Fourteen Year Old Student Arrested For Bringing Homemade Clock to School

Rune

Mistreated my ass. It's like bringing a fake gun into school it doesn't matter if it's real or if you made it yourself, you can't do that.

this is what it looks like, sketchy as hell.

Honestly it looks nothing like a bomb. Maybe like a movie bomb. Almost.

But that doesn't matter. Not one teacher though it was a bomb. Not one. Want proof? The school wasn't evacuated. If they had even the slightest guess that it was a bomb... Nobody would have been there. He was sent to the office until the police arrived.

But that doesn't matter. Not one teacher though it was a bomb. Not one. Want proof? The school wasn't evacuated. If they had even the slightest guess that it was a bomb... Nobody would have been there. He was sent to the office until the police arrived.

Everything obvious has been said bombs don't look like they do in the movies. One shouldnt automatically assume a bomb is possessed by a child. And being middle eastern is not a sure fire sign of terrorism. Anything else?

11999035_10102703163575696_6035086254477

-snip-

Supposedly the one on the right is a Honeywell Demo Kit, so it kind of undermines your point. See http://www.symbioticpublishing.com/BS/articles/MaltaOuter.shtml.

EDIT: Some other sources say it's a demolition controller. Zooming in on the image, it says "Charge Demolition M112" on the bottom. ...there's a lot of doubt as to what this is, but I haven't seen a link to any case of someone trying to blow up an airport or public location with this thing.

See now it's posts like this that start assumptions and the spread of misinformation like wildfire. That second image there...the one that's "an actual suitcase bomb", bullshit, right out the door, no collecting 200 dollars, thank you for playing ... bullshit.

It is a wonderful image of a Honeywell Security Sales demo kit though, I'll give it that.

See now it's posts like this that start assumptions and the spread of misinformation like wildfire. That second image there...the one that's "an actual suitcase bomb", bullshit, right out the door, no collecting 200 dollars, thank you for playing ... bullshit.

It is a wonderful image of a Honeywell Security Sales demo kit though, I'll give it that.

Ok, I guess we'll all play the politically correct game of pretending the item doesn't look like a bomb.

rfbikJz.jpg

Ok, I guess we'll all play the politically correct game of pretending the item doesn't look like a bomb.

rfbikJz.jpg

I'm guessing you don't realize yet how idiotic this post looks. Let's take a moment and think about the situation, we have a potential crisis here involving a likely highly unstable "homemade bomb". It's at a school, during normal hours so several hundred students and staff are there and potentially at risk. Teachers are involved and call the police who upon arrival do what? Evacuate the school and call in the bomb squad to investigate the suspicious "device" ...nope, they question the kid about his clock then handcuff him. Why? Because it was obvious to even those with IQ's just above lukewarm cottage cheese  that it wasn't a bomb and no one was at risk of anything more then being on time.

rfbikJz.jpg

Well then maybe you should have started an evacuation and called a bomb squad instead of wasting time calling the regular police for a second opinion.

I'm guessing you don't realize yet how idiotic this post looks. Let's take a moment and think about the situation, we have a potential crisis here involving a likely highly unstable "homemade bomb". It's at a school, during normal hours so several hundred students and staff are there and potentially at risk. Teachers are involved and call the police who upon arrival do what? Evacuate the school and call in the bomb squad to investigate the suspicious "device" ...nope, they question the kid about his clock then handcuff him. Why? Because it was obvious to even those with IQ's just above lukewarm cottage cheese  that it wasn't a bomb and no one was at risk of anything more then being on time.

The police have to respond though and have certain guidelines they must follow even if they know for a fact it isn't a bomb, which they knew. They wanted to charge him for creating a movie bomb—that is a fake bomb.

And how do we know they didn't try to evacuate the school? If they didn't, obviously a really stupid move on their part, but I haven't seen anything that denies or confirms it.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

The police have to respond though and have certain guidelines they must follow even if they know for a fact it isn't a bomb, which they knew. They wanted to charge him for creating a movie bomb—that is a fake bomb.

And how do we know they didn't try to evacuate the school? If they didn't, obviously a really stupid move on their part, but I haven't seen anything that denies or confirms it.

It was mentioned he was pulled out of class during sixth period and the device was taken from him earlier. Seems to imply no evacuation to me.

It was mentioned he was pulled out of class during sixth period and the device was taken from him earlier. Seems to imply no evacuation to me.

How does that imply the others weren't evacuated? :huh:

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

How does that imply the others weren't evacuated? :huh:

...was he pulled out of a class where he was the only one there? otherwise, why would they evacuate the building earlier and then allow the students to return before calling police? This entire situation doesn't make any sense. it was poorly handled from the start..

Edit: Ah, I see what you mean. Well, if not a single news source mentioned it that would be pretty bad reporting.

...was he pulled out of a class where he was the only one there? otherwise, why would they evacuate the building earlier and then allow the students to return before calling police?

this entire situation doesn't make any sense. it was poorly handled from the start..

That's probably when they took him aside to retrieve the "bomb". They could have easily attempted to evacuate the school right after calling him out.

That's probably when they took him aside to retrieve the "bomb". They could have easily attempted to evacuate the school right after calling him out.

