Mineral oil meets passive cooling: as extreme as it can get [blue print]

Stefan1024

Mineral oil

+

passive cooling

=

???

The purpose of ths build is to show off what passive cooling is capable off when you have recources to to wild. Like my last two passive cooled build, this one is also thoughtfully desiged and is able to runn in an environnement up to 30°C including stress tests.

This time the setup allows a TDP of 1100 watts! This is achived by using six amssive heat sinks that form an enclosure. As only flat sides are mounted together it can be seald with welding or a screw and glue combination. So it can be filled up with mineral oil to cool the VRMs, chipset and RAM as well. All main heat sources are still directly coupled to the heat sinks and do not rely on the mineral oil. Thats why I should get away without additional fans circulating the oil. Also the build can be run without the mineral oil for test purpose as long it is not stressed for unreasonable time.

As the possible performance is extremly high, so is the price. Also this build was designed on my passive PC so I do not actually need a new one. There I created a blueprint for you, if you have robbed a bank and some money to spend.

The whole interior will be filled up with oil.

post-216771-0-91290500-1445028292_thumb.

CPU cooling: 8x 8mm heat pipes

post-216771-0-89932700-1445028286_thumb.

GPU cooling: Directly mounted to the heat sink with a copper block. This works fine with my GTX 980.

post-216771-0-91074000-1445028283_thumb.

Top view:

post-216771-0-82042800-1445028289_thumb.

I will explein now why I these choosed the parts here: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

Of course you can modify the list to your needs and save some money.

MoBo: Asus Z9PE-D8 WS

I went with a dual CPU workstation MoBo. Sadly the models aviable are limitteded, because the RAM slots must be in 90° ange the the PCIe slots. Otherwise they will block the CPU heat pipes. So I choosed the Asus one with the LGA2011 socket. Maybe there will be feasable LGA2001-V3 board soon, so you can pick up better CPUs.

CPU: 2x Xeon E5-2637 V2 3.5GHz

If you find a better LGA2011 CPU you can afford go for it, but there ones are a good point to start.

RAM: Kingston 32GB (4 x 8GB)

As much of ECC registered memory as you like.

GPU: 3x XFX Radeon R9 Nano

This was, as in most build, a difficult decision. The GPU must match these conditions:

- No dedicated SLI/CF bridge because the cards are to distant (R.I.P Nvidia)

- <600 watts for all GPUs

- Single slot IO, so you don't have to use a 40mm think (!) copper block to surpass the second slot.With one slot the copper block is already heavy.

- 3x200 watts are much better than 2x300 watts because of the power density

- Good scaling (obviously)

The AMD Fury Nano meets all this conditions. Also the coolng capacity of the heat sinks is conservative calculated, the actual performance should be better. The Fury allows to rise the power target and scales good with the power allowed since it's held back a bit by the standart TDP. Also the Fury lineup shows very good CF scaling in general.

The CAD models of the GPU are not the Nanos. I just cut my GTX980 in half to create the model and save time. I don't have acurate drawings jet, so it's silly to spend a lot of time on the model.

PSU: SeaSonic 1200W 80+ Platinum

Good quallity and efficient. Due to the oil cooling the fan should hardly spinn up at all. And even if it does the sound should be dampened by the oil because it is at the bottom of the case.

Main drive: Samsung 850 Pro NVMe

Should be aviable soon and seems better to me than the Intel 750.

Second dive: Samsung 850 Evo

Don't dare to use a HDD ;)

If you are interested I can provide the blue print of the system to you (when you don't use it to generate profit with it). Also I know suppliers for the heat sinks used as well as for custom bent heat pipes.

So what do you think of my little dream project?

EDIT: For these interested here is the proove of the concept:

250 watts: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/342534-finished-full-passive-powerful-workstation-gaming-rig-who-said-it-cant-be-done/

500 watts: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/351134-finished-the-silent-cube-pushing-passive-cooling-to-the-limit-with-dual-gtx-980-update-17-pictures/

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Overkeeeeeeell.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Mineral oil

+

passive cooling

=

???

that is very cool looking.   I want to see that happen !

