Could Samsung or maybe another Android manufacturer bring something like Apple’s 3D Touch to its smartphones?

Nineshadow

Wait wait wait, has nobody turned on the "pointer location" option in developer options on android and noticed that there's a "prs" gauge?

Although that just measures the size of the contact object by surface area, it still works as a pressure sensor since pressing a soft object against a hard surface will make it squish more when more pressure is applied.

Wouldn't that have a hard time distinguishing between a kids finger and an adults as it's only going off size? Plus it seems nothing really uses it. That's just going off the fact that I've never heard it mentioned until you said it.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

As a non-iPhone user, I find the feature super handy, and would be just fine if other companies implemented it, hopefully without the patent annoyances. Once more dev's start implementing it, I think it'll be a core feature expected on most apps in the near feature. The ability to take a peek in something, like lets say reddit post, without opening is something I'd use every day. 

As a non-iPhone user, I find the feature super handy, and would be just fine if other companies implemented it, hopefully without the patent annoyances. Once more dev's start implementing it, I think it'll be a core feature expected on most apps in the near feature. The ability to take a peek in something, like lets say reddit post, without opening is something I'd use every day. 

yeah I think its a really nice step forward, phones have very limited ways to interact with them, and without adding 400 buttons all over the thing, I think 3d touch is a really important feature going forwards

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

This might be something Android will struggle with, since Google doesn't usually implement features fast enough (was it 3 years for fingerprint sensor support?) and this will result in manufacturers doing things as they like (edit: just realised Samsung does this already). Not saying this might be a bad thing, but not for Android overall. Apps on Android also implement features at a slower pace so we'll probably end up with a few proprietary apps from Samsung or HTC anyone else who won't go bankrupt for the first year or so.

Maybe I'm wrong, that'd be a good thing for everybody  :D

As soon as Apple announced 3dtouch I immediately thought of Samsung's upcoming S Touch. 

be quiet you.. only Apple have original ideas. ;)

I'll take note for the next time. :D

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

Didn't Huawei release 3D touch capable phone like 1 week before Apple?

its implemented like shit. look at a video of it.kids at huawei tried to copy force touch and failed. until android implements it in its core,it will be shit.

and that doesn`t matter cause we knew the new iphones will have force touch.macbook 2015 and apple watch had it for months

Didn't Huawei release 3D touch capable phone like 1 week before Apple?

Isn't force touch and 3D touch different? 

not just samsung, everyone copies their competitors features.Not even surprised.

AMD FX-8350 @4GHz / Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 / G.Skill RipJaw X 8GB 1866Mhz / Samsung 840 120GB SSD / Sapphire R9 270X Toxic / Corsair CX500 / Fractal Design Define R4 / Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue / Xiaomi  Piston 2.0 / Steelseries Sensei / LG G3 32GB

Wouldn't that have a hard time distinguishing between a kids finger and an adults as it's only going off size? Plus it seems nothing really uses it. That's just going off the fact that I've never heard it mentioned until you said it.

Yeah no one uses it, like I'm pretty sure that saying literally no apps use that pressure data will be using literally correctly here. But I think it's more to do with the difference between the "pressure" of the initial touch and the "push deeper" touch than absolutes. But Idk, am kinda interested in trying 3d touch on one of my friend's 6s whenever one of them inevitably gets one.

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

already done, Huawei announced it a week before apple on the Mate S luxury edition that comes with 128GB of storage

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I just find it useless and gimmicky just like the fingerprint sensor.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*