Smoking Barrels - LTT's Unnofficial Gun Club!

Jack.EXE
2 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

so durability is a bigger factor for myself.

Biggest factor to me too. Between a class 3 and being out in the woods I'd rather not have to worry about it being fragile. Ideally, it's quiet enough with 6.5 that I wouldn't need to use ear pro out in the woods. I'm not too worried about 5.56 being that quiet, but not echoing all down the valley is more of what I'm going for with that. 

Out of curiosity are you using subsonic 5.56 or trying to quiet completely through the suppressor? I've found a couple videos on it and it seems like it isn't that good without subsonic on 5.56. Videos of it with 6.5 seem like it's the ticket to what I want. With a 24 inch barrel it's already very close to being quiet enough at the stock. It's fine for a round or two without ear pro but gets a little bit ringy after that. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

2 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

Biggest factor to me too. Between a class 3 and being out in the woods I'd rather not have to worry about it being fragile. Ideally, it's quiet enough with 6.5 that I wouldn't need to use ear pro out in the woods. I'm not too worried about 5.56 being that quiet, but not echoing all down the valley is more of what I'm going for with that. 

Out of curiosity are you using subsonic 5.56 or trying to quiet completely through the suppressor? I've found a couple videos on it and it seems like it isn't that good without subsonic on 5.56. Videos of it with 6.5 seem like it's the ticket to what I want. With a 24 inch barrel it's already very close to being quiet enough at the stock. It's fine for a round or two without ear pro but gets a little bit ringy after that. 

I do not use any subsonic 5.56, as subsonic 5.56 is kind of useless and a real bitch to get to cycle. 99% of what I shoot in 5.56 is either M193 clone or Mk262 clone. On 5.56 guns (and most centerfire rifles for that matter) suppressors really just take the edge off of the noise. 

Any supersonic cartridge is going to be loud no matter what you do as the suppressor cant do anything about the sonic crack. Center fire rifle suppressors are nothing like the movies, the only real exception to that is subsonic 300BO, which can be pretty freaking quiet. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

2 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

I do not use any subsonic 5.56, as subsonic 5.56 is kind of useless and a real bitch to get to cycle. 99% of what I shoot in 5.56 is either M193 clone or Mk262 clone. On 5.56 guns (and most centerfire rifles for that matter) suppressors really just take the edge off of the noise. 

Any supersonic cartridge is going to be loud no matter what you do as the suppressor cant do anything about the sonic crack. Center fire rifle suppressors are nothing like the movies, the only real exception to that is subsonic 300BO, which can be pretty freaking quiet. 

My dream home defense gun is a suppressed SBR .300BLK for hearing protection reasons.

The main use for suppressors, based on my research, is making it harder for someone to pinpoint the location of the gunshot, especially at distance.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

10 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

My dream home defense gun is a suppressed SBR .300BLK for hearing protection reasons.

The main use for suppressors, based on my research, is making it harder for someone to pinpoint the location of the gunshot, especially at distance.

I opt for 30-06 for home defense so when I get to court I can pretend I can't hear anyone. 

17 minutes ago, fpo said:

I opt for 30-06 for home defense so when I get to court I can pretend I can't hear anyone. 

I pop into this thread every now and then and this was the first thing I read this time, lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

4 hours ago, fpo said:

If you pop off a 30-06 unsuppressed inside a house you're probably not going to have to pretend your deaf.  LoL.

Not that my home defense gun is really any less loud.  Mossberg 500 pump 12ga, running steel BB size shot.  It's not ideal but I live in a modern, poorly build, suburb neighborhood and want to reduce the risk of pellets leaving my house and getting through a neighbors walls.

9 hours ago, vf1000ride said:

It's not ideal but I live in a modern, poorly build, suburb neighborhood and want to reduce the risk of pellets leaving my house and getting through a neighbors walls.

At the moment, I'm taking my chances with high grain hollow points in a 16" AR, but I'm basically in the same boat as you. At least in my neighborhood, the houses are far enough apart that even if a hollow point makes it through my wall, it should lose enough energy to not hurt the neighbors too much.

Not the greatest around, but a little bit of hollow point goes a long way. I know which angles in my house are the safest to shoot down, but discharging .223 in any hallway is definitely gonna make my ears ring for a few days.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

14 hours ago, vf1000ride said:

If you pop off a 30-06 unsuppressed inside a house you're probably not going to have to pretend your deaf.  LoL.

Not that my home defense gun is really any less loud.  Mossberg 500 pump 12ga, running steel BB size shot.  It's not ideal but I live in a modern, poorly build, suburb neighborhood and want to reduce the risk of pellets leaving my house and getting through a neighbors walls.

Have you seen the Brenneke Black Magic slugs? I carry them in my shotgun for bear, but cba to unload them at the house. Best of luck to whomever is on the other end..

hqdefault.jpg

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

6 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

At the moment, I'm taking my chances with high grain hollow points in a 16" AR, but I'm basically in the same boat as you. At least in my neighborhood, the houses are far enough apart that even if a hollow point makes it through my wall, it should lose enough energy to not hurt the neighbors too much.

I'm not too different, my primary home defense gun is my 12" 5.56 SBR with 75gr Hornady TAP.

20210701-153544-1.jpg

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

3 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

Have you seen the Brenneke Black Magic slugs? I carry them in my shotgun for bear, but cba to unload them at the house. Best of luck to whomever is on the other end..

I've seen them and online testing on them but never bought any, not many bear to worry about in central ohio. 

I have 9 pellet OObuck, remington slugs and then sporting loads from 9-7.5 shot for doing all the other shotgun things.  The longest shot I can take inside my house is about 20ft so I'm not loosing alot of velocity at that distance, won't really have much spread yet on the pellets either at that distance.  The BB shot is roughly the same size (.18in) as a .177 caliber airgun bb, I'm using the Winchester Blindside steel waterfowl rounds, 3inch shell, 1400fps, 1 3/8oz so roughly 100 pellets per shell.

My rational is that at 20ft these rounds will do some pretty impressive damage to anything it hits.  I have tried them on watermelon and 4x4 lumber at that distance and it messed them both up rather well.  When you look at the ballistics charts though, steel shot at this size looses roughly half of it's velocity and more than half it's energy by 120 feet.  My hope is that anything that misses it's target inside my house and gets out to roam the neighborhood will not have enough energy left to do any damage by the time it reaches anything else.

Shotgun is a 5+1 and a side carrier with 5 more. I do technically have my EDC .45acp pistol by the bed and a distributed 9mm in another room if needed. 

IMG_5253.JPG

31 minutes ago, vf1000ride said:

I've seen them and online testing on them but never bought any, not many bear to worry about in central ohio. 

I can't for the life of me find any picture of my 870. It, my Glock 23 and AR10 are down in Washington with family. I sent them down there since I was getting ready to move to a place where I couldn't have guns, but my partner has since decided she'd rather be in Alaska then there for other reasons. Which is a shame. I need to get down there and get that AR10 before spring bear opens up. 

Spoiler

aws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20230220T011451Z

20200215_143354.jpg

20180116_113039.jpg

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

54 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

I can't for the life of me find any picture of my 870. It, my Glock 23 and AR10 are down in Washington with family. I sent them down there since I was getting ready to move to a place where I couldn't have guns, but my partner has since decided she'd rather be in Alaska then there for other reasons. Which is a shame. I need to get down there and get that AR10 before spring bear opens up. 

Reveal hidden contents

aws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20230220T011451Z

20200215_143354.jpg

20180116_113039.jpg

Nice clip on your Glock. Pretty neato. 

Shame about your bump stock. 

Would be cool if you didn't have to convert it back to a regular one...

Must be an old picture before you turned it in to an FFL. 

I saw old videos and it looks super goofy to use, but probably so much fun one wouldn't care haha

14 hours ago, fpo said:

Nice clip on your Glock. Pretty neato. 

Having a smaller body frame, 5'8 180lbs, it's really nice not having to carry a holster. Even paddle holsters make them stand out on my side.

14 hours ago, fpo said:

Shame about your bump stock. 

Would be cool if you didn't have to convert it back to a regular one...

Must be an old picture before you turned it in to an FFL. 

