Do you think anything is PERFECTLY flat, or a 90 degree angle?

TheGeeker

I am thinking of this logically. NOTHING is every flat, or a perfect 90 degree angle or a perfect sphere. Please name an OBJECT that you can physically hold that is ABSOULTELEY PERFECTLY flat or a 90 degree angle. 

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

Theres a youtube channel with a sphere so round that if it was scaled to the size of the planet, there is a very small difference between the hihest and lowest point. Somebody find fhe video.

Theres a youtube channel with a sphere so round that if it was scaled to the size of the planet, there is a very small difference between the hihest and lowest point. Somebody find fhe video.

It can't have ANY imperfections. That would be the smoothest object in the world sure. But it is not perfect. 

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

This?

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

Graphene is only one atom thick so I guess that could count.

single atom thick sheet of graphene

I would go as far to say that atoms cant form PERFECTLY flat surfaces. 

This?

:ph34r:

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

If your talking about tool wise there are super precise instruments/machines that can measure to something like many thousands of a unit if not more so close enough to perfect as it can be but it would really depend on the use. 

This?

Thats not perfectly round. its close but not perfect. 

no because this planet is round so therefore everything is round

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

If you want to be technical about it, it's impossible for a macroscopic object to be perfectly flat or round, because it would require a continuous surface. Since everything is made up of atoms and particles orbiting, there is no such object.

It can't have ANY imperfections. That would be the smoothest object in the world sure. But it is not perfect. 

The structure is a 2 dimensional plane when made rigid if that isn't flat in your mind then why bother asking the question if your mind is made up already

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

The structure is a 2 dimensional plane when made rigid if that isn't flat in your mind then my bother asking the question if your mind is made up already

Its sorta made up. I can't think of a physical perfectly flat object but they do exist on graphs and models but not a real object

I would go as far to say that atoms cant form PERFECTLY flat surfaces. 

True, nothing is actually solid (electrons quantum tunnel) and the nuclei resonate. The only place that it might be possible is in a black hole.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

If I take single atom can I declare that I hold perfectly flat or round object? I don't think we know what exact shape atom has. It may most likely also have imperfection.

But if I can take object with imperfections and then put another object on it with imperfections that are exact opposite of the imperfections of the first object then another and so on until infinity can I say I have perfectly flat object?

On the most basic level, crystal lattices like those in salts are perfectly cubic, some with perfect 90 degree angles and all of them with perfectly flat sides. In nature these crystals usually have some microscopic chips and imperfections, but if you're in a laboratory, you can grow a perfectly flat and perfectly angled salt crystal. 

By shear math, at some point SOMETHING has to be perfectly flat or round or anything.  Even if it is the only thing ever.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

By shear math, at some point SOMETHING has to be perfectly flat or round or anything.  Even if it is the only thing ever.

yeah. the concept of it. nothing has been made to represent it though.

By sheer math, a flat surface does not exist unless the surface can exist in only two dimensions. Since all matter takes up space, and space is volume = length*width*depth, it follows that all things made of matter have length, width, and depth and cannot exist in two dimensions without losing one of its properties (length, width, or depth).

To find something truly flat, it cannot be made of matter. The only other thing in our universe *to my knowledge* is energy. Energy is not really "stuff," but rather something that all "stuff" has, and energy itself has no dimensions according to the accepted models of how the universe works.

Nothing is perfect in real life. You can say "I have one apple" and be telling the truth, but you can't say "I am 20 years old" and not be lying in some way (really? you are 20.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000... years old? Happy birthday!)

Atom14 [Corsair] i5-4690K | Corsair H110i GT | MSI Z97S SLI Krait | 16 GB Team Group DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB X2 | EVGA SuperNOVA 850W 80+ Gold | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 980Ti

Corsair KXX RGB Keyboard Cover Mod Make your own using my templates!

yup it would be a ideal surface but doesn't exist in the real world. A few objects get close, neutron stars can have a few mm difference in height (radius). You could say a vector is a affine 2 point object compare it with a vector of Equal magnitude and direction but at a different point you can say those two objects are parallel and flat with respect to each other, 2 light rays.

Also note the big bang is the closest to a perfect distribution as you can almost get Avg delta of only a few Kevin across the universe,so that expansion was pretty perfect.

By pure math, something, at some point, either now or in the future, has to be perfectly flat, curved, angled, or whatever the case is.

Additionally, even when this does happen, will we ever have a tool capable of measuring this?

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

By sheer math, a flat surface does not exist unless the surface can exist in only two dimensions. 

I disagree with that, and agree with Glenwing's interpretation. A three-dimensional shape, such as a cube, theoretically possesses six flat surfaces if the three-dimensional matter used to construct it were continuous, right? The problem is that atoms are not continuous, and there exists no other form of matter which may be used to build an object. 

What you've described is a plane, a surface without thickness. 

By pure math, something, at some point, either now or in the future, has to be perfectly flat, curved, angled, or whatever the case is.

Additionally, even when this does happen, will we ever have a tool capable of measuring this?

You mean based on probability. Just that probability dictates that it's possible doesn't mean that it absolutely has to exist. 

Probability dictates that I can keep flipping a coin throughout my life and get heads one billion times in a row; that doesn't mean that someone absolutely must have flipped a coin a billion times and gotten heads a billion times in a row.

yup it would be a ideal surface but doesn't exist in the real world. A few objects get close, neutron stars can have a few mm difference in height (radius). You could say a vector is a affine 2 point object compare it with a vector of Equal magnitude and direction but at a different point you can say those two objects are parallel and flat with respect to each other, 2 light rays.

Also note the big bang is the closest to a perfect distribution as you can almost get Avg delta of only a few Kevin across the universe,so that expansion was pretty perfect.

What about what I said about a grown crystal lattice with a perfectly cubic molecular structure? Hell, scientists have been able to construct things one atom at a time for a while now. They drew a stickman out of, like, 11 atoms.