Windows 10 search is really stupid

johnkubik

I hit the windows key and start typing and it never finds what I am looking for. I disabled internet search, so it is only searching "my stuff". I searched for updates, and it didnt find anything. How the heck does it not find any thing for "updates"? Even searching for "windows update settings" does not return anything. This is crap.

its ok for me, if i type  "intel" its gives me intel xtu.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

i did everything, 5 lakh files indexed, but fcking thing still doesnt show the thing i want, even if i go to the folder and find it manually and search that folder, it still says no match found. 

VrT3aQI.png

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

This is what happens when I search for updates.

post-5244-0-19472200-1441452258.png

It seems fine to me. Maybe StartisBack is just more awesome than I thought.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Works fine. The problem seams that the index screws up for some people when you upgrade Windows.

Adding everything like @Rohith_Kumar_Sp is simply bad. It make the system work harder to index everything for instant search, and you crowd your results with files you don't care about like .dll's and so on, making the search worse.

What you need to do is simply rebuild the index. Open the classic Control Panel, and set icons layout to "small" or "large", if it's not already, and open: Indexing Options.

On the Indexing Options panel, click on "Advanced".

Make sure the "Current location:" is set to: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft, and click on the "Rebuild" button at the top/middle. Once you hit the button, the panel or Windows might freeze for a moment, just wait. It will take few seconds and come back. At this stage, search will be horrible, as the index is being worked on. The rebuild process takes time, and the more items you have, the longer it takes. There is no progress bar for the process. You can close the panel, but I would leave the system for an hour or so. It should be working fine at this point in time.

If that doesn't help, return back to the "advanced options" of Index Options panel, and click on "Troubleshoot search and index" and go through it based on your problem. You may need to re-hit that Rebuild button once again.

This is what happens when I search for updates.

It seems fine to me. Maybe StartisBack is just more awesome than I thought.

Nha. It uses Windows APIs, which uses the Indexed Search system of Windows. You can make it yourself. It isn't going to be any better.

Works fine. The problem seams that the index screws up for some people when you upgrade Windows.
Adding everything like @Rohith_Kumar_Sp is simply bad. It make the system work harder to index everything for instant search, and you crowd your results with files you don't care about like .dll's and so on, making the search worse.

What you need to do is simply rebuild the index. Open the classic Control Panel, and set icons layout to "small" or "large", if it's not already, and open: Indexing Options.

On the Indexing Options panel, click on "Advanced".
Make sure the "Current location:" is set to: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft, and click on the "Rebuild" button at the top/middle. Once you hit the button, the panel or Windows might freeze for a moment, just wait. It will take few seconds and come back. At this stage, search will be horrible, as the index is being worked on. The rebuild process takes time, and the more items you have, the longer it takes. There is no progress bar for the process. You can close the panel, but I would leave the system for an hour or so. It should be working fine at this point in time.

If that doesn't help, return back to the "advanced options" of Index Options panel, and click on "Troubleshoot search and index" and go through it based on your problem. You may need to re-hit that Rebuild button once again.

@GoodBytes

I removed everything and only added ONE folder and searched in that folder for the file I was looking for, still doesn't find it. so I gave up on it. 

the point of indexing search is to find things you don't where it is, how do you practically expect someone to only index the folder for they were looking for when they don't even know where the file is, yes i understand adding more stuff can result zero to bad results, but that's not my fault for trying to index things I might look for, that's the whole point of indexing drives. 

I'm sorry, but asking someone to index only what they need is like asking people remember where they lost their phone they wouldn't know where they did. 

and yes,i did delete and rebuild in case you had doubts i did it wrong. 

oGyjRg3.png

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

I removed everything and only added ONE folder and searched in that folder for the file I was looking for, still doesn't find it. so I gave up on it.

Did you wait for it to rebuild? Did you follow the instruction I have given?

the point of indexing search is to find things you don't where it is, how do you practically expect someone to only index the folder for they were looking for when they don't even know where the file is, yes i understand adding more stuff can result zero to bad results, but that's not my fault for trying to index things I might look for, that's the whole point of indexing drives.

No. The point of indexing is that you get to your file or programs instantly. If files aren't index, they will take time to search, and you need to use the search box in a folder. Not the start menu.

I'm sorry, but asking someone to index only what they need is like asking people remember where they lost their phone they wouldn't know where they did.

No. Indexing is like cataloging. If you catalog everything, might as well not have an index system, and simply search through every file one by one, like Windows used to do back in Windows XP days and before, as it will be very slow.

Imagine indexing like putting phone number in a phone book. Which is faster? Using your phone book anytime you need to call someone (say you are old, and you don't understand these darn cellular phone magic boxes), OR Go through, item by item, the yellow pages book, and then the white pages.

In your case, I think the index but search doesn't.

Make sure that Windows Search service is running, and set to automatic. If it is, you may want to consider re-installing Windows 10, as something is definitely broken.

Did you wait for it to rebuild? Did you follow the instruction I have given?

yes, as in the image, the indexing is complete. 

you need to use the search box in a folder. Not the start menu.

as you can see in the image, i did both. i literally searched that file in that folder as well.

and yes,i did delete and rebuild in case you had doubts i did it wrong.

Imagine indexing like putting phone number in a phone book. Which is faster? Using your phone book anytime you need to call someone (say you are old, and you don't understand these darn cellular phone magic boxes), OR Go through, item by item, the yellow pages book, and then the white pages.

i don't know what i'll call tmrw that i did today. i don't know where that phone number is tmrw and search isn't helping.

and i did, i call everyone everyday in all drives, so i had them all indexed.....

In your case, I think the index but search doesn't.

Make sure that Windows Search service is running, and set to automatic. If it is, you may want to consider re-installing Windows 10, as something is definitely broken.

post-21562-0-41112600-1441469435.jpg

Edit : both Auto (delayed start) and auto gives the same result.

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker