Could Samsung or maybe another Android manufacturer bring something like Apple’s 3D Touch to its smartphones?

Nineshadow

The latest iPhones have been making headlines everywhere since their announcement last month, and Apple’s new 3D Touch feature is being singled out as one of the best things about the devices. Earlier this week, Synaptics announced that it was working on a similar technology called ClearForce, which will enable a smartphone to offer various functionality based on the force applied on the display. Synaptics said that it is working with leading OEMs for sampling ClearForce, and it’s possible we will see something 3D Touch on Samsung’s future smartphones.

Synaptics and Samsung have a history of working closely on new technologies, such as the touch-based fingerprint sensor that debuted on the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 edge. 3D Touch – or Force Touch as it was initially called – is being heralded as an intuitive method of smartphone interaction (though the consumers will decide how intuitive it really is), and we all know Samsung has never been shy of taking popular elements of its biggest competitor for its own smartphones.

Apple isn’t exactly the first to think of this technology; OEMs were working on fingerprint sensors before Apple introduced them on the iPhones and made them popular, and it’s clear that Synaptics’ version of 3D Touch has been in the works for some time. Samsung was forced to wait for more than a year before it was able to bring touch-based fingerprint scanners to the Galaxy line, and the Korean giant probably wouldn’t want to wait as long with ClearForce.

What do you think? Could the Galaxy S7 or other future Samsung phones feature displays with support for ClearForce?

SOURCE

________________________________________________________________________________________

Ah Synaptics. Let's see how your ClearForce will come about.

Here's a picture I found :

synaptics-3700.jpg?height=360&width=640

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Was anyone expecting Samsung NOT to copy-paste a new Apple feature onto their own phones?

Was anyone expecting thist NOT being in the pipeline of every other company at the same time?

Was anyone expecting Samsung NOT to copy-paste a new Apple feature onto their own phones?

It's not exactly Samsung though... Synaptics are making it, and they could have been working on it before Apple did.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

i dont need 3D touch in my life tbh.... kinda useless for me...

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

Uhhh, Huawei already has (badly, but it's in the Mate S iirc)

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Could someone explain all the hype about this?  So it's pressure sensitive and the harder press does a different action than the light tap... how is that really any different than androids "press and hold" for what is basically a right click?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

if something is done correctly, why wouldn't you make your own version?

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

if something is done correctly, why wouldn't you make your own version?

patent war

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

How is right click useless? well on a phone that is designed in a way so it is not necessary, but it does make doing things faster if you are used to it

How is right click useless? well on a phone that is designed in a way so it is not necessary, but it does make doing things faster if you are used to it

it probably makes the phone more expensive... and if that is the case... i dont want it... can live without it

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

it probably makes the phone more expensive... and if that is the case... i dont want it... can live without it

I don't think it's a very expensive technology, Apple had no trouble putting it and still getting significant margins at the same price.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

I don't think it's a very expensive technology, Apple had no trouble putting it and still getting significant margins at the same price.

base model of the Iphone 6s cost almost 800 euros where i live.... f u c k that price... the phone itself cost probably only 350... the apple logo cost another 450... it seems to me..... can get similar device for way cheaper... better specs and everything....

base model of the Iphone 6s cost almost 800 euros where i live.... f u c k that price... the phone itself cost probably only 350... the apple logo cost another 500... it seems to me..... can get similar device for way cheaper... better specs and everything....

That's what everybody is doing by the way, even Samsung to some extent. Samsung phones cost as much as their equivalent iPhones where I live. Only motorola is trying to cut their margins thin.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

That's what everybody is doing by the way, even Samsung to some extent. Samsung phones cost as much as their equivalent iPhones where I live. Only motorola is trying to cut their margins thin.

And LG :D

I'm wondering if it also gives that smooth, satisfying vibration when pressing

ohh....

nevermind, that's force touch.

Will see how this packs out, should be good if OEMS like samshit implent it properly.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Didn't Huawei release 3D touch capable phone like 1 week before Apple?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

Oh the amount of times that I have said this.....i don't need a mechanical keyboard, I don't need a gaming mouse, don't knock it till you have tried it

Could someone explain all the hype about this?  So it's pressure sensitive and the harder press does a different action than the light tap... how is that really any different than androids "press and hold" for what is basically a right click?

It's more than just right click. A lot of its power will come from devs

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

"New Apple feature"

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Could someone explain all the hype about this?

are you kidding its the next major improment since retina display. while others are fighting in the stupid specs race going with 1440p and 4k panels apple brings an actual usefull thing that changes how we interact with phones 

I remember they did but isn't only available in the Mate S luxury edition with the 128GB storage. I don't think force touch is really a necessity in the smartphone today just seems like another feature to use what is already precious battery life. Once a phone developer creates a new and improved battery technology then i'll be amazed.

Wait wait wait, has nobody turned on the "pointer location" option in developer options on android and noticed that there's a "prs" gauge?

Although that just measures the size of the contact object by surface area, it still works as a pressure sensor since pressing a soft object against a hard surface will make it squish more when more pressure is applied.

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

be quiet you.. only Apple have original ideas. ;)

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

I am confident Android manufacturers will add something like it in upcoming devices. It will not take off as quickly on Android though for obvious reasons.

Of course they'll try. The important question though is whether it won't be shit, the answer to which is no.

Apple spent four years developing 3D Touch, and it's harder than it sounds. It involves accelerometer data and gyroscopy as well to cancel out the effects of gravity at different angles. Furthermore, the force sensing isn't really the hard part. The hard part is the haptic feedback, which in the iPhones 6s is a large metal box inside the phone containing a linear actuator. The really hard part is designing the interaction model so that it makes sense and aids instead of impedes usage.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /