Dumbest Tech Questions/Quotes You've Ever Heard

NInety

my brother has a portable hard-drive which has a clip-on cable, a kid asked him if the data is stored in the cable!  :D

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it. :P

Sad part is, they'd probably make serious bank off of that

Yep, unfortunately. Lets hope E Sport players aren't dumb enough to fall for that

PC is Intel Core i5 6400, GIgabyte H170 Gaming 3, Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4GB 2400Mhz ,Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB, WD Blue 1TB, NZXT S340, ASUS Geforce GTX 960. Fractal Design Tesla R2 650W. http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/793XNG. Graphics card choices don't always have to be dictated on performance. If you want the game stream and power consumption of the GTX 970 get that. If you want raw performance of the R9 390 get that. In the end we are all gamers, so what if your buddy gets an extra 5 fps? 

I've been following a support thread on Microsoft's site and one of the MS people asked a user for the model number of their PC.  The guy responded with the screencap below, and I added some context to it lol

89laEWY.jpg

hahaha

This is of the Beats by Dre youtube discussion page.

"Love the Studio Wireless! What's next, maybe a Beats by Dre Gaming Headset?"

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

indians are the most oblivious to technology. really, we call pc towers "CPUs". no one has ever heard of thermal paste and this computer teacher that i one had was crazy faking that she had sick rig at home with a core i7, 16 bg DDR2 ram, and when i asked him about the graphics card he was like why do i need a graphics card? lulz. 

indians are the most oblivious to technology. really, we call pc towers "CPUs". no one has ever heard of thermal paste and this computer teacher that i one had was crazy faking that she had sick rig at home with a core i7, 16 bg DDR2 ram, and when i asked him about the graphics card he was like why do i need a graphics card? lulz. 

the sad part is you can't even use 16gb of ddr 2 .

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

the sad part is you can't even use 16gb of ddr 2 .

and certainly not 16 bg :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I've been following a support thread on Microsoft's site and one of the MS people asked a user for the model number of their PC.  The guy responded with the screencap below, and I added some context to it lol

Just trying to be thorough.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

s

"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another" Ernest Hemingway

I have heard i just thermal pasted my motherboard to the case...

well, it could be done...  :rolleyes:

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

s

"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another" Ernest Hemingway

you could also change the processor with a wrench.  :P

True.  Though I wouldn't recommend it any more than the thermal paste thing

Me perhaps 4-5 months ago- "Hey dude you get some low frames, what graphics card do you have? I myself have an R9 270X."

'Dude'-                                    " I have intel graphics 3000"

Me-                                         "......*facepalm*"

Do I need to screw in my processor and IO shield? (fucking hell that's dumb)

ram is the shit to normal people. having booting problems? add more ram. graphics card failing? add more ram.  cpu her heating? add more ram. 

that's how you end up with 32 gigs of ram on a weak ass pentium setup.

Yeah but you can just download more RAM here...

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

So I'm helping a friend building a pc for the first time, just finishing up and I ask him to plug the HDMI cable from the monitor into the pc. Then he says: "The HDMI cable goes in the HHD? Right! But how do I do that when the HHD is inside the pc?" and looks at me like nothing have ever so confusing to him.

I literally couldn't stop laughing at him and still do every time he asks about computer stuff. Maybe a little rude.

Main Gaming Rig:

[Xeon 1231 v3] - [Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI] - [Noctua NH-U9S] [R9 Nano] - [8GB Corsair Vengnance LP] [Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB] - [Seagate Barrcuda 500GB] [Silverstone SX-500 LG] [M1 Ncases] - [MG279q freesync] - [Vortex Poker 3] [Logitech G502][HE-400I HIFIMAN][Objective2 + ODAC]

So I'm helping a friend building a pc for the first time, just finishing up and I ask him to plug the HDMI cable from the monitor into the pc. Then he says: "The HDMI cable goes in the HHD? Right! But how do I do that when the HHD is inside the pc?" and looks at me like nothing have ever so confusing to him.

I literally couldn't stop laughing at him and still do every time he asks about computer stuff. Maybe a little rude.

Wait so he thought the cable was to be plugged into the hard disk? Is that what you're saying?

EDIT: i really actually didn't know that was a thing, don't laugh at me too ;-;

i get it now.

There was a guy on another forum asking for advice. Then, a dude with 4.8k posts decided to "help", by saying the following (translated):

If your ram is 1600mhz, the FX 6300 will be running with deficit of 4.6GB less data been sent to GPU. That stresses the CPU, and it has to work harder to make up for it.

Yeah.... and to think that the guy's nickname is Oldnoob....... It had to be Brazillian, that explains it.........................

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

• 2 months later...

An enlightening conversation I had with a friend who firmly believes he is the God of computers:

Friend - "I'm running 2 4k screens off my R9 270."

Me - "Umm really? You sure?"

Friend - "Yeah and I get like 60+ fps in pretty much every game."

Me - "Sure you have an R9 270? I'm fairly sure it can't push dual 4k in games..."

Friend - "I know, I thought that too but apparently it works!"

Me - "What's the rest of your system?"

Friend - "I have a 6 core pentium with 3 gigahertz and 512GB of memory."

Me - "Okaaayyyyyyy..... Right so...."

How do i turn the PC on again?

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

Me: Dont worry, I will host the server as I have 12GB of Ram.

Friend: Wow thats tiny, I have 1TB. You are stupid.

Me: You are talking about your HDD m8!

Friend: Oh.

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

"What computer do you have?"

This isn't bad coming from a techie but the non-techies that ask this wouldn't know what computer or was even if it was prebuilt.