It is an old picture. The picture of the Glock is from (I think) 2019, the ARs I was still in my old house so it was before 2018. And that 6.5 Creedmoor was from 2021. It was a shame to get rid of the bump stock. Wasn't accurate at all, but fun to go and just sling lead. Ironically it went round for round with my old M4 carbine. It was for the best that it had to go though. That was what convinced me to get a class 3 stamp for an actual full auto. 

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

26 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Having a smaller body frame, 5'8 180lbs, it's really nice not having to carry a holster. Even paddle holsters make them stand out on my side.

Ahh okay. I can get that. 

I don't tell people in person, but I have a regular black civilian phanny pack, and I carry in that. Got 2 spare mags in there too. I have to sew better pouches cuz the bullets come out of the spare mags. 

I think it's convenient cuz it works with any clothes, it's always in the same spot. Just practice the zip and draw. I'm pretty good at that technique with my practice. 

I got pacsafe cuz it has a steel cable in the strap so thieves have a hard time trying to get it. I saw it was specifically designed for tourists going to Europe haha. 

26 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

It is an old picture. The picture of the Glock is from (I think) 2019, the ARs I was still in my old house so it was before 2018. And that 6.5 Creedmoor was from 2021. It was a shame to get rid of the bump stock. Wasn't accurate at all, but fun to go and just sling lead. Ironically it went round for round with my old M4 carbine. It was for the best that it had to go though. That was what convinced me to get a class 3 stamp for an actual full auto. 

That's awesome. 

I saw some F/A m16 receivers... Empty lower. Like 5~10 grand or something just for that part lol. 

Maybe more, I saw it a number of years ago. 

30 minutes ago, fpo said:

Ahh okay. I can get that. 

I don't tell people in person, but I have a regular black civilian phanny pack, and I carry in that. Got 2 spare mags in there too. I have to sew better pouches cuz the bullets come out of the spare mags. 

I think it's convenient cuz it works with any clothes, it's always in the same spot. Just practice the zip and draw. I'm pretty good at that technique with my practice. 

I got pacsafe cuz it has a steel cable in the strap so thieves have a hard time trying to get it. I saw it was specifically designed for tourists going to Europe haha

There's about 1,000,000 different ways to carry. Doesn't matter how you carry as long as it's what you're comfortable with. Had to have a very long, very real talk with my partner the other month. She's not from a country with guns, but is moving here. I had her out shooting and once she got past the "It looks like a toy" mixed with "scary" she started to love it. All she had ever even really seen were police carrying when SHTF on the very very rare occasion over there, and her grandpa's old double barrel shotgun. She's now talking about conceal carrying one day. Knows she doesn't want a Glock because she wants a more traditional safety she has to manually flip. I had to have the "why do you want to carry, and what do you think it'll accomplish" talk though. Didn't turn her off it, but I've had to use firearms in a self defense capacity before and we had a long talk about the consequences of it. For you, for the other person, for your family, for their family. 

She's not ready for it and knows it, but wants to be one day.

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

7 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

Having a smaller body frame, 5'8 180lbs

As someone slightly taller and a bit lighter than you, I'm not sure how to feel about this.

All I can say is that my physical size was one of the big reasons pushing me towards a Hellcat, or something similarly sized. Eventually went with a Hellcat because I've held and fired one before, and I just can't get over the grip. It's just way too good.

28 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

As someone slightly taller and a bit lighter than you, I'm not sure how to feel about this.

See, I'm still used to saying smaller body frame. When I got out of the Guard at 25 I was still 150lbs. I've always been lanky. That being said, in summer time I wear a lot of t shirts and not much over it. Winter time I can conceal just about anything. I live in Alaska. A sweatshirt and winter jacket will hide anything. 

31 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

All I can say is that my physical size was one of the big reasons pushing me towards a Hellcat, or something similarly sized. Eventually went with a Hellcat because I've held and fired one before, and I just can't get over the grip. It's just way too good.

I grew up in a Glock family. They're what I learned on and about all I can get comfortable with for handguns for some reason. I know there's other great handguns out there, but Glock is what I know if that makes sense. I've shot plenty of others, but have never felt one that I wanted to swap my 23 out for. 

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 minute ago, IkeaGnome said:

See, I'm still used to saying smaller body frame. When I got out of the Guard at 25 I was still 150lbs. I've always been lanky. That being said, in summer time I wear a lot of t shirts and not much over it. Winter time I can conceal just about anything. I live in Alaska. A sweatshirt and winter jacket will hide anything.

Ha, I understand that. I'm a bit taller than you, between 5' 9" and 5' 10" depending on the day, never weighed more than 145 in my life. I wear a lot of t shirts and flannels.

2 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

I grew up in a Glock family. They're what I learned on and about all I can get comfortable with for handguns for some reason. I know there's other great handguns out there, but Glock is what I know if that makes sense. I've shot plenty of others, but have never felt one that I wanted to swap my 23 out for. 

I do love my Glock 22, but even some of the other smaller Glocks I've held just don't feel as nice as the Hellcat. I got nothing against Glocks, but I can definitely understand where you're coming from. I wouldn't say I'm particularly partial or against any brand, but for CCW, I'd rather carry a gun that I can conceal pretty well but still feels really good to shoot. Hellcat fits that bill for me, while also having really good capacity(standard Hellcat is 11+1, with mag extensions available up to 13+1; Hellcat Pro is 15+1 and is still tiny).

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up that Cannon in February lol and this new Kel-Tec KS7 tonight - love me some things that go bang

Keltek.png

FB.jpg

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

On 2/17/2023 at 9:59 PM, fpo said:

What in the world?

I've seen a lot of wacky guns especially because of airsoft, but this is probably the only thing to have blown me away in some time

I don't consider that concealed, if it's not ready to fire when I pull it then it's not concealed carry. Torn down is just stored. But I do see how in some situations this can be useful.

On 2/17/2023 at 10:15 PM, Crunchy Dragon said:

Some company at SHOT Show this year had a lever action lower for an AR.

That is something I would like to include in my collection. Do you have a link or company name I can look up?

On 2/18/2023 at 6:22 PM, Crunchy Dragon said:

Meh, there are a lot of "sources" out there that will try to convince you this was the purpose for suppressors. Maxim invented the suppressor for hunters and the general gun owner for noise suppression safety. Later the mob and military found it useful and pursued the technology to their own use. Because of the mobs use is largely why the regulatory act NFA was created. Sad really.

On 2/20/2023 at 10:46 AM, IkeaGnome said:

On 2/20/2023 at 6:05 PM, Crunchy Dragon said:

Being 6'2" and 300lbs myself I enjoy most weapons with the exception of certain smaller ones because of the large size of my hands. (4inch palm) its hard to hold even a 38 snub nose, I just cant close my hand enough to hold it correctly. I think this why I enjoy the 1911 and my M&P2.0 .45 so much.

Edited by SansVarnic

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

40 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

That is something I would like to include in my collection. Do you have a link or company name I can look up?

It was Bond Arms. Looks like it's supposed to launch officially in about a year

https://www.offgridweb.com/gear/new-bond-arms-lever-action-ar-15/

@SansVarnicyeah not really concealed so to speak but definitely interesting to me. 

Reminds me of the m249 removable barrel. 

The airsoft "featherweight" replica barrel removal works exactly like the real one so I was able to get a sense of how it works. 

6 minutes ago, fpo said:

@SansVarnicyeah not really concealed so to speak but definitely interesting to me. 

Reminds me of the m249 removable barrel.

Wasn't the barrel removable because LMGs produce a ton of heat, and being able to hot(lol)swap the barrel meant your machine gunner had more uptime in a combat zone?

48 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

It was Bond Arms. Looks like it's supposed to launch officially in about a year

https://www.offgridweb.com/gear/new-bond-arms-lever-action-ar-15/

That is one sexy looking rifle... I definitely be getting one of these. Solid looking back up to a malfunctioning AR but also a grand primary hunting rifle. 👍

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Wasn't the barrel removable because LMGs produce a ton of heat, and being able to hot(lol)swap the barrel meant your machine gunner had more uptime in a combat zone?

Pretty much yes.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER