Dumbest Tech Questions/Quotes You've Ever Heard

NInety

I'm an assistant scout master for a boyscout troop and most of the kids know that I'm into computers. I teach various technology merit badges etc. One of the kids came up to me the other day and said his friends computer was NOS (like the racing fuel additive) cooled.

He may of been joking, or he may of been playing too much NFS.

He seemed pretty serious. I just kind laughed, explained to him N2O really doesn't have that great of thermal properties (significantly lower than that of natural air with is primarily N2 and 02 seperately). Explained to him that on occasion people do run LN2 cooling, but if someone is saying they are doing that for a home computer that they are lying to him.

Me :I'm building a gaming pc.

Friend : how much ram are you using?

I hate this so much. Every time someone mentions a powerful computer, first thing everyone asks is how much ram it has. Not which gpu or anything. Just ram.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Me :I'm building a gaming pc.

Friend : how much ram are you using?

I hate this so much. Every time someone mentions a powerful computer, first thing everyone asks is how much ram it has. Not which gpu or anything. Just ram.

and they won;t even be impressed if you say 128 GB because they probably have "1 TB" in their crappy prebuilt :D

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

and they won;t even be impressed if you say 128 GB because they probably have "1 TB" in their crappy prebuilt :D

Or they will tell me their cpu runs at 10ghz or something because 4 cores * 2.5ghz =10ggz, right?

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Or they will tell me their cpu runs at 10ghz or something because 4 cores * 2.5ghz =10ggz, right?

oh no, don't let them know the GPU has thousands of cores :D

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

oh no, don't let them know the GPU has thousands of cores :D

Great. Now i can tell them my gpu runs at 3150 ghz!!!

I had to convince a sales adviser for a national tech retailer (currys/pcworld) here in the UK that the Apple TV  is not an actual TV (she tried to tell me they were releasing one in the "next month or so")... She then tried to convince me to buy a bunch of expensive HDMI cables as "4K wouldn't work on my standard HDMI cables"?! I will stick to Amazon next time. :D  

Helping my best friend on an computer issue over chat and i asked for her computer and OS and she said " Windows Vista 7" 

that was cringeworthy ....  and then she broke her computer lol. xD 

"It's only eight years old. I don't know why it's running so poorly. My car is much older and still runs great."

Explain that the difference is that cars don't get 60% more powerful every year in response to the roads being 60% steeper :)

oh, does my tech noobs example of someone accusing me of scamming for having two identical Gpus to sell after an upgrade count as a dumb question?

'How can you have two identical cards to sell after an upgrade? Must be a scam!'.

I never regretted the amount of abuse I replied to him with.

Linus is my fetish.

My school has these Lenovo computers and moniters, and a USB Sound Bar that clips to the bottom of the monitor and if you want headphones, you need to plug them in to the sound bar, not the front panel I/O. I overheard a conversation between my teacher and a student.

Student: Excuse me, Mrs. *****?

Teacher: Yes, *****?

Student: Why isn't my sound working?

Teacher: Hmmm. Oh, you aren't supposed to plug your headphones into the hard drive, you supposed to put it in the speakers.

Student: Oh, ok. Thanks!

Teacher: No problem!

TIL that a computer is a hard drive.

I also went to a flea market to get som PC hardware, and to sell my printer and I found some hard drives.

Me: Hey, man. What's the price on this hard drive?

Seller 1: The Seagate one?

Me: Yeah. And how much storage does it have? (Was in a case and I couldn't read properly because of the glass)

Seller 1: $5 and it's 250GBs.

Seller 2: (His eyes looked super red, sounded like he was high, and smelled like weed) "Yeah bro... Lot's of gigs... So good..."

I'm not joking, that's exactly what he said.

"I'm not letting you take the "heatsink" cover off so you can clean it, you'll break it!"

-My mother on a heatsink cover that was held in by a screw that hasn't been cleaned in six years

Shipping sucks

My friend said a Mac can run SLI with his TV and that's why Apple is superior in every way

I swear not all of us are dumb...

Primary Build: i7-4790 · 16GB Hynix DDR3-1600 · Sapphire Tri-X R9 390x · NZXT S340 · Win10 Pro · Seagate Barracuda 1TB T_T

Portable: 2015 Retina Macbook Pro 13" · i5-5257u · 512GB PCIe SSD · Intel Iris 6100 T_T

If my post helped you, please rate it!

at I store I worked in, we had a lady call up who'd had her computer for a while but wanted to send an email

she was wondering how to get the @ symbol in an email

when we told her 'shift + 2' she responded with... and i quote...

"I thought that gave you a capital 2"

we laughed about that for years.

i had a computer hardware teacher in college actually hand out a sheet with the names of each component,  the everything together was the cpu, the cpu actually was the processor, the harddrive was just labeled storage, ram was labeled something stupid like backup storage, the monitor was just display.  and then he argued with me about why it was all completely wrong.

What was wrong about what the teacher put down? Sounds like it was just more generalized terms for the same things, in order to give a more conceptual overview of what a computer is.

"I thought that gave you a capital 2"

That is just spectacular  :lol:

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Doc - Why are you cleaning the computer?

Me - There is a lot of dust.

Doc - Don't remove the dust, it keeps the computer warm.

Me - ...

Proceeded to clear 3 years worth of dust, bugs, and random bits in the Case.  Probably one of the nastier cleans I had to do. 

My friend said a Mac can run SLI with his TV and that's why Apple is superior in every way

Lol

i like trains 🙂

Well my nephew said the following;

"I'm going to buy the HTC Vive or PS4 VR headset because then I don't have to upgrade, the Oculus is far too heavy for my PC"

:mellow: Well that's what you get for getting decent graphics and not wanting to puke you idiot.

So many things I could write here... things like this.

Friend: I found the best motherboard for gaming

Me: what is it?

Friend: it's a Windows Xeon GTX 2 TB

Me:those are three different things

Friend: no, i ordered one on eBay. It arrived yesterday. Here it is (holds up a transistor)

Me: Windows is an operating system, Xeon is a type of server processor, GTX is for a GPU, and 2tb are in a hard drive. That is a transistor

Friend: you don't know anything. This is real because it costed $50.

Me: *face slap*

i like trains 🙂

Friend: no, i ordered one on eBay. It arrived yesterday. Here it is (holds up a transistor)

Me: Windows is an operating system, Xeon is a type of server processor, GTX is for a GPU, and 2tb are in a hard drive. That is a transistor

I'd love to hear how he's planning to install it :D

You're making this shit up.

No way that's a real conversation.