What parts do semi-informed people recommend?

Mao_Zedong

So basically this is for parts that are actually decent but not the best value, but still always get recommended by people who aren't experts on that area. My two best examples of this are the cooler master hyper 212 evo and audio technica ath-m50s. The 212 evo is a decent cooler and all, but there are a few other options that are better for a similar price. With the m50s, they are better than something like beats, but the m40s are almost identical for $50+ less and there are other good options at that price. I would say noctua fans have this to an extent: they really are some of the best fans available, but there are other good options from companies like phanteks and be quiet which also look nice.

When people recommend FX cpu's.

-_-

So basically this is for parts that are actually decent but not the best value, but still always get recommended by people who aren't experts on that area. My two best examples of this are the cooler master hyper 212 evo and audio technica ath-m50s. The 212 evo is a decent cooler and all, but there are a few other options that are better for a similar price. With the m50s, they are better than something like beats, but the m40s are almost identical for $50+ less and there are other good options at that price. I would say noctua fans have this to an extent: they really are some of the best fans available, but there are other good options from companies like phanteks and be quiet which also look nice.

people recommend the 212 evo cause IT IS THE BEST cooler for the price

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

I recommend the Raijintek Themis Black over the Coolermaster 212 evo when I am doing an Australia Parts list

At PCCaseGear the 212 evo costs $60  and the Raijintek Themis Black cost $29 and preforms better

The Cryorig H7 for ~5$ more preforms better and looks nicer in my opinion.

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

Cryorig H7... Much better and its less than $10 more. Really wish I got one instead of my evo for my second rig.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

The Cryorig H7 for ~5$ more preforms better and looks nicer in my opinion.

still costs more ...theres lots of coolers that perform better for a tiny bit more

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Except better coolers are sometimes on sale for just as much.

I5 4690K, 99% of people will not overclock it enough to make up a difference in performance in many programs to the hyperthreaded E3 1231v3. They both cost the same, but one uses far less power, and performs better in a wider variety of situations.

Seagate hard drives in general. Not all seagate products are sketch, and the backblaze reports definitely are nothing to base an argument solely off of. However, the fact many servers, and many consumers constantly are swapping out their dead seagates for HGST/Hitachi should be enough to just spend that extra 4$ and get a more reliable hard drive. Or in many cases, 4$ less for a hitachi that has industry leading reliability.

Cherry MX Red mechanical keyboards. You don't know what's comfortable for people, don't tell them which keycaps/switches to get. They have to if they can, get samples, or go to a shop and actually try out, however briefly a switch or keyboard. #CherryMXRedPeasents #CherryMXRedAreTheMembraneKeyboardsOfMechanicalKeyboards #WouldRatherSmokeCrackThanUseAnMXRedKeyboard

(Can't really talk about using a mechanical keyboard atm myself though, my little sister managed to destroy my BW Chroma with a well placed bowl of cereal a week back...)

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Cherry MX Red mechanical keyboards. You don't know what's comfortable for people, don't tell them which keycaps/switches to get. They have to if they can, get samples, or go to a shop and actually try out, however briefly a switch or keyboard. #CherryMXRedPeasents #CherryMXRedAreTheMembraneKeyboardsOfMechanicalKeyboards #WouldRatherSmokeCrackThanUseAnMXRedKeyboard

omg that part really bothers me you have no idea

"u need 2 git mx reds bcuz they wer made 4 gaming"

No reason to get Reds when you can join THE CHERRY MX BLUE MASTER RACE. 

No reason to get Reds when you can join THE CHERRY MX BLUE MASTER RACE. 

#ClickySwitchMasterrace

#HasttagWhore

#MXBlackSwitchesMatter

omg that part really bothers me you have no idea

"u need 2 git mx reds bcuz they wer made 4 gaming"

Yea... i never understood why people like those damn switches. They're too spongy and soft, they feel like a membrane keyboard, albeit, a nice membrane keyboard, but a membrane nonetheless.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Brown is where it's at, blues and reds are for sissies.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Browns are a good second option, but nothing can ever come between me and my beloved Blues. So much clicky goodness. 

Blacks and Greens are the best.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

The recommendation I don't get is the H440, especially for people putting 240mm rads in top that get choked off by those tiny side exhausts in the top of the case. I couldn't believe it when I saw a video where a guy testing an H105 with Noctua fans got better temperatures with a Hyper 212 EVO (with stock fan) when they were in the H440.

I5 4690K, 99% of people will not overclock it enough to make up a difference in performance in many programs to the hyperthreaded E3 1231v3. They both cost the same, but one uses far less power, and performs better in a wider variety of situations.

Well I don't know about you, but where I live, the i5-4690k is $300 CAD, and the Xeon E3 1231v3 is $365.

and when people recommend Corsair CX PSUs... pisses me off so much

Fractal Define Series

Fractal Define Series

FRACTAL DEFINE SERIES.

Fractal Define Series

Fractal Define Series

FRACTAL DEFINE SERIES.

Seriously. It's getting ridiculous. Maybe I want more features in my case. My Thermaltake Chaser A71 has a hot swap SATA bay and a tray where I keep my headphones, and I think that's pretty damn cool. 

Fractal Define Series

Fractal Define Series

FRACTAL DEFINE SERIES.

A lot of people actually don't like the case design. Too bland.

the right case choices are highly subjective, and vary greatly depending on the buyer's opinion.

Well I don't know about you, but where I live, the i5-4690k is $300 CAD, and the Xeon E3 1231v3 is $365.

and when people recommend Corsair CX PSUs... pisses me off so much

That'f fairly uncommon. I must say, infact right now where i am the xeon is cheaper.

And CX power supplies are not great. They make no claims to be great, nor do people who rec. that I've seen. Its not great, but for that particular price, there isn't really anything better without sacrificing modularity, or efficiency, or spending more and breaking bank.

And CX power supplies are not great. They make no claims to be great, nor do people who rec. that I've seen. Its not great, but for that particular price, there isn't really anything better without sacrificing modularity, or efficiency, or spending more and breaking bank.

Well, perhaps I should elaborate more. I don't like it when people recommend CX PSUs to people who are using high end parts, because there are some people who believe that the CX line is better simply because it is cheaper. Personally, I've found a lot of these people.

Well, perhaps I should elaborate more. I don't like it when people recommend CX PSUs to people who are using high end parts, because there are some people who believe that the CX line is better simply because it is cheaper. Personally, I've found a lot of these people.

Well, then those people are stupid, or ignorant. For even just 15$ more there are far better power supplies.

ATH M50(X)s

"Any EVGA PSU and NO CORSAIR PSUs!" - not exactly a golden rule TBH

"X keyswitch is better because I like it"

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||