Little brother obsessed with getting beats

Giggidy25

So I have a brother. And he wants beats(the headphones). He is like biting at the bit to hand over around $150 to get the solo 2's. From what I know beats are overpriced for what they offer. You pretty much are spending $140 for the little b on the headphones. I have tried thousands of times to get through his head they are a waist of money. Especially since he already had a pair of jvc headphones. Pretty sure they are these ones JVC HA-NC120 On-Ear Noise Canceling Headphones

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=760608&gclid=CjwKEAjw67SvBRC1m5zPv4GboAUSJAB6MJlk3ThIx9nUly3LTFiSgNBR4PXE7AffryGWSc7IYWyXzhoCx5Dw_wcB&Q=&m=Y&is=REG&A=details

Sorry for long link.

Anyways, I realize that he is mostly getting them because they are more a fashion piece then anything, and I give them credit they are appealing to the eye, but srsly. Do I have any chance of raining him back to reality and not wasting his money? Or are somehow these headphones worth that much.

Last thing... To get an idea of what I am dealing with here is someone who can argue that apple is better than Android just by saying its better, who says Xbox is better than pc ( because its better, and I know its his opinion but still, he doesn't even know), and the fact that he has a $500+ laptop that he got for free and uses it to play wizard101 and just recently got Minecraft( which is a start I guess, no steam or anything).

The main reason for this is I don't want him to waste his money on something overpriced like that. So help me back up my case or prove me wrong!!

If he wants to waste his money, let him. Then let him be disappointed by the sound compared to a cheap pair of ath-m50's from AT.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

So I have a brother. And he wants beats(the headphones). He is like biting at the bit to hand over around $150 to get the solo 2's. From what I know beats are overpriced for what they offer. You pretty much are spending $140 for the little b on the headphones. I have tried thousands of times to get through his head they are a waist of money. Especially since he already had a pair of jvc headphones. Pretty sure they are these ones JVC HA-NC120 On-Ear Noise Canceling Headphones

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=760608&gclid=CjwKEAjw67SvBRC1m5zPv4GboAUSJAB6MJlk3ThIx9nUly3LTFiSgNBR4PXE7AffryGWSc7IYWyXzhoCx5Dw_wcB&Q=&m=Y&is=REG&A=details

Sorry for long link.

Anyways, I realize that he is mostly getting them because they are more a fashion piece then anything, and I give them credit they are appealing to the eye, but srsly. Do I have any chance of raining him back to reality and not wasting his money? Or are somehow these headphones worth that much.

Last thing... To get an idea of what I am dealing with here is someone who can argue that apple is better than Android just by saying its better, who says Xbox is better than pc ( because its better, and I know its his opinion but still, he doesn't even know), and the fact that he has a $500+ laptop that he got for free and uses it to play wizard101 and just recently got Minecraft( which is a start I guess, no steam or anything).

The main reason for this is I don't want him to waste his money on something overpriced like that. So help me back up my case or prove me wrong!!

Get him some V-MODA Crossfade's or Audio-Technica ATH-M50's.

Also, show him this: 

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Ask him if he knows who dr.dre is and ask him which group he originated from or you could show him how cheap beats really are 

Sennhiesers all day.

Really don't know what to tell you. It's his opinion, the most you can do is show him cold hard facts,

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Your not going to use them, its like a purse, doesn't matter how much it costs as long as it is functional.

The Grey Squirrel

CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.8GHz - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Z170-E - GPU:  ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL

Case: Inwin 303 - RAM: 4x8GB Corsair LPX Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W

Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired / Bungee Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red Headphone: Sony MDR- 1R

Microphone:  Blue Yeti - Webcam: Logitech C920 - Monitors: 3x Dell S2415H 

I got a pair bundled with my old HTC and the built quality is pretty nice however as commonly know, the sound quality is pretty terrible.

Explain to him that Sennheiser headphones are better, and more of a fashion statement because anyone who actually knows anything about audio will respect you more for having a pair of Sennheiser headphones, and spit on you for having Beats headphones.

Basically, the hipster argument because people who think Beats are good, are so ill-informed that they've never even heard of Sennheiser's.

I got a pair bundled with my old HTC and the built quality is pretty nice however as commonly know, the sound quality is pretty terrible.

Owning a pair of Beats should result in a loss of mod status :P

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Sorry for long link.

if you can't convince him, let him.  Don't get yourself riled up over his stupidity.  If it makes him happy, so be it.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

Beats are for fashion. They're a social status and showoff product, not for enhancing music in any sort of way. Build construction is horrible, in fact there are videos online to prove it and my friends Solo's broke when he accidentally dropped it on the malls floor

It's called hype for a reason

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Im still proudly rocking my Beats Solo 1's, fight me about it all you anti Beats nerds

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Beats are for fashion. They're a social status and showoff product, not for enhancing music in any sort of way. Build construction is horrible, in fact there are videos online to prove it and my friends Solo's broke when he accidentally dropped it on the malls floor

As I pointed out, Sennheiser is more of a fashion statement because they legitimately allow you to talk down to people with beats.

Then again, people with $5 earbuds from the gas station have every right to talk down to people who bought beats headphones.

Even Dr.Dre didn't wear Beats

Dr.-Dre-ATH-M50.jpeg

AT's  :lol:

Too bad the M50x's are overly hyped aswell, wonder where he got his inspirations from..

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

As I pointed out, Sennheiser is more of a fashion statement because they legitimately allow you to talk down to people with beats.

Then again, people with $5 earbuds from the gas station have every right to talk down to people who bought beats headphones.

If I walk up to a random person, it's a good chance that they would have no idea what Senheisers are

If I walk up to a random person, it's a good chance that they would have no idea what Senheisers are

It's as though you think you're amazing because you know what Seinheiser is, many people know what Seinheiser is, they sell it at malls, best buy, frys, microcenter, and the airport (where I had to get a new pair of momentums when my earbuds broke). People simply choose beats for the fashion value.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

Indeed. Giving you the hipster argument: "You don't know about Sennheisers? Do you like, know anything about audio quality?"

I hate myself for arguing in favor of a hipster argument. Still, better than being an ignorant moron who buys beats headphones.

Too bad the M50x's are overly hyped aswell, wonder where he got his inspirations from..

Everything gets over hyped at some point

System: Thinkpad T460

Everything gets over hyped at some point

Especially Post Shredded Wheat Biscuits.