@LinusTech@LinusTech@LinusTech@LinusTech

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

AMD cards Crossfire (SLI) through the mobo via the PCIe bus now.

EDIT: nvm didn't read the post correctly

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

NANO HYPE!

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Bro why u gonna quote the whole OP, cereal

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

AMD cards Crossfire (SLI) through the mobo via the PCIe bus now.

? It's been like that for 2-3 years :D

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

? It's been like that for 2-3 years :D

Ik but I edited my post bc at first I thought the OP didn't know that so yeet I was just pointing it out but I correctly myself since I didn't read the OP correctly.

yes please!!  That sounds amazing!  I love your ideas, always unique and outside the box.

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

Im thinking that the system will heat up to VERY VERY hot temps. But after the thermal capacity of the oil has been reached.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

This would be very, very interesting :D Please make it happen :D

Also slight spelling error near the end: EDIT: Fix'd.

When you (or find somebody to) sponsor at least halve of the cost, I will do it ;)

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

When you (or find somebody to) sponsor at least halve of the cost, I will do it ;)

hehe. not soon :P

I allredy have my pc in a f86 golden hawk model to do :)

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Im thinking that the system will heat up to VERY VERY hot temps. But after the thermal capacity of the oil has been reached.

I do dissipate 500 watts with three of these heat sinks savely. In fact I could do evem more if the connection form the CPU to the heat sink would be better. This one have 6 of there heat sinks.

The oil is only to cool the components not directly contacting the enclousure.

I do dissipate 500 watts with three of these heat sinks savely. In fact I could do evem more if the connection form the CPU to the heat sink would be better. This one have 6 of there heat sinks.

The oil is only to cool the components not directly contacting the enclousure.

ah

needs 3 more.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I'd be careful with PSU positioning. Since it's gonna be your only source of fluid movement, it's important where you direct the oil.

I'd be careful with PSU positioning. Since it's gonna be your only source of fluid movement, it's important where you direct the oil.

It is desinged not to spinn the fan as long as possible. The rise of the hot oil should be enougth circulation. Look at Linus video of his oil cooled rig. You can see the flicker when the hot oil rises form the CPU heat sink by it's own.

But I thougth about putting old CPU haeat sinks on the big passive heatsinks pointing inside to pick up the heat from the oil faster.

It is desinged not to spinn the fan as long as possible. The rise of the hot oil should be enougth circulation. Look at Linus video of his oil cooled rig. You can see the flicker when the hot oil rises form the CPU heat sink by it's own.

But I thougth about putting old CPU haeat sinks on the big passive heatsinks pointing inside to pick up the heat from the oil faster.

You still need to have something moving the oil, if it's just stagnant it'll do jack shit with cooling decently (afaik) cause yeah you can setup a convection current... waaait, how fast do those move? I may have just contradicted myself.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

You still need to have something moving the oil, if it's just stagnant it'll do jack shit with cooling decently (afaik) cause yeah you can setup a convection current... waaait, how fast do those move? I may have just contradicted myself.

Depends on the temp differentials.

Only a complex fluid simulation would be able to answer the question in advance. But it should be better than air that also releis on natural convection.

But adding a fan if nessecary is possible.

Regardless if the system is going to be hot or not, the fact that all components wont be as easily visible as for example in a fish tank is a big con for me in mineral oil build.

CPU: I5 4670k @ 4ghz Motherboard: MSI z87 G45 Gaming RAM: 2x 4GB Avexir and Corsair 2x4gb ddr3 @ 1600mhz GPU: MSI GTX 1080 SeaHawk EK PSU: EVGA SuperNova P2 750w Boot SSD: Intel 320 120GB Storage: Crucial 256gb ssd and Samsung 250gb ssd

Dis gon b gud though I'd get 2 Titan xs instead of the 3 nanos

The GPUs are too far apart, you can't really SLI those

Dis gon b gud though I'd get 2 Titan xs instead of the 3 nanos

Because of the SLI bridge short they must be closetogether like in my current build. But the power desity get's terrible when doing so. Also DVI connector is to big and requires a workaround too. The card hardly fullfilly any of the specifications needed and two of them are also expensiver than tree Nanos.