iMac refresh - new specs, more 5K

Lord Sparklebottom

Nice display, you can't argue with this.

But the compute performance and the cooling is terribly underpowered for serious work. Even my passive cooling is better than what was in the last 5k iMac.

But if you have money to burn and only use it for facebook, word and browsing why not ? ;)

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

I guess it's 4 times then?

wat do you even maths

The previous model was 1080p. Half of this resolution is 2048x1152.

Well they chose a 4096 res because its actually the standard 4K res. not the stupid 3840 we use...

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

wat do you even maths

Well they chose a 4096 res because its actually the standard 4K res. not the stupid 3840 we use...

Alright i'll agree I screwed up the maths as usual.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

That's impressive, and the price for the cheapest 4K iMac is £1199, which is very good indeed, I might have to clue my old man into this, he'll certainly be tempted I'm sure.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

If you havent noticed, Apple have a contract with AMD for their GPUs in their desktop computers. Im guessing it lasts for 2 years (or 3 generations)

Probably using the same custom developed scaler/interface, to save costs. meaning they have no means of making it accept DP1.4/HDMI2

Does it count as 3 generations if we keep rebranding the same gpu 

:P

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

they have no excuse for not cramming a desktop GPU in these... i mean really. There is laptops with desktop 980's in them now. Why can't this have one of those or a R9-290 or something?! 

Apple makes some really interesting decisions sometimes...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

5K display with only 4GB vRAM? is that enough?

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

M296x

how original. 

5K display with only 4GB vRAM? is that enough?

They're not going to be gaming. 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

5k on an i5 and a mobile gpu i... i... i... i dont think it will perform very well in anything outside of normal office work

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

M296x

how original. 

They're not going to be gaming. 

even if not gaming, that mobile GPU could skip FPS doing just about anything

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

even if not gaming, that mobile GPU could skip FPS doing just about anything

Not really, a 296x is basically a underclocked 380x (full tonga) last time I check, which will have no problem driving 5k on pretty much everything. Iris pro can drive 4k,also it's apple they wouldn't have bothered putting that gpu in if it would drop frames

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I'm actually debating whether to sell my PC and buy an iMac or strongest Mac Mini with some nice 34 ultrawide monitor, since I'm not playing games that much anymore.

I am in the same boat. No longer have time to play video games so I hackintoshed my PC.

While that is true I think the reason is because 1080p on a 24" display from 2-3 feet away it is hard to tell much of a difference between 1080p and 4k. 4k is only important when you start to get bigger

The difference quite noticable in gaming when you don't have anti-aliasing enabled. 4k pretty much eliminates the need for anti-aliasing. Non-gaming wise, you can't tell too much of a difference unless you are doing video editing or something.

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

Apple is refreshing the iMac line-up, with new specs and displays. All the 27" model now have a 5K compaired to only one model. That means that the starting price for a iMac with a 5K display now starts at $1,799, compaired to the old price $1,999. Apple is also stating that the new display can output 25% more colours.

xxti65I.jpg

Inside the iMac, the processors are now Skylake CPUs starting with a 3,2 Ghz i5, and up to a 4,0 Ghz i7. The graphics are now handled by new AMD GPUs starting with a 2GB M380 and up to a 4GB M296X. RAM has seen a minor bump up now with 8GB 1867MHz going up to 32GB. It now also features a Thunderbolt 2 port.

They're also new versions of the keyboard, mouse and trackpad. They've now got rechargeable batteriers charging over the Lightning cable. The new keyboard and mouse will come included with the new iMacs.

The new 27" iMacs are all shipping today.

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/13/9512503/apple-imac-update-27-inch-5k-price-release-date-specs

I hate to break it to you but you missed the 21.5" 4K Imac. 

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I hate to break it to you but you missed the 21.5" 4K Imac. 

Whoops, thought that I did, adding it now.

Yeah, right guys? Guys?

Whoops, thought that I did, adding it now.

Too late xD. Got an article on it now.

You can just reference it. :)

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Too late xD. Got an article on it now.

You can just reference it. :)

Oh, noticed that after I edited this. I'll refer to yours and add it as a source

Yeah, right guys? Guys?

Oh, noticed that after I edited this. I'll refer to yours and add it as a source

Thanks. 

Holy crap the charging port on the Magic Mouse 2 is stupid. Whoever designed this is an idiot.

post-216-0-25345400-1444834227.jpg

Do you see the problem? The charging port is on the bottom of the mouse. You can't use it while it is charging and it looks stupid as hell. Also it charges through a lightning connector instead of USB type C for some reason.

Holy crap the charging port on the Magic Mouse 2 is stupid. Whoever designed this is an idiot.

attachicon.gifMagic Mouse 2 Charging.jpg

Do you see the problem? The charging port is on the bottom of the mouse. You can't use it while it is charging and it looks stupid as hell. Also it charges through a lightning connector instead of USB type C for some reason.

That's hilariously terrible 

Yeah, right guys? Guys?

So it started. :D

post-40354-0-75769100-1444844325.jpg

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.