GTC Japan 2015 - Minor Details on NVIDIA's Pascal and Volta Revealed

HKZeroFive

PASCAL

post-237505-0-81429800-1442628296.jpg

Introduced at the end of the keynote, was the future of the GPUs "Pascal" and "Volta". Showing them along with Maxwell, Mr. Hamilton presented the GPU roadmap, displaying the 'world's best double-precision computing power' of Pascal's broadband memory paired with NVLink to show five times of the performance of PCI Express 3.0; unified to achieve the sharing of memory. It was said that the memory is mounted.

post-237505-0-44343800-1442628461.jpg

Presumably, this mounted memory is what we call HBM2. I'm guessing that NVLink plays a massive part when used with HBM2 memory, but I could be wrong. Using my very basic Japanese, I can translate the four titles in the slide above being (top left to right, then bottom left to right):

-Performance

-Memory Bandwith (probably linked with HBM2)

-NVLINK - High-speed Interconnector

-Unified Memory

Overall, only the features of Pascal were revealed, and didn't reveal or confirm any specifications.

VOLTA

post-237505-0-31975000-1442629362.jpg

For Volta, Asaumi Takashi of Japan IBM's high-end Systems Division director is on stage. It was revealed to be adopted in two of HPCs of SUMMIT and SIERRA. Both systems are equipped with IBM POWER9 to CPU, that implement NVLink to interconnect. A machine that boasts 40TFLOPs per node performance, and is scheduled to run in 2017.

Again, no real actual specifications (which is fair, since we still haven't got Pascal yet). But it looks like Volta has great capabilities as a workstation/server GPU.

Sauce: http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20150918_722007.html

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Some people be like: "Should I get a 980ti or wait for volta?"

Case: NZXT phantom CPU:I5-4460 GPU:MSI-GTX1070 Gaming X RAM:2x4Gb-DDR3-HyperX fury MOBO:Asus Z97-P HDD:Toshiba 1Tb 7200rpm PSU:Sentey650W

cool. then I guess i ill upgrade to volta when my 780 becomes outdated :D

also. volta. what a cool name !

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

NVLink is not an Internet connector.

lol

he probably meant "internal" connector?

As in inside the PCIe lane?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

This, that says "Interconnector"

cool. then I guess i ill upgrade to volta when my 780 becomes outdated :D

also. volta. what a cool name !

Well, Nvidia actually names their architectures in honor of the most important physicists

Case: NZXT phantom CPU:I5-4460 GPU:MSI-GTX1070 Gaming X RAM:2x4Gb-DDR3-HyperX fury MOBO:Asus Z97-P HDD:Toshiba 1Tb 7200rpm PSU:Sentey650W

Well, Nvidia actually names their architectures in honor of the most important physicists

Where's "Edison"?

I know. and I understand the refferences

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Where's "Edison"?

He was not a physicist.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Where's "Edison"?

thats fractal design's psu

also not a physicist. actually.

Where's "Edison"?

Not so much, Tesla, volta and Maxwell were more important,

thats fractal design's psu

also not a physicist. actually.

He was not a physicist.

True, more of a businessman and inventor who made our lives easier than laying groundwork and revolutionary theories.

True, more of a businessman and inventor who made our lives easier than laying groundwork and revolutionary theories.

Without Volta or Maxwell, Edison couldn't have done anything

Ah, that cringy moment when your bad Japanese is just being bad. Fixed it now.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Gonna go SLI Pascal. 

[ Cruel Angel ]:     Exterior  -   BENQ XL2420T   |   SteelSeries MLG Sensei   |   Corsair K70 RED   |   Corsair 900D  |                                                                                                    CPU:    -   4.7Ghz @ 1.425v             |

Interior    -   i7 4770k   |    Maximus VI Formula    |   Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB    |   ASUS GTX 980 Strix SLIx2  |  840 Pro 512Gb    |    WD Black 2TB  |           RAM:   -   2400Mhz OC @ 1.650v    |

Cooling   -   XSPC 120mm x7 Total Radiator Space   |   XSPC RayStorm    |    PrimoChill Tubing/Res  |                                                                                             GPU:   -   1000Mhz @ 1.158            |

Where's "Edison"?

Not an important physicist. Great engineer, but hardly a physicist.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

One thing to note is that the first graph shows performance / watt, so the performance gain kind of depend on the efficiency gains.

Not an important physicist. Great engineer, but hardly a physicist.

the more you look at Edison the more you realize he was kind of a jerk who didnt invent much of anything and had a team of inventors working for him

Where's Einstein? Hawkins? Cooper? :P

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

the more you look at Edison the more you realize he was kind of a jerk who didnt invent much of anything and had a team of inventors working for him

he was still a somewhat talented engineer but he was a much better businessman, yes he didn't invent a tone of things but he was very good at taking things and turning them into a marketable product. a shame by all accounts that he was a bit of a bully in the world of business.

lol

he probably meant "internal" connector?

As in inside the PCIe lane?

You're close. Its a proprietary replacement for PCIe, or at least that's what was heavily implied by the details leaked last year. 

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB