-in, that's now Vivaldi's vision.

It's pretty much the actual Opera with a re-design and some of the features it had the old Opera.

Quite good tbh for being only a beta.

The only issue is that the scaling of web pages seems to be per web page, and not for all, which is quite annoying the need of scaling manually for each one. 

And adding a dedicated name for each Speed Dial link is also a feature needed. Seeing the URL makes things quite messy when having multiple pages form the same site.

i7 5775c @4.1GHz // 2x4GB 2400MHz CL10 // R9 285 @1120/1575MHz // SSD MX100 512GB // Z97M Gaming // RM550 // Prolimatech Megahalems+ NF-P14s Redux // Cooletk U3

NICE!

I'm loving the dark version of the browser. That's an instant +1 for me, since I haven't seen a browser offer a night mode by default before (though I would have liked to be able to change the secondary color).  Another thing is I hope they do is make it so you can delete/move/etc the bookmarks from the toolbar instead of scrolling through the panel to the left to delete or manage them. The other customization options available already is pretty great though. In all, I'm probably going to have to spend a month on it before I'm as used to it as I am with Firefox. :lol:

Are the forums and the download/article page the only place to report bugs/issues? Or is there a ticket system we could use from within the browser or maybe via the website?

Features, right now they have tab stacking (basically multiple tabs taking up the same amount of room as a single tab), notes, an expandable sidebar, tab thumbnails, spatial (keyboard) navigation, native window support, mouse gestures, tab stack tiling, smooth scrolling, tabs that can be on the sides or bottom of the browser window, private browsing and a buncha others listed on the Vivaldi team post. As for privacy, there is (as I already mentioned) private browsing, and while the Google safe browsing and crash report options are there, they are disabled by default. Chrome extensions are supported as well, and a theming engine, while not public yet, is on the roadmap, along with browser sync, an email client, tab tearing and, of course, more features.

Opera, of which many of the developers used to work on, used to boast having over 150 features built-in. Since Opera has evidently abandoned that vision, to have hundreds of features built-in, that's now Vivaldi's vision.

Thanks for the info!

That all sounds really nice, especially the add-on support. And hopefully when they release that theming engine, someone will make a less MSX looking theme for those of us who can't really stand it. Though by that time I'll probably not mind it or even like it. :P

Do you have a link to that team post that I may ask for?