WAN Show Suggestion for Showing Articles

PutuLips

Hi, everyone

I don't know if there's a WAN Show suggestions area, so I'll just leave this here.

I watch the WAN show every Saturday, and one of my biggest bugbears is that there is only really one scene, and the others are kind of just a "whatever this works" (though that is kind of the whole gist of the show ^_^).

The scene used while browsing articles is the worst, in my opinion, as it hides a lot of the article being viewed and is often re-scaled and altered during the show (as can be seen below).

zXwzl55.jpg

I have made a simple concept that may work better:

xfuaHMe.jpg

The original source from the camera would be used twice and cropped to an area around where Luke and Linus would be visible (a lot less zoomed out than this image, though the same gist).

Some advantages of this:

• (Subjectively) Looks more professional (especially if it were done properly, unlike above).
  • You can hide the taskbar and tabs of the browser, showing only the article content.
  • Branding and twitter tags/names are kept.

Some disadvantages:

• A bit more processing power is required.
  • It's the WAN show, so it's bound to just break all the time.
  • You kind of have to remain within a certain area while speaking to be seen (though it isn't that confined).

Thanks for your time. Love it or hate it, it's just a suggestion.

I use a Lenovo T440: i5 4300U, 8GB RAM, 128GB Samsung 840 Evo, 14" 900p display and an external 23" 1080p passive 3D monitor. Extended 6-cell battery with internal 3-cell. Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (I only use open-source software -- haven't paid for a single program yet).

Hi, everyone

I don't know if there's a WAN Show suggestions area, so I'll just leave this here.

I watch the WAN show every Saturday, and one of my biggest bugbears is that there is only really one scene, and the others are kind of just a "whatever this works" (though that is kind of the whole gist of the show ^_^).

The scene used while browsing articles is the worst, in my opinion, as it hides a lot of the article being viewed and is often re-scaled and altered during the show (as can be seen below).

zXwzl55.jpg

I have made a simple concept that may work better:

xfuaHMe.jpg

The original source from the camera would be used twice and cropped to an area around where Luke and Linus would be visible (a lot less zoomed out than this image, though the same gist).

Some advantages of this:

• (Subjectively) Looks more professional (especially if it were done properly, unlike above).
  • You can hide the taskbar and tabs of the browser, showing only the article content.
  • Branding and twitter tags/names are kept.

Some disadvantages:

• A bit more processing power is required.
  • It's the WAN show, so it's bound to just break all the time.
  • You kind of have to remain within a certain area while speaking to be seen (though it isn't that confined).

Thanks for your time. Love it or hate it, it's just a suggestion.

I think its pretty cool

Your future is whatever you make it. So make it a good one - Emmett Lathrop "DocBrown 

I love it, but you know the split cam would break every episode. 

Undoubtedly  <_<

I use a Lenovo T440: i5 4300U, 8GB RAM, 128GB Samsung 840 Evo, 14" 900p display and an external 23" 1080p passive 3D monitor. Extended 6-cell battery with internal 3-cell. Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (I only use open-source software -- haven't paid for a single program yet).

If we're listing suggestions, I have another one for Linus:

Change the settings on your taskbar; half the bloody thing is wasted on that search bar that is completely and utterly freaking pointless since you can just hit the windows key and start typing - does the exact same thing but is faster because you don't have to click to start, and it takes up less space.  Also, set it to small icons.  It will be a lot less crowded :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

inb4 hate train on OP using OSX

Cool idea though; looks much more professional 

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

Paging LMG! @LinusTech @Slick @nicklmg 

Personally, this design looks great, and I so wish that Luke + Linus used a different scheme, whether it be this or something else. Also Linus, please, please, close your downloads bar in chrome and set the taskbar to autohide, the OCD is real...

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

It's Ubuntu 14.04 (Unity -- yeah I'm one of those Linux users) with a skin called Flatabulous and changed system font to Helvetica Neue... But thanks  :)

not OSX

"God created war so that Americans would learn geography"

It's Ubuntu 14.04 (Unity -- yeah I'm one of those Linux users) with a skin called Flatabulous and changed system font to Helvetica Neue... But thanks  :)

Yeah where did you get OSX from?  I don't see it anywhere...

Actually I just assumed it was some custom generic graphic in photoshop of something :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Yeah where did you get OSX from?  I don't see it anywhere...

Window controls at top-left generally = Mac OSX.

Window controls at top-left generally = Mac OSX.

generally being they keyword there, and a "generally" dangerous thing to use in the broad and diverse world of tech :)

The idea is great. One thing though is that Linus will need to get a producer (not that he doesn't already need one cuz he really does) to pull this off better.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

The idea is great. One thing though is that Linus will need to get a producer (not that he doesn't already need one cuz he really does) to pull this off better.

But the so very "real" feel of the show is why we all love it!  If it got all professional and polished it just wouldn't be the same :(

But the so very "real" feel of the show is why we all love it!  If it got all professional and polished it just wouldn't be the same :(

Very true  ;)

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Good suggestion, OP.

Regarding my taskbar, my system is 3200x1800 res with 200% scaling so when I plug into my 1080p capture card it scales weird.

Good suggestion, OP.

Regarding my taskbar, my system is 3200x1800 res with 200% scaling so when I plug into my 1080p capture card it scales weird.

Ah, figured you couldn't possibly be using it like that all the time :)

Actually I have another suggestion: does anyone else find Linus comes in loud and clear but Luke is a lot quieter by comparison? Maybe do something with the mic placement, or compression, or get him to speak up :)

Actually I have another suggestion: does anyone else find Linus comes in loud and clear but Luke is a lot quieter by comparison? Maybe do something with the mic placement, or compression, or get him to speak up :)

I think problem there is that pitch of their voices are so different. More professional way to do it would be to use own wireless mics for both.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv