iMac refresh - new specs, more 5K

Lord Sparklebottom

Apple is refreshing the iMac line-up, with new specs and displays. All the 27" model now have a 5K compaired to only one model. That means that the starting price for a iMac with a 5K display now starts at $1,799, compaired to the old price $1,999. Apple is also stating that the new display can output 25% more colours.

To improve color reproduction, Apple is switching to a new display technology. The new display is made up of what it calls "red-green phosphor LEDs," which are designed to, as you can guess, improve reproduction of reds and greens. Typical LEDs have done a much better job with blues, and these new LEDs are meant to even out how well reds, greens, and blues can be represented. This new display tech is also coming to a 4K version of the 21.5-inch iMac, which is being introduced today.

xxti65I.jpg

Inside the iMac, the processors are now Skylake CPUs starting with a 3,2 Ghz i5, and up to a 4,0 Ghz i7. The graphics are now handled by new AMD GPUs starting with a 2GB M380 and up to a 4GB M296X. RAM has seen a minor bump up now with 8GB 1867MHz going up to 32GB. It now also features a Thunderbolt 2 port.

The 21,5" iMac also got an upgrade, the highest end model ($1,499) now has a 4K display, with the 1080p models starting at $1,099.

As stated earlier, the new 4K display has the same new display tech as the 5K iMac. Inside the 21,5" iMac there's in the cheapest model a 1,6GHz dual-core i5, and the 4K model has a 3,1GHz quad-core i5 with Iris Pro graphics. The RAM now is 8GB of 1867GHz LPDDR3 going up to 16GB. Just like the 27" the 21,5" now has two Thunderbolt 2 ports and also more storage options 

CN2IzFK.jpg

They're also new versions of the keyboard, mouse and trackpad. They've now got rechargeable batteriers charging over the Lightning cable. The keyboard is much thinner because of this and the trackpad is bigger, but the Magic Mouse is the same as before. The new keyboard and mouse will come included with the new iMacs.

ken5v7y.jpg

The new 27" and 21,5" iMacs are all shipping today.

Sources: 

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/13/9512503/apple-imac-update-27-inch-5k-price-release-date-specs

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/13/9512505/new-apple-imac-announced-specs-price-release-date-21-inch

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/466952-apple-releases-215-4k-retina-imac/

Edit: Added info about the 21,5" and added more images

Edited by Lord Sparklebottom
Fixed for night theme users

Yeah, right guys? Guys?

thats awesome :D.. like really awesome

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Oh, well ok :P

Still not a product that seems interesting to me. Price is better though, maybe it throttles less too now.

New review @LinusTech? :D

(Off topic: @Lord Sparklebottom please remove the formatting to the quote)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Oh, well ok :P

Still not a product that seems interesting to me. Price is better though, maybe it throttles less too now.

New review @LinusTech? :D

(Off topic: @Lord Sparklebottom please remove the formatting to the quote)

Noticed it, fixed

Yeah, right guys? Guys?

I like seeing higher  resolutions becoming more popular. We have been at 1080P for a long time now.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

I like seeing higher  resolutions becoming more popular. We have been at 1080P for a long time now.

While that is true I think the reason is because 1080p on a 24" display from 2-3 feet away it is hard to tell much of a difference between 1080p and 4k. 4k is only important when you start to get bigger

While that is true I think the reason is because 1080p on a 24" display from 2-3 feet away it is hard to tell much of a difference between 1080p and 4k. 4k is only important when you start to get bigger

IMacs are 27" displays, not 24. And you can certainly tell the difference on a 27" display. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

IMacs are 27" displays, not 24. And you can certainly tell the difference on a 27" display. 

I get they are 27", your comment was more general that saying just specifically 27" imacs and so was mine.

I'm quite sure that M380 is not gonna be enough for serious editing. And think that's a M295X. Other than that it's quite awesome. 

Also did they upgrade cooling or throttling all the way? 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

So Broadwell in the 21.5" iMac and Skylake in the 27". Why does Apple keep treating the smaller devices as "lesser" devices? Same with the iPad Mini. No reason to not put an A9 in there.

Also, yay for 5400 RPM drives. Like what the fuck. Oh, and no option for a dGPU in the 21.5" devices. But why? I mean, nice display you have there, but without a good GPU that Mac is gonna be underpowered in like a year. ALSO: where's DDR4?

Ye ole' train

I'm quite sure that M380 is not gonna be enough for serious editing. And think that's a M295X. Other than that it's quite awesome. 

Also did they upgrade cooling or throttling all the way? 

It's an iMac, so no. Still the same terrible cooling as always.

Ye ole' train

I'm a bit disappointed that it is still featuring Thunderbolt 2....

Which means I can't use it as a 5K monitor....

I'm a bit disappointed that it is still featuring Thunderbolt 2....

Which means I can't use it as a 5K monitor....

Not even the 21.5" iMac supports target display mode. How's that? Thunderbolt 2 has the bandwidth for it.

Ye ole' train

IMHO they should have used the nvidia mobile gpus or at leased had 4gb of vram standard. The current generation RadeonM cards are basically rebrands of older cards (correct me if i"m wrong) and output much more heat than the green team's offerings. IIRC heat was an issue for the M290X on the last 5k iMac. There's a reason why most gaming laptops use nvidia parts and it isnt because nvidia tells them to. 

Wait, why is their 4k higher res than 4k?

Edit: looks like they used broadwell because skylake doesnt have iris graphics yet.

http://anandtech.com/show/9715/apple-updates-imac-retina

That resolution is Cinema 4k rather than the more common 4k resolution that you see in most consumer devices. 

I'm actually debating whether to sell my PC and buy an iMac or strongest Mac Mini with some nice 34 ultrawide monitor, since I'm not playing games that much anymore.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

Wait, why is their 4k higher res than 4k?

Edit: looks like they used broadwell because skylake doesnt have iris graphics yet.

http://anandtech.com/show/9715/apple-updates-imac-retina

So that they double the resolution of the previous model so that they can double the scaling.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

IMHO they should have used the nvidia mobile gpus or at leased had 4gb of vram standard. The current generation RadeonM cards are basically rebrands of older cards (correct me if i"m wrong) and output much more heat than the green team's offerings. IIRC heat was an issue for the M290X on the last 5k iMac. There's a reason why most gaming laptops use nvidia parts and it isnt because nvidia tells them to. 

If you havent noticed, Apple have a contract with AMD for their GPUs in their desktop computers. Im guessing it lasts for 2 years (or 3 generations)

Not even the 21.5" iMac supports target display mode. How's that? Thunderbolt 2 has the bandwidth for it.

Probably using the same custom developed scaler/interface, to save costs. meaning they have no means of making it accept DP1.4/HDMI2

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

So that they double the resolution of the previous model so that they can double the scaling.

The previous model was 1080p. Half of this resolution is 2048x1152.

The previous model was 1080p. Half of this resolution is 2048x1152.

I guess it's 4 times then?

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

@LinusTech, what do you reckon? Updated review, or even "iSwitched to iMac v2?"

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?