Lenovo Thinkstation P500 No Video Output

Go to solution Solved by Jediahcox,

Tried a lot of other things, non of which worked.  A spare motherboard I got off ebay for $30 arrived today.  After swapping the motherboard it boots fine.  Must have been a bad motherboard.

I got a free Thinkstation p500 from a flea market.  It was bare bones with only the Motherboard, PSU, and CPU.  It has a Xeon 1630 v3. I've added 8gb of ddr4 2133 memory.  Tried to install 2 16gb sticks of ddr4 ecc memory, but it didn't like that.  My issue is this.  I power it up, the fans spin, front panel lights flash occasionally, but there is no video output.  The motherboard for some reason doesn't have any video output of any kind.  I guess it relies on a GPU for video output.  I have tried an old quadro 310 and two different gt 1030's and the monitor detects that its plugged in, but there is no output.  There are 2 pciex16 slots and I have tried both of them.  The bios does seem to post since one configuration of ram causes it to beep twice continually when booted.  After it's been on for more than 5 minutes a yellow warning light comes on.  Lenovo says it's a diagnostic mode usually caused by there being no boot drive.  I'm supposed to be able to plug in a usb and get diagnostic data downloaded to a usb drive, but have had no success with that.  I have a windows 10 install usb plugged into the front and have tried all the ports.  I can find very little info about this PC and Lenovo's support pages are useless.  Someone on a forum mentioned moving some diagnostic jumpers around.  That didn't work either.  Any ideas?  Hopefully the motherboard isn't toast. 

PXL_20240529_012802715.jpg

PXL_20240529_012817862.jpg

Have you tried to reset the bios by removing the cr2032? It might have and old and bizarre config that posing the system to not boot.

No LGA2011-3 Xeons have onboard graphics, so the only reason the motherboard would have a video port would be if it had a built-in graphics adapter. (This is common on server boards with IPMI, but less so on workstations.) 

Registered ECC RAM should work with your CPU, but you can't mix it with regular unbuffered RAM. 

If you attempt to start the machine with no RAM installed at all, do you get an error code from the power light and/or speaker?

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Yes I have removed the CMOS Battery a few times.  Both stick of ram were ECC and I get three short one long beep if there is no ram in the system.

Tried a lot of other things, non of which worked.  A spare motherboard I got off ebay for $30 arrived today.  After swapping the motherboard it boots fine.  Must have been a bad motherboard.