[Rumor] T-Mobile possibly offering unlimited Netflix Streaming

Mew

T-Mobile is rumored to be announcing that they will be offering unlimited Netflix streaming at their "Uncarrier 10" event which coincidentally will be on November 10th. 

Rumors indicate that T-Mobile's upcoming "Uncarrier 10" event is going to be focused on one big, major trick: letting T-Mobile users stream Netflix and HBO content as much as they'd like, without eroding their usage caps. That's at least the claim being made by @EVLeaks, who insists T-Mobile will soon make large video services cap exempt. The idea falls on the heels of T-Mobile's Music Freedom service, which similarly lets users use major streaming services without it counting against their caps.

At this point, why doesn't T-Mobile just give everyone unlimited data. There are a lot of hoops to jump through to make certain apps not count towards your data allotment. Sure it might help the majority of the users, but is it that hard to go all the way?

Source: http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/TMobiles-Next-Big-Trick-Unlimited-Streaming-for-Netflix-HBO-135511

At this point, why doesn't T-Mobile just give everyone unlimited data.

At this point, why don't we just make Data Caps illegal because they serve no purpose other than making money from nothing.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

At this point, why don't we just make Data Caps illegal because they serve no purpose other than making money from nothing.

True story,recently my wireless receiver broke so im not currently doing this BUT:

Previously i had a wireless router that worked with a sim yet used my 'standard' uncapped line.

Cost me about R200 which is roughly $20 (US) a month.

It was a pain but cheap and effective,its a good idea for those who want cell internet cheap and willing to live with a few inconvieniences

There has to be a catch. Otherwise i'd grab a 500mb T-Mobile plan and switch back in a heartbeat. 90% of my data usage is my daughter watching Netflix on my phone.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

At this point, why doesn't T-Mobile just give everyone unlimited data. There are a lot of hoops to jump through to make certain apps not count towards your data allotment. Sure it might help the majority of the users, but is it that hard to go all the way?

That costs money, the reason they only do it with certain things e.g Netflix is because it's running on there internal network which costs them basically nothing.

There has to be a catch. Otherwise i'd grab a 500mb T-Mobile plan and switch back in a heartbeat. 90% of my data usage is my daughter watching Netflix on my phone.

Maybe like a 720P video Bandwith limit or something to keep it sorta undercontrol, They have unlimited streaming for Music already where you can have a 1GB plan and use 10 GB of music and theres no catch with it. 

also all there "Extras" like this you have to be a post paid subscriber

Maybe like a 720P video Bandwith limit or something to keep it sorta undercontrol, They have unlimited streaming for Music already where you can have a 1GB plan and use 10 GB of music and theres no catch with it.

also all there "Extras" like this you have to be a post paid subscriber

Post paid... cringe. That is a huge con.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

Isn't that against the net neutrality rules?

I think zero data rate is still an existing loophole

Sort of, but much like with the music streaming program T-Mobile offers, the FCC decided it does have to have certain rules, such as they can't exclude services or kick services out of the program.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Sort of, but much like with the music streaming program T-Mobile offers, the FCC decided it does have to have certain rules, such as they can't exclude services or kick services out of the program.

Bright Line Rules:

No Blocking: broadband providers may not block access to legal content, applications, services, or non-harmful devices.

No Throttling: broadband providers may not impair or degrade lawful Internet traffic on the basis of content, applications, services, or non-harmful devices.

No Paid Prioritization: broadband providers may not favor some lawful Internet traffic over other lawful traffic in exchange for consideration of any kind—in other words, no "fast lanes." This rule also bans ISPs from prioritizing content and services of their affiliates.

Check the bolded text. This should be, but since they aren't actively slowing other sites down until you hit the gap, T-mobile is exploiting a loophole. While this may seem shady, T-mobile has handled data a lot better than my old carrier Verizon (lol you went over your cap, we won't stop it we'll just hit you with automated charges. You can't stop it automatically). I just feel that with letting streaming be unlimited, which accounts for the lion's share of data for most these days, T-mobile is invalidating the "we need to save bandwidth" argument.

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

Not if netflix/HBO are paying for the data transferred to use their service.

Degrading the service if they failed to pay would be a violation though.

However, the updated net neutrality rules the FCC put out when everyone was freaking out about comcast harming their performance may be violated if read a certain way, if this ever got contested.

(lol you went over your cap, we won't stop it we'll just hit you with automated charges. You can't stop it automatically).

No, you can stop it automacally. If you call verizon and ask about it, they have a service where they stop your data when you hit your limit, just for 5.99 a month(clearly a great deal, right?)

Post paid... cringe. That is a huge con.

its not the worst you can still buy a phone outright or buy there prepaid models/ any GSM phones and pick up the $50.00 Unlimited calling texting and 1GB LTE with Unlimited music streaming & Netflix which sounds like a decent deal in comparative to other companies only thing is you pay at the end of the month instead of before 

its not the worst you can still buy a phone outright or buy there prepaid models/ any GSM phones and pick up the $50.00 Unlimited calling texting and 1GB LTE with Unlimited music streaming & Netflix which sounds like a decent deal in comparative to other companies only thing is you pay at the end of the month instead of before 

no the only difference is now I have to pay 15% more in taxes and fees vice the 50 cents of tax I pay on prepaid, plus I have to have a credit check and a bill that can vary based on their whim.

my next tablet will be cellular on T-mobile

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

I sure hope so. I'm still pissed about that Experian leak earlier.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

I think zero data rate is still an existing loophole

-snip-

No. It would only be breaking the rules if it was providing a faster service to Netflix, offering uncapped data is perfectly fine. If however, someone hits their data cap and starts watching Netflix, that could possibly cause an issue.

Green With Envy

A build based on a children's cartoon