Micron Acquires Tidal Systems, In-house SSD controllers coming

Micron has acquired Tidal Systems, a company specializing in SSD controllers founded in 2014 by industry veterans from companies such as Sandforce, SK-Hynix, and Skyera. This acquisition finally completes Micron's portfolio - they can now make all three vital components of an SSD; the NAND, DRAM, and SSD Controllers, all in-house. Samsung is the other SSD manufacturer that can do this, and now that Micron can as well, it might mean some serious competition may be coming in the SSD market soon.

Controllers developed in-house will help Micron to deliver premium SSDs to market faster, which will inevitably help the company’s business. Moreover, advanced controllers with LDPC will improve reliability and performance of Micron’s SSDs going forward. Tidal’s SSD processors will also be very useful for Micron, as it consolidates its NAND flash business with the aim to make more products in-house and sell less NAND to other companies.

Quote from KitGuru.

Source:

http://www.kitguru.net/components/ssd-drives/anton-shilov/micron-technology-acquires-tidal-systems-gets-ssd-controllers/

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/micron-tidal-aquisition-ssd-controller,30232.html

Edited by Godlygamer23
Added quote.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

does this mean that crucial SSD's will now be in the highend competition with Intel and Samsung, and lower prices on SSD's from Samsung and Crucial

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

does this mean that crucial SSD's will now be in the highend competition with Intel and Samsung, and lower prices on SSD's from Samsung and Crucial

Yes, that is the hope.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

Yes, that is the hope.

sweet, now i will just sit back and watch the war rage one :)

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

No because Intel and Micron are joined at the hip for a lot of the nand stuff.  Don't Intel SSDs currently use Micron flash and Crucial SSDs use Intel controllers?

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Please add a quote to the OP from one of your sources.

Added quote. Please have one in all Tech News OPs from now on.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Yay! This is wonderful news. 

All of my Crucial SSD's have been bloody fast for the price and very reliable. Had an M4 for almost four years now, used daily. If this means that Crucial will soon have a product line to compete with Samsung then I'm all for it! Go micron!

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

Good to hear. Can't wait to see what comes out of this.

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

Holy shit they control every aspect of the ssds they make so now suuuuuper cheap ssds and some reaaaaaally good ones too.....  

Good shit micron

Once they have this sorted out, Crucial SSDs are going really be hot. Maybe LTT will stop suggesting Samsung SSDs as the defacto one to get if performance jumps! :P

It should drop the prices of SSDs even further.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

good news

i believe the only company that has a controller that works with multicell TLC  and offering it for sale is imagination tech

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Once they have this sorted out, Crucial SSDs are going really be hot. Maybe LTT will stop suggesting Samsung SSDs as the defacto one to get if performance jumps! :P

I mean they already are really hot, but they admittedly don't have a nvme drive yet which I would love to see.

Also can't sata express transfer pcie data? Why don't we see a e-sata nvme drive? (Fuck u.2)

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS