Should It Be Okay to Shoot a Drone over Your Backyard?

Blaze101xx

Is it okay to shoot a drone over your backyard? This seems to be a trend, as people have shot down drones in southern New Jersey and rural California. The courts have ruled this to be illegal, and they got arrested for it. Drones are a real threat, and the government is taking them seriously. In January, a man lost control of his drone, which crashed on the White House lawn. In May, another man was arrested for trying to fly his drone over the White House fence. Another man was arrested last week for flying a drone into the stadium where the U.S. Open was taking place. People have even attempted to get drugs into prisons with drones in Maryland, Ohio and South Carolina. There have even been many near-misses between drones and airplanes. People are worried about the possible terrorist uses of drones. There are companies that sell anti-drone laser weapons. One company even sells shotgun shells specifically designed to shoot down drones. Currently, it's illegal to shoot down a drone, even if it's hovering above your own property.

Law professor Michael Froomkin argues that self-defense should be permissible against drones simply because you don't know their capabilities. I agree with Michael Froomkin on this, because people have mounted guns on drones. The drones could could be listening or photographing us on our own property. I understand it is dangerous to have people firing guns into the air trying to shoot down drones over their property, so maybe stricter laws about where you can fly a drone could be the answer to these problems.

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/09/opinions/schneier-shoot-down-drones/

• CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard Ram: Team Zeus Blue 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive, Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply Display(s): Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK 68.5 CFM CPU Cooler Keyboard:Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX BrownMouse: Razer Deathadder Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32/64-bit) PC Part Picker URL: http://pcpartpicker....aze101xx/saved/

I have seen a few U,S. Drones fly over my grandpas house.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

U.S. Drones? Like, how do you distinguish if they are here legally ?

They are U.S. drones or illegal replicas :P

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

There have even been many near-misses between drones and airplanes.

I never understood this term. Taking it literally, a near-miss is a collision. When you nearly miss something, you hit it. So why does it mean that you don't? Why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways? Why do round pizzas come in square boxes? These are the burning questions that literally eat at me if I think about them too long.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

They are U.S. drones or illegal replicas :P

Well I recommend not shooting them down, haha.

• CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard Ram: Team Zeus Blue 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive, Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply Display(s): Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK 68.5 CFM CPU Cooler Keyboard:Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX BrownMouse: Razer Deathadder Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32/64-bit) PC Part Picker URL: http://pcpartpicker....aze101xx/saved/

I never understood this term. Taking it literally, a near-miss is a collision. When you nearly miss something, you hit it. So why does it mean that you don't? Why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways? Why do round pizzas come in square boxes? These are the burning questions that literally eat at me if I think about them too long.

A near-miss is not a collision. from a professional point of view, a near missing is anything that have or could poteintially have turned into a collision. Strictly speaking a drone that is still on the ground with no one controlling it is a "risk" and some one is able to report and document it as a "near-miss" this is when "risk assement" comes into play.

on the drone front, according to law a certain height of air space above the property u own is yours so i believe if a drone enters that space then yes u should be able to shoot it down, however if its above then u can't do anything about it.

A near-miss is not a collision. from a professional point of view, a near missing is anything that have or could poteintially have turned into a collision. Strictly speaking a drone that is still on the ground with no one controlling it is a "risk" and some one is able to report and document it as a "near-miss" this is when "risk assement" comes into play.

I'm well aware of this. My post states that, if you read between the lines. I'm just saying from a literal standpoint, it makes zero sense. I'd be moron if I didn't understand that. I'm simply stating that it makes no literal sense, and (if you read between the lines again), asking how that term came to mean the polar opposite of it's literal meaning.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

I think it's more of the danger of if I miss the drone the bullet is still in the air and going to come down somewhere...

Well yeah, I agree with you on that one.

Honestly, if that's not already the case, it should be illegal to even fly a drone over private properties. Heck, I'd go as far as saying that it shouldn't be legal for regular joe to own a drone in the first place, without having a proper license for it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Honestly, if that's not already the case, it should be illegal to even fly a drone over private properties. Heck, I'd go as far as saying that it shouldn't be legal for regular joe to own a drone in the first place, without having a proper license for it.

I agree, stricter laws on where you can fly a drone could help this situation.  I disagree with having own a licence to operate a drone though, maybe only ones that are a certain size require a licence to operate.

Yes, damn drone trying to take over my air space, probably commie drones.

Damn Rooskies

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

More laws only make things more complicated. How about we educate the morons of this world.

Unless it's right outside your window, you don't know what it's doing so shooting is destruction of property abd the operator has every right to sue you for it.

For all you know, the operator is a noob, has the camera pointed the complete other direction (IF HIS VEHICLE EVEN HAS A CAMERA!) and drifted over your fence. Now you've just destroyed his $500+ investment. Hell yeah he's pissed abd rightfully so.

The only argument that applies is noise pollution and disturbing your peace.

Now if you can prove his camera was looking in your window or at your naked pool party, THEN you can take measures against it.

If it simply passes over my backyard? No big deal, just someone having some fun.

If I find it hovering over my property? It's getting shot down.

Then again, if I find your drone flying around on my property, there's a good chance YOU are on my property so......stop trespassing on my property.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Depends on how far up it is. If it's literally hovering in my background yeah I'd shoot it, but if it's 50ft-100ft in the air just flying around I wouldn't bother with it.

Im 52, have bad eyesight and a duck stamp on my hunting liscense. I can have my decoys out b4 the cops show up

Using a firearm to shoot down a drone may run foul of laws and local ordnances regarding discharging firearms outside.  Suburban and urban areas this is generally against the law.

That being said I do believe if a drone is at least level with your roof then you should have the right to remove it from your air space. 

I'd personally use a water hose

Here drones are not that popular at least in the city I live I've never seen one outside of a store.

Anyway if it's like hovering outside my window I may take it down with an airsoft gun xD

Using a firearm to shoot down a drone may run foul of laws and local ordnances regarding discharging firearms outside.  Suburban and urban areas this is generally against the law.

That being said I do believe if a drone is at least level with your roof then you should have the right to remove it from your air space. 

I'd personally use a water hose

I like the idea of using water for this. Or perhaps an air powered net launcher,

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

No its not okay, it could be some kids playing with their new toy, or a photographer doing a landscape of the town with his £1500 drone

If you are allowed to shoot my drone, I am allowed to stab you in the nuts

Honestly, dont be a dick, the pilot will be close by, just be like "excuse me do you mind not flying around my property" 

I dont get the drone animosity, I would wave and be like "wow awesome a done", if it was equipped with a camera, and acting suspicious I might capture it and wait for the pilot to come retrieve it and ask him to delete the footage

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii