Thoughts On My Upcoming Build

Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
4 minutes ago, Debatable6535 said:

Someone else told me the Z5 Neo is actually meant for AMD EXPO whereas the regular Z5 variant is meant for Intel XMP. So I'll definitely be going with the Neo.

Technically that's true, but it's not actually that big a deal. XMP works on AMD just fine, just as how EXPO works just fine on Intel as well. I would still opt for the 6000 CL30 kit between those two, but not because of it being EXPO, because the 6400MT/s is in the no-mans-land for Ryzen memory speeds. It would either be in 2:1 mode by default and have terrible performance compared to the 6000 CL30 kit, or it would be in 1:1 mode and be ~50/50 whether it would even be stable for a relatively minimal performance uplift. Unless you really know what you're doing, get a 6000 CL30/32 kit on Ryzen 7000. 

8 minutes ago, Debatable6535 said:

And yeah, the power supply limit was at the forefront of my mind when building this out. I may have to get a cheaper 4090 in case I need to buy a PSU as well. I'm hoping not though because I bought the case specifically for the CONNECT module, and they don't offer it with anything higher than 850 watts. 

850W is fine for this config, 4090s aren't really that bad with transients, and since the 7800X3D draws basically no power, you're unlikely to max out a good 850W unit. 

42 minutes ago, Macfox38 said:

I'm not sure whether or not the 7800X3D can keep up with a 4090(Im an intel builder so my AMD knowledge is limited)

The 7800X3D is the fastest gaming CPU money can buy, it'll keep up just fine. 

1 hour ago, Debatable6535 said:

2. I'm thinking about going to a one tower CPU cooler, but I don't know of any highly reviewed and well regarded one

There are a couple, but the problem with them is that they only really save you ~$5-10 when compared to the Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120, so for a system when that price difference is a rounding error, they make no sense to go for. 

Some other notes about the system, that storage config is a bit weird. For nearly the same price you could just go full SSD, so you might as well. I'm also not that big a fan of the motherboard since comparable offerings like the B650 LiveMixer and B650 Gaming X are both a fair bit cheaper with basically the exact same features. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZKtcn6

Budget (including currency): $3,700

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RHJjVW

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($344.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Phantom Spirit EVO 69 CFM CPU Cooler  ($49.90 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard  ($213.18 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory  ($214.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($86.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($159.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Seagate FireCuda 4 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($94.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GAMING OC GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card  ($1779.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: SeaSonic SYNCRO Q704 ATX Mid Tower Case 
Case Fan: SeaSonic MAGFLOW 63.33 CFM 120 mm Fan  ($32.54 @ Newegg) 
Case Fan: SeaSonic MAGFLOW 63.33 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack  ($112.99 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: AOC Q27G3XMN 27.0" 2560 x 1440 180 Hz Monitor 
Total: $3534.52

A few things to note:

1. I'd like to game and watch entertinment at 4K when I can afford a 4K monitor with HDR, but I'm having to settle for the $280 1440p monitor with HDR for now. Monitors Unboxed rated it well though, so I'm OK with it.

2. I'm thinking about going to a one tower CPU cooler, but I don't know of any highly reviewed and well regarded ones.

3. I have two choices of RAM in the configuration because I'm unsure which one is the better choice. Any help would be appreciated. It was brought to my attention that the Trident Z5 is specifically for Intel AMP, and the Trident Z5 Neo for AMD EXPO. I removed the Trident Z5 variant from the build.

4. I have the case already. I also have the Seasonic DCP-850 w/ CONNECT module, which is a 80+ Platinum rated 850 watt PSU. This build will be pushing that limit with the fans.

5. If anyone could check out the case fan configurations and let me know what you think, then I'd appreciate it. The case can support 8 fans, and I'm looking for neutral pressure at minimum (4 intake & 4 exhaust), but I'd prefer positive pressure (7 intake & 1 exhaust) as I live in a dusty place with lots of dirt.

6. I actually plan on ordering the ARGB Magflow fans. They just don't have a listed price on PCPartPicker, so I'm using the non-ARGB variant to substitute as a price holder.

Overall looks alright. I'm not sure whether or not the 7800X3D can keep up with a 4090(Im an intel builder so my AMD knowledge is limited). With the memory id save the 3 bucks and get the CL30, better timing is just worth it. 

Biggest concern is the PSU, 850 is a stretch to expect it to handle that kind of a system. 4090s have been known to have power spikes of nearly 800W leaving a measly 50W to run the rest of the system. i usuall recommend atleast 200W headroom out of PSU. 

The Fan config should be fine. my usual config is a slightly negative pressure but i may not have the same dust issue. 

Technology is like a good friend that does its best to piss you off at every turn. yet we love them anyway. 

28 minutes ago, Macfox38 said:

With the memory id save the 3 bucks and get the CL30, better timing is just worth it. 

Biggest concern is the PSU, 850 is a stretch to expect it to handle that kind of a system. 4090s have been known to have power spikes of nearly 800W leaving a measly 50W to run the rest of the system. i usuall recommend atleast 200W headroom out of PSU. 

Someone else told me the Z5 Neo is actually meant for AMD EXPO whereas the regular Z5 variant is meant for Intel XMP. So I'll definitely be going with the Neo.

And yeah, the power supply limit was at the forefront of my mind when building this out. I may have to get a cheaper 4090 in case I need to buy a PSU as well. I'm hoping not though because I bought the case specifically for the CONNECT module, and they don't offer it with anything higher than 850 watts. 

Technically that's true, but it's not actually that big a deal. XMP works on AMD just fine, just as how EXPO works just fine on Intel as well. I would still opt for the 6000 CL30 kit between those two, but not because of it being EXPO, because the 6400MT/s is in the no-mans-land for Ryzen memory speeds. It would either be in 2:1 mode by default and have terrible performance compared to the 6000 CL30 kit, or it would be in 1:1 mode and be ~50/50 whether it would even be stable for a relatively minimal performance uplift. Unless you really know what you're doing, get a 6000 CL30/32 kit on Ryzen 7000. 

8 minutes ago, Debatable6535 said:

850W is fine for this config, 4090s aren't really that bad with transients, and since the 7800X3D draws basically no power, you're unlikely to max out a good 850W unit. 

42 minutes ago, Macfox38 said:

I'm not sure whether or not the 7800X3D can keep up with a 4090(Im an intel builder so my AMD knowledge is limited)

The 7800X3D is the fastest gaming CPU money can buy, it'll keep up just fine. 

1 hour ago, Debatable6535 said:

2. I'm thinking about going to a one tower CPU cooler, but I don't know of any highly reviewed and well regarded one

There are a couple, but the problem with them is that they only really save you ~$5-10 when compared to the Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120, so for a system when that price difference is a rounding error, they make no sense to go for. 

Some other notes about the system, that storage config is a bit weird. For nearly the same price you could just go full SSD, so you might as well. I'm also not that big a fan of the motherboard since comparable offerings like the B650 LiveMixer and B650 Gaming X are both a fair bit cheaper with basically the exact same features. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZKtcn6

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/k9qxJy

got rid of 2 glaring issues

the slow outdated and overpriced 980 pro alongside the hdd (pretty stupid at this budget) have been replaced with a 2tb m570 and a 4tb vi7000g

b650 tomahawk is just awful value when the b650e taichi lite is 27$ extra but is a top of the line b650 with postcode, eclk for overclocking that 7800x3d, a boatload of high speed usb 3 ports, even a usb 4 port on the rear i/o. an alternative choice if you wish to run a 2nd gpu or whatever that needs extra pcie lanes from the cpu theres the b650 proart at 230$

12 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Unless you really know what you're doing, get a 6000 CL30/32 kit on Ryzen 7000. 

I do not. Lol. This is my first computer build, so I'll go for what is 100% going to be stable. The clock speed difference isn't that big anyways.

Thank God. I bought this case because of the CONNECT module, and they don't offer it with anything above a 850 watt PSU. Otherwise I'd have bought it back when I bought the case. I'll be e-mailing Seasonic to order the fans, so I may suggest it to them. I highly doubt it will get made though. It's a very niche product as is.

I'm not really concerned with the price of the air cooler. I just think a one tower cooler is more aesthetically pleasing. I'm just not sure if they'll cool as well as a two tower. I guess that really comes down to your thermal paste. Which I forgot to add to the build.

Plus, all the promotional material from Seasonic show it with a one tower cooler, and I just want to make sure there won't be any clearance issues with something.

Yeah, it is weird. But I did put some though into it. I reinstall Windows every year, so the smaller SSD is strictly for Windows. I've always put my games on a second drive so I don't have to go through the process of downloading them after each reinstall. All that needs doing is to point Steam back at the correct drive and everything works just fine. The 4TB Firecuda drive is for my photos, documents, downloads, and my fledgling collection of movies and music that I plan to rip. The case can support two HDDs and three SSDs, but I'm only starting with one because the Firecuda comes with a three year recovery warranty. I'd like to max it all out in the future.

As for the motherboard, I'll take a look at the ones you mentioned. Someone else mentioned the B650E Taichi Lite, and someone on PCPartPicker suggested a MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk for the extra PCIe lanes. I got a lot to compare now.

I really appreciate you taking the time to provide me with some suggestions.

11 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

the slow outdated and overpriced 980 pro alongside the hdd (pretty stupid at this budget) have been replaced with a 2tb m570 and a 4tb vi7000g

b650 tomahawk is just awful value when the b650e taichi lite is 27$ extra but is a top of the line b650 with postcode, eclk for overclocking that 7800x3d, a boatload of high speed usb 3 ports, even a usb 4 port on the rear i/o. an alternative choice if you wish to run a 2nd gpu or whatever that needs extra pcie lanes from the cpu theres the b650 proart at 230$

Let me start off by thanking you for taking the time out to review my build.

To call the storage configuration "pretty stupid" is a bit rude. I had it configured this way for a reason. One drive for Windows because I do yearly reinstalls, one drive for games, and one drive for photos, documents, and the media that I rip. The reason I chose the Firecuda was because it comes with a three year recovery warranty. At some point in the future I plan on doing two HDD in RAID so that I don't have to worry about the warranty running out.

I will take a look at the Taichi Lite though. I've been given a few different recommendations, so I'll compare and decide.

I guess that really comes down to your thermal paste. Which I forgot to add to the build.

Not really, the thermal paste doesn't matter that much as most of the decent pastes perform within 2-3C of each other. Also pretty much every cooler comes with thermal paste, so no need to buy some separately. Also the case is big enough to handle the biggest CPU coolers, I wouldn't worry about the CPU cooler not fitting in there whether its dual or single tower. 

6 minutes ago, Debatable6535 said:

As for the motherboard, I'll take a look at the ones you mentioned. Someone else mentioned the B650E Taichi Lite, and someone on PCPartPicker suggested a MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk for the extra PCIe lanes. I got a lot to compare now.

B650 Taichi Lite is decent, though realistically you're not going to need the extra features it offers. The X670E Tomahawk is in that same boat, where unless you have a specific need for it, there are better options that exist. 

10 minutes ago, Debatable6535 said:

Yeah, it is weird. But I did put some though into it. I reinstall Windows every year, so the smaller SSD is strictly for Windows. I've always put my games on a second drive so I don't have to go through the process of downloading them after each reinstall. All that needs doing is to point Steam back at the correct drive and everything works just fine. The 4TB Firecuda drive is for my photos, documents, downloads, and my fledgling collection of movies and music that I plan to rip. The case can support two HDDs and three SSDs, but I'm only starting with one because the Firecuda comes with a three year recovery warranty. I'd like to max it all out in the future.

Even then, I'd still change it out slightly. Good 1TB SSDs can be had for the same price as that 500GB 980 Pro, and coming from experience, filling up a 500GB boot SSD isn't that hard on accident. Then as for the 4TB HDD, its at a point where price per gigabyte is not actually that great compared to its 8TB cousins, so put that $50 you're saving on the motherboard and go for double the capacity. 4TB is at that weird no-mans land where it can make sense to go HDD, but usually going for a higher capacity drive makes much more sense or just going SSD. 

22 minutes ago, Debatable6535 said:

To call the storage configuration "pretty stupid" is a bit rude. I had it configured this way for a reason. One drive for Windows because I do yearly reinstalls, one drive for games, and one drive for photos, documents, and the media that I rip. The reason I chose the Firecuda was because it comes with a three year recovery warranty. At some point in the future I plan on doing two HDD in RAID so that I don't have to worry about the warranty running out.

i was just calling the hdd choice stupid cause at this budget it is pretty odd to have a rather low capacity disk, might make more sense if it was a 10tb+ drive cause thats actual mass storage, the config itself is odd but functional

and btw if you wanna back data up youll probably wanna buy a few of these hdds with copies of your data and also a cloud backup, if one fails there are multiple backups to take its place and no data is lost unless you forgot to backup, ive definitely learned the hard way that i should back stuff up that i think is really important but unfortunately i was kid and i had no freaking clue so now the photo i most treasure is stuck on a phone that refuses to boot past the logo and i think im gonna have to bring it to a data recovery center

for the windows drive you really dont need anything that beefy, just a regular 1/2tb gen3/4 will do just fine and everything else on a 4tb gen4, if you need a properly high speed drive a 4tb gen 5 like the t700/t705 will do

taichi lite if you want all the bells and whistles (usb4, lots of usb3, postcode, eclk for x3d oc, etc.), proart if you wanna run dual gpu or have a card that benifits from being provided cpu lanes

i genuinely cant see a reason why youd go for the x670e tomahawk as it only offers 1 extra m.2 slot while downgrading the i/o and costing more, atleast the proart can bifurcate the pcie x16 slots if you wanna run dual gpus or have a card that benifits from cpu lanes but the tomahawk cant even do that and barely has any chipset lanes allocated to the pcie slots

36 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

B650 Taichi Lite is decent, though realistically you're not going to need the extra features it offers. The X670E Tomahawk is in that same boat, where unless you have a specific need for it, there are better options that exist.

Noted. I'll be sure to factor that in.

36 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Even then, I'd still change it out slightly. Good 1TB SSDs can be had for the same price as that 500GB 980 Pro, and coming from experience, filling up a 500GB boot SSD isn't that hard on accident. Then as for the 4TB HDD, its at a point where price per gigabyte is not actually that great compared to its 8TB cousins, so put that $50 you're saving on the motherboard and go for double the capacity. 4TB is at that weird no-mans land where it can make sense to go HDD, but usually going for a higher capacity drive makes much more sense or just going SSD. 

I'll definitely rethink the storage configuration then. If I can get an 8TB drive for not much more, then I probably will.