16 more Popcorn Time users sued for watching Survivor (not the reality show)

Bouzoo

71djoY%2BolnL._SX425_.jpg

More lawsuits for using Popcorn Time follow after Adam Sandlers The Cobbler thing. This time it's for watching Survivor, not the reality show as stated, but the movie starring Milla Jovovich and Pierce Brosnan.

a64Ohh2.png

"The fight against counterfeiting and piracy are critical issues of importance to the both the United States of America and the State of Oregon," states the complaint. "Popcorn Time exists for one purpose and one purpose only: to steal copyrighted content."

The complaint includes warnings from the Popcorn Time software as exhibits, and it notes that the movie Survivor was promoted to users of the app.

What's more interesting is that the lawsuit was filled by the same attorney, Carl Crowell. I'm sure we will see hear even more from this guy in the future.

This time they are not going for a compensation up to $150,000 but for a minimum of $750.

In an earlier e-mail interview with Ars, Crowell said his client does not seek more than the statutory minimum for damages, which is $750. "The goal is to deter infringement," he said.

But not only 1 lawsuit was filed, Survivor Productions filed 12 individual lawsuits for every user that used BitTorrent to obtain the copy of the movie.

In addition to the Popcorn Time lawsuit, Survivor Productions filed 12 lawsuits against individual users who allegedly used standard BitTorrent technology to get their copies.

What, the last 4 didn't use BitTorrent so they are not going after them?

Once again there is the question, how are they gonna prove who actually did pirate the movie? It could've been almost anyone. And if you though The Cobblers 9% on Rotten Tomatoes was bad, Survivor got 8%.

What have we learned from this? Watch only good (quality) movies and you're good.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

"Defendants"

*Lists IP addresses*

...Good luck with that.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

"Defendants"

*Lists IP addresses*

...Good luck with that.

Yeah this is what I was thinking.  

Don't know how you can legally tie an IP to a real human, maybe just name whoever pays that bill.

Dis track?  Jesus christ why'd we even fight a war?  - Ron Cadillac

I really wish some of these copyright holders would grow a brainstem.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Because ISPs give fixed IP adresses to households, right?

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

The movie only got 8% on RT? Odd. It was not the best movie, but it was not that bad, lol. It's on netflix too, so these people pirating it had no reason to do so other than being cheap. Also, starring Pierce Brosnan? He had so little face time compared to the Resident Evil chick. Almost felt like he was playing a cameo.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

The movie only got 8% on RT? Odd. It was not the best movie, but it was not that bad, lol. It's on netflix too, so these people pirating it had no reason to do so other than being cheap. Also, starring Pierce Brosnan? He had so little face time compared to the Resident Evil chick. Almost felt like he was playing a cameo.

I'l be honest here, haven't watched it, nor do I plan, but since I read everyone was saying starring Pierce Brosnan so did I. I'll rewrite that part.

I'l be honest here, haven't watched it, nor do I plan, but since I read everyone was saying starring Pierce Brosnan so did I. I'll rewrite that part.

Oh, he is in the movie. I was poking fun at how little screen time he actually got. Even on Netflix, his name is billed before Mila's name. You are perfectly fine with the way it is.

"Defendants"

*Lists IP addresses*

...Good luck with that.

I would imagine who ever owns the home associated with that IP at the time is on the hook.  It doesn't matter if they actually downloaded it or not?

Oh, he is in the movie. I was poking fun at how little screen time he actually got. Even on Netflix, his name is billed before Mila's name. You are perfectly fine with the way it is.

Oh I got that, just rearranged the order.  :Pand wrote her name

I would imagine who ever owns the home associated with that IP at the time is on the hook.  It doesn't matter if they actually downloaded it or not?

Would still be difficult to prosecute. If the defendant has their wifi unsecured, or if the IP's are a proxy. It's just difficult to prove who the person that done it was. It's mostly a scare tactic.

The longest running market bubble is hollywood (figuratively speaking), and it looks like they are going full out to keep that bubble patched up.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Well maybe you should make a video marketplace where I can get all my movies digitally and streaming huh.

What a terrible idea.

Well maybe you should make a video marketplace where I can get all my movies digitally and streaming huh.

What a terrible idea.

Maybe while they're at it, they could sue the pants off of the worlds major ISP's and force them to provide decent service where video streaming actually works.

I love how much defending of stolen content there is. 

that being said, theres no way this will work. could say any number of people used the computer/ip. if I pirate this in school, and who ever gets the bill gets the ticket, lol

I love how much defending of stolen content there is. 

that being said, theres no way this will work. could say any number of people used the computer/ip. if I pirate this in school, and who ever gets the bill gets the ticket, lol

As pointed out in another thread, it's not stolen content. Copyright infringement is copyright infringement, not theft.

Not saying it's legal, or moral, just saying that it's not theft, stop calling it theft, call it what it is. Copyright infringement.

In more than one jurisdiction the owner of an internet subscription has been held responsible even if they claimed someone else used their connection. The problem of dynamic ip's is easily resolved by checking the MAC address of an ip at the time.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

LOL keep rolling the dice children. Your tickit will soon be up. Get jobs or get bent.  Anyone that pirates copyrighted stuff should get wacked with fines. And again, i dont need proof of who did it, Just nail the parents or who ever is paying for their ISP.  

And again, i dont need proof of who did it, Just nail the parents or who ever is paying for their ISP.  

Because parents are the guilty ones and they know what their kids are doing on PC all the time, or even better, they forced their kids to pirate it, if the kids did it at all. So if you can't find a mass murderer and sentence him to life sentence you should send his/her parents to jail for life? Or if someone goes to a public network and pirates the movie, why not fine a coffee shop for instance? I mean they are encouraging pirating right?

That is one of the dumbest statements that exist, "Well let the parents take the blame, they can prevent anything and are always at fault". Please...

And you can't say someone is guilty w/o proof. So there is that.

Because parents are the guilty ones and they know what their kids are doing on PC all the time, or even better, they forced their kids to pirate it, if the kids did it at all. So if you can't find a mass murderer and sentence him to life sentence you should send his/her parents to jail for life? Or if someone goes to a public network and pirates the movie, why not fine a coffee shop for instance? I mean they are encouraging pirating right?

That is one of the dumbest statements that exist, "Well let the parents take the blame, they can prevent anything and are always at fault". Please...

And you can't say someone is guilty w/o proof. So there is that.

Yes  the parents are responsible for their childrens actions, and anything that goes on in their house. period. Its called PARENTING and being head of household. If you dont know what it is you should look it up.

.  lol @ comparing this to murder.

Quit defending the notion that stealing is okay. Finding ways to rationalize thievery is evidence enough that you are a self entitled moron.

be gone idiot. 

one more thing, keep using pop corn time. keep taking those movies. You will get caught. and you will pay, or who ever is responsible for paying the cable bill. 

-snip-

Oh you make me laugh.

On Topic: Ill wait till they start doing shit in Aus then ill wait to see if my ISP will go to court as usual (iinet is a boss) then if all else fails ill be ordering a nice little pi and begin mac spoofing :)

and of course some other things that i'll keep to myself.

Oh you make me laugh.

On Topic: Ill wait till they start doing shit in Aus then ill wait to see if my ISP will go to court as usual (iinet is a boss) then if all else fails ill be ordering a nice little pi and begin mac spoofing :)

and of course some other things that i'll keep to myself.

MAC addresses have nothing to do with IP addresses, which they are using to 'find' these people

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.