If I read the articles correctly, it was taken away earlier in the day.

I hope people know this is in a Texas school. So you guys can stop with the hateful comments about the free educational schools we have in this Country.

That doesn't also allow you to make fun of Texans as well, blame the teacher and police who drastically over exaggerated the situation to this level.

But then again that does look pretty sketchy, but then again he did saw it was a clock, but still however if the police just simply examined it real quick they oughtn't realized that nothing was attached to said briefcase that looked like an explosive.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Local Muslims are telling people don't blame the school or the police, blame the politicians and the government.

If I read the articles correctly, it was taken away earlier in the day.

I thought they just looked at it earlier and allowed him to continue class? I'll reread. Either way though, we have no idea what else happened...

Local Muslims are telling people don't blame the school or the police, blame the politicians and the government.

I thought they just looked at it earlier and allowed him to continue class? I'll reread. Either way though, we have no idea what else happened...

He originally kept it in his bag during English class, but his teacher heard it beep during the lesson — when Ahmed showed her his home-made clock at the end of class, she took it away from him. In sixth period, the school principal came for Ahmed with a police officer in tow, arresting him and marching him out of school

So it happened after it was taken away, if the verge's phrasing was correct. but yeah...it doesn't really say for certain.

"He said he took it to school on Monday to show an engineering teacher, who said it was nice but then told him he should not show the invention to other teachers. Later, Ahmed’s clock beeped during an English class, and after he revealed the device to the teacher, school officials notified the police, and Ahmed was interrogated by officers."

"Irving police chief, Larry Boyd, said at a news conference on Wednesday that the officers were justified in detaining the teenager based on the information they had at the time, when initially it was “not immediately evident that” Ahmed’s clock was a class experiment. He added, however, that the police had “no evidence to support that there was an intention to create an alarm.” "

"At a separate briefing, Irving Police Chief Larry Boyd said that the arresting officers determined Mohamed’s device was not a bomb, which is why the school was not evacuated." - http://www.dailydot.com/politics/ahmed-mohamed-hoax-bomb-clock-suspended-charges-dropped/

Sources: http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/16/9335965/ahmed-mohamed-14-year-old-arrested-clock-hoax-bomb

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/community-news/northwest-dallas-county/headlines/20150915-irving-9th-grader-arrested-after-taking-homemade-clock-to-school-so-you-tried-to-make-a-bomb.ece

A brief attempt to summarize: The student built a clock and put it in a pencil case and brought it to school to show his engineering teacher. This teacher approved, but apparently others didn't. It made a beeping noise and police were called. He was handcuffed and taken away after being briefly interrogated, and is now suspended from returning to school. The police are also considering whether or not to place charges on him, while the device was described as being built with "a circuit board and power supply wired to a digital display, all strapped inside a case with a tiger hologram on the front."

He's wearing a shirt with the nasa logo on it. I have rarely been more disappointed in my country.

I should note, he was released from custody after a few hours.

Edit 9/16: The police are no longer thinking of pressing charges, and the president has invited him to the white house, and Mark Zuckerberg has invited him to FBHQ!

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/obama-invites-suspended-muslim-teen-to-the-white-house/ar-AAenDFU?ocid=ansmsnnews11

https://www.facebook.com/zuck/posts/10102373304096361?pnref=story

https://www.facebook.com/PeacehouseUS/videos/459601860888737/

You nailed it sir.

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

This teacher approved, but apparently others didn't. It made a beeping noise and police were called.

argue any point of view that you will, but this right here is the key.  His teacher looked at it, and approved, obviously he saw that it was not a bomb.  what makes this whole thing wrong is the fact that the police were called and he was arrested after this.

(this post isn't directed at Rune, just using his quote)

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

*About 2 minutes into reading the comments*

GwDvgER_700wa_0.gif

Seriously though. Suit cases are great project cases, they are light weight, rugged, cheap, and easily modified. DIYers love them. Clocks are common and also great projects for kids. They are relatively simple to put together while teaching you a lot of skills and stuff about electronics. I feel like this was an honest mistake completely blown out of porportion by over-authoritarian/power-tripping school administrators and teachers (you don't have to look very far in the news for more examples of this), a slightly naive kid (it does look like a bomb to someone who doesn't know anything about bombs other than what they saw on *insert bad cop show here*), and a country that would sooner say it's racist than attack the underlying issue of it all; how authoritarian our country has become. If they thought he had a real bomb, they should have called it in to 911 who would have dispatched officers and bomb squad to clear the area immediately. They knew damn well there was no bomb, and I'd happily argue what they did to this kid was boarder-line harassment. (edit: that being calling the police instead of just giving him detention or suspending him, even that is way too far in my opinion).

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

The way I see it, something good came out of something bad. He got an invite to visit the campus of his dream school MIT, a reserved spot from Google for their science fair, and so on and so forth. I wish him luck. 

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

It looked like a bomb to me

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

He overclocked to the extreme and the teacher got jealous of his overclock.

- CPU: Intel i7 3770 - GPU: MSI R9 390 - RAM: 16GB of DDR3 - SSD: Crucial BX100 - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB -