Which programming language should I learn?

Hello, and thanks for reading this already!

I'm looking for a pretty good all round programming language to learn, and I'm looking for some advice

Things I want too program:

• Simple desktop applications in Windows, and preferably Unix systems (Mac and Linux)
  • Games in Unity 3D

What do you guys advice?

Thanks in advance!

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

C#

^^ for Unity, not sure if natively supported on Windows, same for Mac

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

You could start with Python. Python is good for beginners.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

I'm looking for a pretty good all round programming language to learn, and I'm looking for some advice

• Simple desktop applications in Windows, and preferably Unix systems (Mac and Linux)
  • Games in Unity 3D

What do you guys advice?

Thanks in advance!

C#. It's like java but it makes sense.  You can use it for windows applications, unity games, or even program Xbox games in XNA studio.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

Not really a programming language, but get yourself familiar to html 5 and css, then start to learn python so you understand how code works. Once you're comfortable, move to C# or javascript as unity uses those two languages for scripting 

C#

^^ for Unity, not sure if natively supported on Windows, same for Mac

Yeah C# was built by MS for Windows!

• Games in Unity 3D

What do you guys advice?

Thanks in advance!

C# is your best bet. i'm gonna try to make a C# beginners' guide soon. Introducing people completely new to programing to C#. Check the guide section at some point within next 2 weeks.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I did HTML JAVA C++ and VB6 at colleage

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

c# im currently learning it now its pretty simple

C# is your best bet. i'm gonna try to make a C# beginners' guide soon. Introducing people completely new to programing to C#. Check the guide section at some point within next 2 weeks.

can you tag me please?

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

I agree. I am currently learning python and find it quite simple. 

HTML/CSS/JS to start with, you'll always need them so don't avoid them

Ironic how you didn't mention any programming language except Javascript. what you could call..  a programming language

You just described C#.

Works with all those Oprating Systems and natively with Unity3D

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

C# for Unity. But I wouldn't advise.. Learning a language is meh.. Learning the concept of programming is the key. You are not a good programmer if you don't learn everything from the bottom.

Learn C++, then Java (OOP), then C# and try out Unity. Anyone who watches youtube tutorials can make Unity games, but that doesn't mean you're a good programmer.

You can also use C# to make Windows forms on Visual Studio. Or you can use VB.NET.

Ironic how you didn't mention any programming language except Javascript. what you could call..  a programming language

^^

JS is a good entry to it I guess, but HTML & CSS won't give you any real benefit to learning other languages, seeing as though HTML is a markup language.

HTML/CSS/JS to start with, you'll always need them so don't avoid them

None of these are relevant at all to what OP wants to do. For Unity you'll need to learn C# which is an excellent language. Technically C# is cross compatible via Xamarin, but I'd really go for either Java or C++ for Unix stuff.

Will take a look at it, thanks!

C#. It's like java but it makes sense.  You can use it for windows applications, unity games, or even program Xbox games in XNA studio.

Thanks!

Sweet! Tag me in it!

Not really a programming language, but get yourself familiar to html 5 and css, then start to learn python so you understand how code works. Once you're comfortable, move to C# or javascript as unity uses those two languages for scripting 

All right, thanks for the tip!

You just described C#.

Really? Thanks!

C# for Unity. But I wouldn't advise.. Learning a language is meh.. Learning the concept of programming is the key. You are not a good programmer if you don't learn everything from the bottom.

Learn C++, then Java (OOP), then C# and try out Unity. Anyone who watches youtube tutorials can make Unity games, but that doesn't mean you're a good programmer.

You can also use C# to make Windows forms on Visual Studio. Or you can use VB.NET.

Wasn't C++ one of the more difficult languages IIRC?

And what do you mean with Java (OOP)? (Sorry if I sound stupid woops)

None of these are relevant at all to what OP wants to do. For Unity you'll need to learn C# which is an excellent language. Technically C# is cross compatible via Xamarin, but I'd really go for either Java or C++ for Unix stuff.

What is Xamarin, if I may be so lazy? :P

And do you mean Java or Javascript? (I don't get the difference between the two to be honest)

For those specific programs, I'd use C#. But, actually if you start with with CSS, HTML, or JavaScript this will increase your coding knowledge in the future.

Alright, thanks!

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

You just described C#.

Doesn't work on mac

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

@Stijncat JavaScript is a scripting language used for websites. Outside of web work, you will never see it being used.

Java is a full featured multi platform programming language. You can use it for computer programs, server programs, web applets and more.

Java is to JavaScript as fun is to funeral ;)

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

@Stijncat JavaScript is a scripting language used for websites. Outside of web work, you will never see it being used.

Java is a full featured multi platform programming language. You can use it for computer programs, server programs, web applets and more.

Thanks for the info, it makes sense now :P

Yet, Unity3D (IIRC and AFAIK) uses Javascript. If I still use C# insted of JavaScript in Unity3D, will that break the scripting when moving too Mac OS X and Linux?

Basic guide to CPU's!

Javascript is natively supported in the game engine Unity3D. Alongside C#.

It does seem like C# is the more used one of the two.

I heard my teacher once says JS is more used in North America, whereas C# is more used in Europe (but I doubt this).

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Honestly the hardest part of learning a programming language is learning the libraries that come along with it and learning how to take advantage of those libraries. Most programming languages are made up of syntax at it's core.

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

Honestly the hardest part of learning a programming language is learning the libraries that come along with it and learning how to take advantage of those libraries. Most programming languages are made up of syntax at it's core.

Library is like .net, correct?

Basic guide to CPU's!

Thanks for the info, it makes sense now :P

Yet, Unity3D (IIRC and AFAIK) uses Javascript. If I still use C# insted of JavaScript in Unity3D, will that break the scripting when moving too Mac OS X and Linux?

No.

You can still edit your JS files in the Unity3D engine when programming and when you have a compiled program (the final game, a .exe) it will also work because the engine compiles the code.

Library is like .net, correct?

I think library is like all the engine/language specific functions and such.